Is this true?

tkobes43

My truck (International 4400) has a factory gvw of 33000. Is it true if you register it at the DMV for more weight and you put stickers on the side of the truck that are more then 33000 DOT can't do anything about it if your over the 33000 pound mark because you have it registered for more weight.....

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

My truck (International 4400) has a factory gvw of 33000. Is it true if you register it at the DMV for more weight and you put stickers on the side of the truck that are more then 33000 DOT can't do anything about it if your over the 33000 pound mark because you have it registered for more weight.....

Tom

Tom,

Not sure about the laws in your state. But, in other states, you can be cited for carrying more weight than the unit is tagged for, OR for carrying more weight than the factory GVWR. Here, in NC, there IS a provision in the DMV regulations that state that, if appropriate modification have been made to the vehicle to allow it to carry more weight, that it can be tagged heavier than GVWR. It does NOT, however, go into any explanation of exactly what those types of modification would be. One can only assume that adding a tag axle, for instance, would entitle the unit to more weight.

It's one of those things you don't want to learn in the court room, isn't it?

Kent

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

In most states unless you have an overweight permit you're allowed 20,000 lbs on a single drive axle, & you can run 20,000 lbs on the steer axle also, but only if the steer axle & steer tires are designed to handle that weight. Most single axle trucks have a 12,000 lb steer axle, so you get 20,000 on the drive & 12,000 on the steer which equals 32,000 lbs gross.

• Like 1

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

As Herb said, 20k per axle or 34k for tandems on the interstates. With a spread axle your trailer is 20k per axle so you should be legal at 72,000 if the axles and tires are rated accordingly. You also need to look at the bridge law for required spacing on all axle groups and all axles total.

Your truck GVWR is 33,000. Probably 23k rear and 10k front. What is the GCVWR? THE "C" is combination. You should be able to license up to the GCVWR that would include the trailer.

Tell me if I'm following you correctly. My truck has a GVW of 33k. The trailer has a GVW of 26000. So if I'm following you correctly, the GCVWR is 59k. Would i be able to register it for 59k for my total GVW for the truck and trailer?

The tarasport is a "Lighter" duty trailer meant to be towed by single axle trucks.

Tom

the dmv is only gonna register it for legal axle weights..on both units,20,000 for single,,34000,for twin axles,,but thats for heavy duty duels,but if the trailer only has single light duty tires on it,,,now thats a differant story,,maybe that might make more sence to ya,,,your only gonna get popped if you have to cross a state truck scale,or if your load is obiously overweight,you might be stopped by local commercial enforsement,but i dont recommend that you overload,,if nothing else,,its very dangeruos,,especially on your tires...basically if you want to add weight to your unit,,,you need to add axles...good luck..bob

I just got off the phone with my uncle who has been a Owner Operator trucker for over 25 years, he says it all depends on what you register the truck at at the DMV... The truck could have a 33k gvw but you can register it at 60k and you'll be fine crossing the scales at 59k, Just as long you don't go over the weight of what the truck is registered for!

Tom

Tell me if I'm following you correctly. My truck has a GVW of 33k. The trailer has a GVW of 26000. So if I'm following you correctly, the GCVWR is 59k. Would i be able to register it for 59k for my total GVW for the truck and trailer?

The tarasport is a "Lighter" duty trailer meant to be towed by single axle trucks.

Tom

If the GVWR on your trailer is only 26,000# then you obviously don't have 20,000# axles. Yes, you should be able to tag the truck for 59,000#. Check and see if there is a gross combination vehicle weight rating on your truck. If it's less than 59,000# than that would be the limit you would use for your tag. Single axle class eight trucks have a gvwr of 33,000# and a gcvwr of 80,000#. Thats how they pull doubles.

I just got off the phone with my uncle who has been a Owner Operator trucker for over 25 years, he says it all depends on what you register the truck at at the DMV... The truck could have a 33k gvw but you can register it at 60k and you'll be fine crossing the scales at 59k, Just as long you don't go over the weight of what the truck is registered for!

Tom

You usually are not allowed to register for more than the combination weight rating. In addition to being under the gross weight limit you also have to have your load distributed so each axle is under it's limit.

You usually are not allowed to register for more than the combination weight rating. In addition to being under the gross weight limit you also have to have your load distributed so each axle is under it's limit.

and in CT they check to make sure the tires are rated for the weight and the brake linings are rated for that weight and they do not allow over GVWR

Matt

In TN you tag the truck for the GCW I had 80,000# tags on my tractors, WHen I got my Overload permit for the lowboy I could get a permit for whatever weight but they told me I could not exceed the axle ratings so I went with a 120,000# permit, I had a 14,600 steer, 44,000 rears, and a triaxle trailer with 3-20,000# axles so I was only legal for 118,600# with a 120,000# permit, the federal bridge law table for 6 axles showed me only legal for 90,000# so on secondary roads I hauled up to 118,000 gross and on the interstate I tried to stay under 90,000, with a tag axle on my truck @7 axles I would have been legal for 95,000 on the interstate and my full 120,000 permit on TN roads and I would have had 138,600 worth of axles. Hope that helps it was a long road getting there but Im done. How long is your wheelbase from the center of your steer tire to the center of your rear tire and how many axles, 4? if you are 4 axles in 40ft your good for 68,500# on the fed bridge law its 500# more for every foot of length and 500# less for every foot less than 40 and if you are at say 39'7" you are only legal for the 39' weight of 68,000. any questions? LOL!

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

So then am i okay registering at 59k cause thats my combination weight rating?

Tom

Oh and the GCWR is not the combination of your truck and trailer GVWR's it is the trucks GCWR that matters, the trailer has no bearing if the truck is under the rating of the trailer, the truck should have GVWR and GCWR stamped in the door, if the GCWR is not on the label thats a whole nother issue the DOT can then say it is not built as a combination vehicle and you fall back to a default 10,000# trailer rating of a class B CDL. International can make a replacement GVW tag for your truck if they "convert it " in the shop, for most trucks that means adding trailer brake valves, also I hope you have a Class A CDL as any truck over 26,000 GVWR towing a trailer over 10,000#s requires it, any truck over 26,000# GVWR towing a trailer under 10,000# is a class B. ( I used to teach CDL for a little while at Opryland Hotel Transportation Dept.) again hope that helps Ive been here before .

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

So then am i okay registering at 59k cause thats my combination weight rating?

Tom

Is that what it says in the door of the truck or are you getting that with a cackalator?

Tom, New Jersey doesn't do combined weight like NY does. You can register the truck for whatever you want. If you get pulled over and weighed then you will be over on the axles. I'm out of NJ and have my International at 40,000. I run into NY and they count the trailer, truck and machine as combined weight ( I pull a tagalong). My truck was rated for 33,000 originally 21 rear 12 on front but I have 30,000 springs and an extra leaf on the front now. Jersey counts trailer and truck seperate. You can get an overweight permit for New York for a single axle I think it was 40 something thousand lbs it was $300.00 a year. My Mack I have the same weight registration but I could probably up it. NY was 22,500 on the rear axle as far as what is permitted.

Cheers, Robert

In TN you tag the truck for the GCW I had 80,000# tags on my tractors, WHen I got my Overload permit for the lowboy I could get a permit for whatever weight but they told me I could not exceed the axle ratings so I went with a 120,000# permit, I had a 14,600 steer, 44,000 rears, and a triaxle trailer with 3-20,000# axles so I was only legal for 118,600# with a 120,000# permit, the federal bridge law table for 6 axles showed me only legal for 90,000# so on secondary roads I hauled up to 118,000 gross and on the interstate I tried to stay under 90,000, with a tag axle on my truck @7 axles I would have been legal for 95,000 on the interstate and my full 120,000 permit on TN roads and I would have had 138,600 worth of axles. Hope that helps it was a long road getting there but Im done. How long is your wheelbase from the center of your steer tire to the center of your rear tire and how many axles, 4? if you are 4 axles in 40ft your good for 68,500# on the fed bridge law its 500# more for every foot of length and 500# less for every foot less than 40 and if you are at say 39'7" you are only legal for the 39' weight of 68,000. any questions? LOL!

Yeah but Tn is a 20k an Axle state. Last permit I had (yearly permit) 150k any amount of axles no more then 20k Per axle. But Tn also does amedment permits when you have the big annual. So weather you got 40,44,46,48 axles your only gonna get 20k. Now the only scale that weighs you is on 81 before 40. Otherwise if your oversize just pull around back and walk in.

Tom 12k steer 21k drive and whatever the trailer is rated at. So your pretty well limited to 59k Or cars and anything light.

Oh and the GCWR is not the combination of your truck and trailer GVWR's it is the trucks GCWR that matters, the trailer has no bearing if the truck is under the rating of the trailer, the truck should have GVWR and GCWR stamped in the door, if the GCWR is not on the label thats a whole nother issue the DOT can then say it is not built as a combination vehicle and you fall back to a default 10,000# trailer rating of a class B CDL. International can make a replacement GVW tag for your truck if they "convert it " in the shop, for most trucks that means adding trailer brake valves, also I hope you have a Class A CDL as any truck over 26,000 GVWR towing a trailer over 10,000#s requires it, any truck over 26,000# GVWR towing a trailer under 10,000# is a class B. ( I used to teach CDL for a little while at Opryland Hotel Transportation Dept.) again hope that helps Ive been here before .

The statement about a Class A CDL is not true in all states if you are NOT commercial, regardless of weight being hauled.

Ok I think i understand the big question. should tom register the truck for 33,000 lbs or 59,000 lbs at the gcvw of the tractor and trailer?

What is the proper and legal thing?

I know you can register for under gvw but I have never heard of registering or more than the factory rating. This is where the question of the total combination comes in.

• Like 1

The statement about a Class A CDL is not true in all states if you are NOT commercial, regardless of weight being hauled.

he is acting as a commercial entity, if you receive payment for services (hauling anything anywhere) you are running a commercial vehicle. I know you are not required to have a cdl if you are not for hire I didn't think that was a question at all, if so everybody with an antique truck or rv would have to have a cdl. If you operate a commercial vehicle, defined as any vehicle used by any entity in exchange for reimbursement for services rendered, like if you drive a delivery truck at work or haul anything in interstate or intrastate commerce you need a commercial drivers license. The cdl can be class a vehicles over 26k trailers over 10k, b vehicles over 26k trailers under 10k, c vehicles under 26k trailers under 10k, and if you drive a small vehicle at work a class d with an f endorsement (for hire).

I hate to even comment about CDL stuff, because it seems to always ignite a powder keg, but some folks here are discussing CDL requirements. So, for what it's worth, I'll throw a little info out there. Sorry to all the other folks who were talking about something else altogether! But, maybe it will be useful to somebody anyway.

There are federal guidelines on commercial vehicles & licenses. There are also state guidelines on both commercial and non-commercial licenses. The state guidelines typically parallel the federal guidelines, but can be a little different from state to state.

Here in NC, there are both commercial and non-commercial licenses in class A, B, and C. Yep, 6 different licenses. And, there are endorsements for various things. There are even restrictions against certain things.

The class A, B, and C are directly tied to the weight and configuration of the vehicle, as several folks have mentioned above.

A class A vehicle is a combination vehicle of 26,001# or more GVWR (total of truck and trailer GVWRs), provided that 10,001# or more is on the trailer. The actual NC general statute also states that a combination vehicle of less than 26,001# combined GVWR is a class A vehicle, IF the trailer is 10,001# or more GVWR. But, more on that later.

A class B is a single vehicle of 26,001# or more GVWR. By definition, this vehicle can pull a trailer of up to 10,000#. If the trailer goes to 10,001# or more, this combination becomes a class A.

A class C is a vehicle which is not a class A or B. Single vehicles under 26,001# GVWR fall into this category. There are also certain provisions which have been changed, such as the addition of "any combination of vehicles up to 26,000# GVWR, driven by a person of at least 18 years of age." This was added in recent years, and means that certain combinations of vehicles, which would have fallen under the second type of class A vehicles, can actually be considered class C. An example of this would be a 15,000# GVWR truck and an 11,000# GVWR trailer. This would have met that second provision (over 10,000# trailer). But, with the addition of the newest class C description, actually can be driven by a class C license holder of 18 years or more age, because the combined GVWR did not reach 26,001#. Oh, and if you read between the lines, there ARE combinations of over 26,001# GVWR which could fall into class C. If a 25,000# class C truck is pulling a 3,000# trailer, this 28,000# combination DOES NOT meet either the class A or B requirements. As such, it fits the definition of a class C. That one will generally start a feud!

The commercial and non-commercial are just that...if the vehicle is engaged in the furtherance of a commercial endeavor, you need a commercial license of the appropriate class for the vehicle. If the vehicle is not used for any commercial purpose, then you need a non-commercial license of the correct class for the vehicle. The commercial use is what determine this. Obviously, if you are being paid to haul something, that is commercial. Also, if you are hauling YOUR stuff, but are being paid to use that stuff when you get it there, that is also commercial. An example would be hauling your dozer to perform paid dozer work for someone. Since the vehicle is involved in the furtherance of the commercial endeavor (paid dozer work), then the vehicle itself is commercial. This also parallels the "For Hire" and "Private" motor carrier definitions.

They (NC) do have one exception, however. If a commercial vehicle is a class C, and is not carrying a certain number of passengers or a certain quantity of hazardous material, then it does not require a commercial license. This is the case of a pickup truck which belongs to a construction company, for instance. Only non-commercial, class C licenses are required to operate them, even though they are engaged in the furtherance of a commercial endeavor. But, if you haul over a certain number of passengers, or haul hazardous materials in sufficient quantities to require placards, then a class C commercial license is required. This is also the source of the most confusion among discussions of commercial vs. non-commercial licenses around here. Many people think that any vehicle over 26,000# automatically requires a commercial license. Not so. According to the law, any vehicle UNDER 26,000# automatically takes a NON-COMMERCIAL license, providing it does not meet the passengers or hazardous material stipulations.

Again, the class A, B, or C is a classification based on configuration and GVWR. Commercial or non-commercial is a different discussion altogether.

All that being said, this is NC law. Your state can be different. If so, learn the laws in your state. I don't know them! I HAVE, however, spent many, many hours both studying the NC general statutes, and discussing the various scenarios with the folks at the NC DMV. I actually found most of them to be very helpful, once they actually understood the questions you were asking.

Also, I am not a lawyer. I do not offer legal advice. I only tell what I have leaned, or how I have interpreted it. My only advice is to contact the authorities in your state, tell them what you are trying to figure out, and talk to them.

Oh, and one other thing...disregard any advice from anyone who starts a sentence with "I've always heard ..." or "I always thought.." or "I was always told..." Go straight to horse's mouth (or the other end, depending on the individual!), and try to get the facts straight. Also, READ the actual general stautes for your state. They can be difficult to read, but sometimes they actually make some sense.

Good luck!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."