1962 Caterpillar D6B Restoration

jakebrake86

When I was about 10 years old (long time ago now), I had the chance to do a ride along with a cable D-7. The contractor was putting in a new road on a development for my Dad and I was being a sidewalk supervisor. The operator called me over and asked if I wanted to watch from the best seat in the house. So, I spent the rest of the afternoon on the machine as the road was cut.

Pretty good deal for this kid!

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Leslie...nice vids. My JD 730 tractor has a 4cyl. pony starting engine. Start the pony engine, pull decompession lever, engage pony to main engine, let it build oil pressure, close decompession lever, let the main engine turn over a few times, give the main engine fuel, and off you go. Sounds similar to the vids except...PUTT PUTT PUTT...

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Action starts at 3:48...lots of cool info...Ken, you oughta post a video of yours starting!

Yep, that be it! I will if I ever get it running again. Pony engine carb being rebuilt (a second time). On my long list of "stuff I need to do but too lazy to do". :whistling:

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I have run some of that old stuff, and i think i worked harder pulling levers and concentrating and anticipating terrain and working legs than I would have ifn I had just climbed off, got me a rake and hoe and shovel and did it by hand. Im not making fun of them, I love em, but sure is hard work and a big difference to the equipment today. randyp

I have run some of that old stuff, and i think i worked harder pulling levers and concentrating and anticipating terrain and working legs than I would have ifn I had just climbed off, got me a rake and hoe and shovel and did it by hand. Im not making fun of them, I love em, but sure is hard work and a big difference to the equipment today. randyp

Yep, you definitely get a good day's exercise in on a direct drive machine. I've put in a few hours on them and loved it. My next goal is to learn to run a dragline... Just haven't had the opportunity yet.

Jake

Yep, you definitely get a good day's exercise in on a direct drive machine. I've put in a few hours on them and loved it. My next goal is to learn to run a dragline... Just haven't had the opportunity yet.

I did actually get to dig and dump 5 buckets on big giant B&E dragline one night on the graveyard shift with no big bosses around. Operator was so nervous bout it, thas all he let me have. I understand his concern though, boom as long as a football field, 120 yard bucket, any screwups going on him. They are very simple to operate though. However, one mistake can cost millions. randyp

• Like 1

I did actually get to dig and dump 5 buckets on big giant B&E dragline one night on the graveyard shift with no big bosses around. Operator was so nervous bout it, thas all he let me have. I understand his concern though, boom as long as a football field, 120 yard bucket, any screwups going on him. They are very simple to operate though. However, one mistake can cost millions. randyp

Man, that would be something! Gonna have to put that on my bucket list.

• Like 1

Jake

here are some pic of my old Cats.

Mike the little Cat pic of your is the same one in my avatar...it holds my mail box at the end of my driveway.

My uncle swore by the pony motor and cables. He always said no batteries to get stolen or go dead. He never like hydraulics. Said if the hydraulics go your down for the count. Break a cable and you can shorten it up or splice it and keep working. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Mike the little Cat pic of your is the same one in my avatar...it holds my mail box at the end of my driveway.

My uncle swore by the pony motor and cables. He always said no batteries to get stolen or go dead. He never like hydraulics. Said if the hydraulics go your down for the count. Break a cable and you can shorten it up or splice it and keep working. Paul

My uncle felt the same way about the cable blade, but on the other hand he hated Cat machines and loved the TD-24's I know I know!! 24volts to start on gas, and a shelf full of new or reman cyl heads! (anyone with a TD-24 had cracked heads or was gonna have a cracked head!) But the old D-8's would not push the heavy NY transfer trailer loads (you dumped per yd not wt) Those push out trailer's from Mt Vernon NY would dump there load an it would sink into the garbage! The IH 24's with the 2 speed steering could cut the load in half without loosing power to the track. Then came the TD-25 and today is still my fav.

BULLHUSK

bullhusk, nice ride, spent alot of time on a 15c. with a straight pipe and 2nd gear you could move alot of dirt. what year is yours. i have a winch here still that would bolt right on to your machine. controls and all. ypu got the 466 or 505 engine.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

bullhusk, nice ride, spent alot of time on a 15c. with a straight pipe and 2nd gear you could move alot of dirt. what year is yours. i have a winch here still that would bolt right on to your machine. controls and all. ypu got the 466 or 505 engine.

gg2

Thanks! I think it's a 1984? I bought it from the orig. owner, he rebuilt the motor (DT-466) and just put a new Berco UC under her

BULLHUSK

I own a d7e that i wish was pony start now. Two new Caterpillar 8d batterys two new 4/0 battery cables one new solenoid engine still cranking over slowly. guess 500.00 starter next? hugh

Is it a 24V starter or 12V ? If it's 24V just make sure the Bat.'s are hooked up cor.

BULLHUSK

Thanks! I think it's a 1984? I bought it from the orig. owner, he rebuilt the motor (DT-466) and just put a new Berco UC under her

BULLHUSK

make sure you run her good and get those new tracks broke in, cause if you dont you will get some real stiff links. no pun intended

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

can you still get parts for those from cat or do you have to dig around in tractor slavage yards??

When my mail box holder was still operational, I got parts from here, Some new surplus some remans and some good used. they're in Illinois .

http://parts.cat.com/parts/surplus-used

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE