B Model Questions

When I first joined this site I was looking at a '66 R model, well that deal fell through so I was back in the market so to speak and I found a B-model. It's a single axle dump,B61, not sure what year though. Needs the floors replaced, but it has 2 shifters and on the left shifter it has a hi/lo splitter. What trans. would it have in it? I couldn't find a plate to show the shift pattern. It's a non turbo diesel. What I'm getting at is what should I offer to pay or what should be the max price to offer. And what is the differences through the years on these trucks? I've seen them from the 50's to later 60's. It'll be a good starter truck to work with and really needs very little done to it. Thanks in advance JOE

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Hard to say about the trans,not much info to go on.It must be a duplex,triplex,or quad. if it's got 2 sticks,all were available in B models.The hi-lo splitter,I don't know-does it have a 2 speed rear too? If you can get the number off the trans. you can go to www.oldmacksrus.com/trannys and find out what it is. And oldmacks.com has a trucks for sale page,with photos,where you might get some idea what it's worth.I gave $6000 for my B-53 mixer 3 years ago,it was in very good condition.I have seen B-models around for as little as $1,000-$1,200 but they needed lots of work.There was one in Cumberland,Va. for $3500 that was in pretty good shape,a single axle B-61 tractor.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

This truck is probably a $1,500.00 dollar truck. I'll see what I can get info wise on the trans. rThe biggest problem is the floor which is a easy fix, but who knows. Thanks for the reply and keep them coming. Thanks in advance JOE

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Well..........like mentioned it could have a choice of three different trannys. Duplex(10 spd), triplex(15 spd), Quad(20 spd). Is there a tag above winshield(in center) that shows shift pattern. It should unless someone removed it, or tranny was changed. Try shifting both levers and see what kind of pattern each has.

The Duplex will have the right stick only move forward/back(compound) and the left stick will be 5 spd.

The Triplex and Quad box will have left stick(compound) either 3 or 4 spds and right stick will be 5 spd.

The extra splitter on handle could be PTO control? or tailgate control? Two speed axle someone added? Who knows?

The B was made '53-65 with alot of configurations, three cab designs, two hood lengths, two hood widths. Price? That usually depends on what you are willing to pay, what he is willing to sell for. Location has alot to do with pricing also. $1500 might be good price, others might want $5500 for same truck. The floor is easily replaced, as I put a new one in my truck after I bought it. It was rough in the corners under windshield(that leaked) and I cut it all out and replaced it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thank you for the reply freightrain, I'm gonna go look at it again this week hopefully. I'm gonna check to see if I see a plate anywhere or mess around with the gears to see what I can find out. The floor on the passenger side it pretty much rotted out. It's only about 8 miles from my house so moving it will be pretty easy.I just wonder if it will run and drive. The hardest part is finding out who owns it to ask if it is even for sale. Thanks for the reply guys and keep them coming, except for you bigmactrucker I can drive a truck and I'm a man not BOY.

Isn't it so funny... when "lil' boys" get on here and act like they know what they are talking about. Much Like yourself. One day lil' man.. when you grow up.. maybe one of us on here can show you how to drive a real truck! :rolleyes: Later kid...

I consider your personal attack neither warranted, welcome, or necessary.

Please take it someplace else. Participate positively, or do not participate. A lot of good, useful information is exchanged, and discovered here and that is the point to this website. It is not for some smart alec to hide behind a computer keyboard and make personal attacks.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I consider your personal attack neither warranted, welcome, or necessary.

Please take it someplace else. Participate positively, or do not participate. A lot of good, useful information is exchanged, and discovered here and that is the point to this website. It is not for some smart alec to hide behind a computer keyboard and make personal attacks.

Rob

That sounds like a good plan.I could have thougt of that my self but you beat me to it Rob. glenn

glenn akers

Joe if any possible ya probly could find model number on tranny & tell us im sure someone here would know & could tell ya then bro just an idea man ;)

Hate to put Herb on the spot but i think HK could tell ya if ya find a model # on tranny ;)

sounds like a cool lil project

for example :like "olddog" has a 10 spd duplex I belive its TD772 or TRD772 ON mine ;)

Sure sounds like a personal attack personal attacks are not welcome here & are :icon_bs::angry:

This a board for members to exchange info with each other & help each other out ;)

Ditto on what Rob said & i have vented & have put my 2 cents in, fell better now

& hope that helps ya joe or throw idea @ ya bro

Later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

If you crawl under the the truck, look on the driverside of the tranny about the middle and you should find a flat spot with a few lines of numbers on them. Like Mack mentioned "TRD", "TRT", "TRQ" (the last letter means "d"uplex, "t"riplex, "q"uad) and the following numbers gives the gear ratio inside. There are alot of different gear ratios available, but that is not all that critical right now.

If you want wiggle the handles and figure out the patterns, then that is a cleaner way to find out what you have.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Joe,

We need little more info on the gear shift with the splitter - little chrome flipper that goes side to side?? This could be a 9 or 10 speed Unishift and the second stick could be a aux. box (go faster box!). When you crawl under this B to get trans number, look long enough to see if short drive shaft from trans to another small trans. Let us know!!!!

For the MR BIG TIME TRUCKER - Rob put my thoughts in civil words. Out here on Ignorant Ridge the language would be - Pal, when you get enough B model miles on your ass, it won't be so smart!

The splitter I was talking about goes up and down. It says up-high, down low. I dove a '65 autocar with a 10 speed and the splitter was like this. With my wife in the hospital I've not had time to look at it again, but hopefully monday I will. Thanks for the help guys and for being patient with me. JOE

I had a couple of those old aluminum range selector valves in my tool box,they don't use that type now,they use that little plastic flipper button,and I polished one of them up and put it on my old Ford pickup gearshift.Strictly for decorative purposes of course.That was some years ago,but it's still around somewhere i'm sure. And i've seen a B-53 mixer with a little chrome flipper switch in a CB antannae ( sorry,I can't spell antenna ) mounting bracket on the compound gear shift that worked the brake lights-that would be me. I put LED tail lights on it,and they had to be wired backwards to work with a positive ground.I got the marker lights and turn signals working and figured 2 outa 3 ain't bad,and just put 2 more lights on for brake lights and hooked them up to the spring loaded toggle switch on the gearshift lever.Might not meet the official "brake light standard of installation and operation procedure comittee" rules,but it works great.

Oh sorry,my train of thought got derailed by brake lights.The truck you're looking at- no idea what it might be for.I did see an old White with a 5 speed main,4 speed auxilliary, AND a 2 speed rear. And this was from the factory,not like the guy with the thirteen speed,3 speed ,and 2 speed rear.There I go again...

Joe,

We need little more info on the gear shift with the splitter - little chrome flipper that goes side to side?? This could be a 9 or 10 speed Unishift and the second stick could be a aux. box (go faster box!). When you crawl under this B to get trans number, look long enough to see if short drive shaft from trans to another small trans. Let us know!!!!

For the MR BIG TIME TRUCKER - Rob put my thoughts in civil words. Out here on Ignorant Ridge the language would be - Pal, when you get enough B model miles on your ass, it won't be so smart!

Hey fuzzy buzzard,where is Vinton if anywhere? Couldn't find it on the map. I've been about everywhere in Ohio at one time or another.

If you crawl under the the truck, look on the driverside of the tranny about the middle and you should find a flat spot with a few lines of numbers on them. Like Mack mentioned "TRD", "TRT", "TRQ" (the last letter means "d"uplex, "t"riplex, "q"uad) and the following numbers gives the gear ratio inside. There are alot of different gear ratios available, but that is not all that critical right now.

If you want wiggle the handles and figure out the patterns, then that is a cleaner way to find out what you have.

yeah,wiggle the handles-that's also the best,easiest,and fastest way to figure it out...why didn't I think of that...too obvious

I like the idea about the taillights otherdog, I might try to run by there this evening to see what i can find out. I'm hoping it won't be to dark after work to check on a few things. Ramble away otherdog i like listening or reading in my case about things.

I like the idea about the taillights otherdog, I might try to run by there this evening to see what i can find out. I'm hoping it won't be to dark after work to check on a few things. Ramble away otherdog i like listening or reading in my case about things.
lol, that's good,because when I get on a roll it's hard to stop sometimes.

Well,shoot! I went around Gladys and raised a sizable militia,and all three of us were going to march on Millington,Tn.,and attack.But,since personal attacks are against the rules,as acting general I called it off.Must be your lucky day...you know who you are...

Well,shoot! I went around Gladys and raised a sizable militia,and all three of us were going to march on Millington,Tn.,and attack.But,since personal attacks are against the rules,as acting general I called it off.Must be your lucky day...you know who you are...
As Larry would say,now that's just funny right there,I don't care who you are.