To build or not to build?

Guys I'm throwing around the idea of picking up a B model tractor and mounting a small 5-6 yard 10' body on it maybe even making it a single axle with a small drop axle.

Things to consider these days...

Will it comply with Connecticut DOT

Will it run all day 5 days a week

What engine tranny and gears do I need

Is this even a good idea?

I would love to have a bad ass B model single axle dump truck to add to my RB688S Tri axle.

It's boring to own one of the ford or other smaller single axle trucks with dumps

Any ideas?

Thanks Mark

New Hope trucking

Greenwich CT

No reason it can't do the task, as long as you have a decent truck to start with, mechanical wise. Who's going to drive it? Can they handle two sticks? A quad box would give you some nice slow moving gears, but if you only plan on street driving a duplex/triplex would work. I suppose it depends on how fast it is geared out back.

Not sure about the DOT, but can't see if it is not up to par per 1960's legislation, it won't pass.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Any suggestions about what motor/tranny to look for?? I don't know anything about the old models so I need advice about brakes and if the truck was repowered what is good and what is a poor combination.

And steering what do I need for easy going modern steering

Power steering was optional back in the B days. There are trucks out there with it. You can retro fit something too, but it is not always just a bolt on.

The non turbo 673(180 hp) will get the job done, but won't be fast. The 237 isn't a race horse either, but a bit more power. The 5spd behind a 237 will be easier to drive.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Find a mechanically sound R model and put a B cab and front on it. 237 or 300 with a 2 stick 6 speed is bullit prof. A bonus if you start with power steering and maxi cans. A short body on light tandems is better than a single axle for stopping and getting out of a hole.

what everyone else said is pretty much true. 673 or 711 will get the job done, slow. a 237 in a B model is perfect with a 5 speed. alright with a quad as long as you dont hot rod it. a 10' body wont fit on a single axle B model unless you add a foot to the frame and a 9' body is about useless as most newer loaders with 3 or 5 yard buckets will either hit the tailgate or the cab protector.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg