Pa. local police to start class 1 inspections

lucerne tractor

Everyone is after the mighty buck, all off the back of the trucker. There is none left, I don't know what makes them think truckers are money trees? If they aren't doing it for proffit, then write a sitation to repair on site or with in 48 hrs. Concerned about safety? Go after the 90% of auto drivers using cell phones, driving truck is like walking through a bar full of drunks break dancing. The cars are all over the road these days. More towns will follow, this is on 81 so they know they got a gift horse. http://www.landlinemag.com/Story.aspx?StoryID=24816

• Like 1

“We have tens of thousands of trucks coming through every day,” Lagiovane said in a phone interview with Land Line earlier this week. “We straddle Interstate 81. It’s not just a few dozen trucks a day, it’s thousands of trucks per day. Over the last year or so, we’ve had one or two incidents of truck accidents. We don’t have any certified inspectors on our police force. We want to send two police officers to inspection school.”

"Tens of thousands of trucks per day" and "Over the last year or so, we’ve had one or two incidents of truck accidents."

Gadzooks! What took you so long to implement this program? Those Billy Big Riggers are out of control! Gift Horse is right. They have an accident rate that is unmeasurable and they're concerned about safety. Jackoffs. It's good to see the folks of Mercersburg can spot a bad idea when they see one.

Jim

Palm Beach County Sherrifs Office has a crew for truck inspections.

They would just hang out near a large pit. Picking off trucks all day.

I will say, some of those trucks needed to be parked.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I never had a problem with the state police pulling me over when I ran our lowboy,they would check over the permit and do a quick run around to make sure all the chains were tight and send me on my way.But now the local boys they were for the most part down right dumb.All they saw were the $$$$.I was grossing out at 150,000lbs one time and had just taken down a whole shit load of wires that were hanging low,but I was about 2" over what my permit allowed drop all the air out of the truck and trailer,so when they came to measure me I was 2"below the permit height.Still gave me a $350 ticket for some bullshit reason.

Coming back from Macungie last year with a pickup and trailer loaded with 10 tires and wheels and 2 sets of fenders. Pulled over by a State Trooper because I didn't have fenders on the trailer. When I said I see lowboys and log trailers without fenders all the time, his response was "I don't care how they do things in North Carolina, here you need fenders on your trailer". He noted the trailer was a 12,000# GVWR and I needed a Class A CDL (which I have). Then he then told me I needed reflective tape on the trailer and a brake away device. Since the truck and trailer were licensed in my company name and I was hauling commercial products he considered me to be a "Motor Carrier" and as such needed the name of my company on the door of the truck. Also as a "Motor Carrier" and he didn't "need a map to know that I was more than 100 miles from home", I needed a log book. That was a "$500 fine and an out of service". He told me to wait in my truck and he would get back to me. Twenty minutes later he came back with three tickets (name on the door, brake away device, and reflective tape) for a total of $263 and a "Have a safe trip". It didn't take long for me to figure out that he wrote the tickets that totaled close to the $300 pain threshold and what I would need to pay an attorney to represent me long distance. So I mailed my $263 donation to the State of Pennsylvania.

It's all a money maker. They see dollars signs rolling down the road. The local police around the South Hills of Pittsburgh have a "Joint Task Force" for truck enforcement. Each local dept. has there own "Truck Inspector" officer. Its a racket. These guys couldn't tell you their ass from a hole in the ground.

All it takes is one asshole driver to get them on all trucks like the story I posted a couple months ago of the foreign "Mexican" driver who lost his brakes going down the Green Tree Hill into the West End of Pgh. He took out quite a few cars and damaged some houses. The tractor was buried into a living room of one of the homes. They had to bring out a translator because he couldn't speak english. Luckily no one was killed,but because of guys like this they get tough on everyone.

Everyone is after the mighty buck, all off the back of the trucker. There is none left, I don't know what makes them think truckers are money trees? If they aren't doing it for proffit, then write a sitation to repair on site or with in 48 hrs. Concerned about safety? Go after the 90% of auto drivers using cell phones, driving truck is like walking through a bar full of drunks break dancing. The cars are all over the road these days. More towns will follow, this is on 81 so they know they got a gift horse. http://www.landlinemag.com/Story.aspx?StoryID=24816

One of the problems with this is that you have inspectors with (maybe) a highschool education, interpreting regulations and laws written by so called educated, knowledgeable professional's who have had no real practical experience in their field

As a result you are at the mercy of some usually incompetent over bearing cop with an attitude.

Arbitrary inspections and weight restrictions are the cash cow for a lot a the small towns in Pa.

• Like 1