1974 Mack CF600 Pumper

RWC130

Hey Guys.....

I'm a Volunteer Firefighter in Westchester County, NY

Back in December I purchased a 1974 Mack CF685 Pumper.

She runs great but..... I have some concerns on the last time ANY type of

Preventive Maintenance was done.

I want to get a full PM but I don't have a lot of money. I do have a friend who is a

Diesel Mechanic and will do the work for me but I have to find all the stuff.

"Get everything and call me" yeah right.... HELP!

WHAT DO I GET?

SUGGESTIONS?

Mack, Baldwin, etc.

I will assume I need to Change the Oil and Transmission Fluids.

New Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Oil Filter?

I'm guessing a Radiator Flush would not hurt.

Coolant Filter? No idea what that is. lol

My apparatus information:

1974 Mack CF600 - CF685F(10)1675

Maxidyne ENDT675 (Turbocharged In line six) 237 HP

Allison Automatic Transmission HT740DH

I have no idea what parts or fluids to get.

Any PROS here that can help? Thank you!

Rob

Edited by RWC130

Welcome to BMT and congrats on your purchase. Post some pics when you get a chance. We love pics!

I prefer OE filters. The coolant filter (if it has one) is usually mounted on the thermostat housing. I doubt it was originally built with a coolant filter but not a bad idea to add one. Engine oil - 15W-40 (my preference is Shell Rotella T) but any major brand with API CJ-4 will work. Allison recommends their branded fluid. Rear axle fluid - full synthetic (75W-90?).

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Welcome aboard. Nice truck, even if it is green! As Kermit said "It easy being green."

Synthetics are great, but given the low miles you will probably put on the truck I'd save the money.

Ask the Chief Engineer at the VFD who does their work. It may turn out that he can do your truck more cheaply than you can based on the volume of product they use.

An oil analysis may save you the expense of doing anything right now. A search of the forum will turn up the "how" to get an analysis done.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 1 month later...

that's a great looking mack ,my company had a 72, was the best truck we ever had including all the new apparatus we have now, I pumped with it for 9 hrs straight in 1980 and didn't miss a beat.

The CRADEL OF LIBERTY chapter of SPAAMFAA Iis hosting the national antique fire muster this summer in south jersey(cherry hill).

bring your mack down.....

I'm waiting for red spray paint to go on sale at home depot. lol

Thanks guys! :clock_logo:

Check with the boys down in Whitehall, LA posted under "One for Vinny". They could probably hook you up with some red paint.

Seriously, I'm an old timer from the seventies but I think that the lime-yellow looks good. I've seen red, green, yellow, blue, and other

colored Macks. Macks always look good no matter what the color.

bulldogboy

I bought my fuel filters at a local carquest for around $30 each, and just changed them myself. They are very simple and fairly easy to reach from under the truck. Just make sure you fill them before you put them back on. It's probably cheaper to do it yourself than have someone else do it. And you may want to check the air filter before you replace it. If I remember correctly, you may be able to clean it with soap and water, or blow it clean with air (directions would be on the filter itself). Nice looking truck though! I especially like how they enclosed the cab and kept the curve of the body, looks great!

that's a great looking mack ,my company had a 72, was the best truck we ever had including all the new apparatus we have now, I pumped with it for 9 hrs straight in 1980 and didn't miss a beat.

The CRADEL OF LIBERTY chapter of SPAAMFAA Iis hosting the national antique fire muster this summer in south jersey(cherry hill).

bring your mack down.....

The Cradle of Liberty Antique Fire Apparatus Association (CLAFAA) is proud to host the 2013 SPAAMFAA Summer

Convention & Muster ! For a downloadble brochure, click HERE .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some changes....

I added a Blue lens to the lightbar on the roof and removed

all of the lettering except the "29-59"

Gold leaf was in really bad shape. Hopefully I will re-letter it sometime.

PROGRESS!

May 15, 2013

post-12257-0-10267000-1368874091_thumb.j

post-12257-0-81660200-1368874080_thumb.j

post-12257-0-81417800-1368874013_thumb.j

post-12257-0-79457400-1368874023_thumb.j

post-12257-0-52341600-1368874062_thumb.j

post-12257-0-59933900-1368874034_thumb.j

• Like 1

They never requested I remove the lettering. The problem is the gold leaf was in very bad shape, flaking off

in most areas and faded. I removed it with easy-off oven cleaner (yellow can) and I was amazed at how great it worked.

I had to apply some muscle with a brush but the good news is no damage to the paint at all. I did this after

getting some tips from a sign/lettering guy and autobody tech.

You spray it on and let it sit for 10-15 min. Then rub it with a light scrub brush. You have to repeat this usually 2-3 times but it comes right off. Once you are finished WASH THE ENTIRE AREA WITH SOAP AND WATER!

Trust me I was very nervous putting easy off oven cleaner on my fire truck but it really worked great.

Edited by RWC130

• 3 weeks later...