Thoughts on this truck?

Friend of mine is looking at restored trucks,and is considering this one.Looks like a nice "driver resto" that could be used,cruised and showed.They are asking 50K for the truck,and I've seen it advertised in MANY places and it doesn't seem to be moving.Wondering what an honest value of the truck would be?I'm not that familiar with B87's.Not sure what it looks like under the hood either.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=3954199

post-2598-0-49544800-1357873935_thumb.jp

post-2598-0-78908400-1357874013_thumb.jp

Looks like a nice heavy hauler, looks like id buy a ch set forward or a granite I could use to work with for that money though.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

pricey maybe but if you think of all taht is been done on it and the prices of parts I do not think

he is far off , but I agree if it is a show truck or a hobby truck it is pricey , but don't let me win some good $$$

because I would consider it !!! it is a beauty , I'm not sure either if you can have a recent truck even a Mack

that strong today .

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale

I have a 1964 B873SX tractor that I'm in the process of redoing.We have owned the truck since new,so the truck means alot more to me then anyone else.You couldn't give me $50,000 for my truck.I'm not saying it worth that to someone else but to me it is,I guess if I had to sell it then that would be a different story.Before I started on my truck I would have driven it to CA. and back.Like I said before the only thing that would stop me would be the 3-4 mpg.My trucks serial number ends in 1117 so it not that far off that truck.Good luck to who ever buys it.

I have a 1964 B873SX tractor that I'm in the process of redoing.We have owned the truck since new,so the truck means alot more to me then anyone else.You couldn't give me $50,000 for my truck.I'm not saying it worth that to someone else but to me it is,I guess if I had to sell it then that would be a different story.Before I started on my truck I would have driven it to CA. and back.Like I said before the only thing that would stop me would be the 3-4 mpg.My trucks serial number ends in 1117 so it not that far off that truck.Good luck to who ever buys it.

Wow,wouldn't of thought it'd be that bad on fuel!I think 25K maybe for this one condition wise would be fair.It has minor rust on parts,leaks,some of it is untouched.Just curious what others think the guy should offer.Not sure how "FIRM" they are???

Mine has some rust,but nothing major.Doors both shut tight,don't sag on hingles.No leaks.I can remember taking our truck out of our yard with a Cat D9 dozer on the lowboy and take it to Allentown,PA that wasn't 100 miles one way and if I was to come home loaded I would have to get fuel before I left to come home.I was ok if I was empty coming home.In the early 80's we did a job in Maryland and we didn't even make it one way with a load on.When it was loaded I think it would get about 1-2 mpg.Between the 2 tanks it only held 100 gallons.But it was the best truck I ever drove,it never left us stranded.I also had a CL700 with most all the bells and whisters,like a/c air ride seat,radio,but the old B model just came to work and work it did.It 's 65,000 rears never went out,I think we rebuilt them once but that about all we ever did to that truck.I can see now what it means "BUILT LIKE A MACK TRUCK really means.Taking it apart I see that where ever Mack needed 2 bolts to hold something togather they used 3-4 bolts and over size ones at that.If you have anyother questions you can call me at 215-669-1252,MIke Durkin

If I had to pay a guy to do the work necessary to get the 815 from current condition to that condition it would be all of 50K. And the 815 is in running driving condition. The biggest problems are sheet metal repairs and the prep work to paint all of it. Otherwise it is a solid truck. So, as stated above, the $50 is a big bight but if what has already done is worth the price and you cannot do the work yourself, then its a deal.

Bear in mind you need a serious space to tear one down and a bunch of wheaties to lift all that stuff up and down a bunch of times. Doing it alone will take several years as well. It's a big job. If I had the money and a place to park it, I'd grab that up in a hurry.

Keep us posted. I wonder what the rear end is geared at? I've got 7.49 : 1. No speeding tickets in my future except on the slow slow slow roads.

Greg

The rears in my truck is 7.58,with a top end speed of 72.

No way in hell you can run 72 unless it is down hill in Neutral. I could be wrong though. with 5.60's on 24.5 rubber in top cog 60 flat out wind pushing doing the flintstone shuffle

Yes,it does have 24" rubber.About the top speed I got clocked many years ago coming down the PA Pike by the state police,they say I was doing 70 and the pedal was as far down as she would go.The trooper and myself had a long talk about the trucks and the state of affaires and such not,and he left me go.I think to this day he didn't believe that old girl would run like that.We also had a 1958 B873SX and there was no difference between the two trucks.Other than the 58 would take off alittle quicker off the line than the 64 would do.