This one had been a four speed,IIRC it was sent out by Greyhound for conversion before they retired them ( engine,trans. etc.) i wish i could remember,but i think it originally had 2 V-6 detroits in line? it was a very early production model,and i was told they were very problematic,next time i talk to my friend,i'll ask him more about it............................Mark

Hi there Mark,

PM me if you get more details about the 12V installation, never seen one but there is fokelore about one.... and one with a Mack engine quietly tested by GM in Germany of all places..!!!

I have two Scenicruisers, one is being restored to a level just like in the video... tough slog restoring buses, should have stuck to trucks..!! (ask Matt Pfahl)

the original design from 1954 was two 4-71's in parallel mated hydraulically to a single trans and two speed rear axle... an absolute pita for everyone, Greyhound sued GM... in 61ish all remaining coaches were converted to 8V71 and 4 speed spicer and regular diff... this was done by Marmon-Harrington.

to install a V12 in the engine bay would seriously cut into the bulkhead, a very weak feature on a good day and the cause of the many "boiler plate" additions to the sides of the coach in years to come.

from my memory, the only highway coach that had a 12V71 from the factory was the MCI MC6...

BC Mack

post-10384-0-98235900-1357524938_thumb.j

post-10384-0-46154600-1357524980_thumb.j

I enjoyed farmer52's post about old gas stations,so i did a little looking on the interweb,to see if i could find some similar old pictures with trucks........here are a few of the ones i've found so far.........................Mark

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/uploads/monthly_01_2013/post-5836-0-19467000-1357359866_thumb.jpg

That is about the best old truck picture I have seen.

• Like 1

Hi there Mark,

PM me if you get more details about the 12V installation, never seen one but there is fokelore about one.... and one with a Mack engine quietly tested by GM in Germany of all places..!!!

I have two Scenicruisers, one is being restored to a level just like in the video... tough slog restoring buses, should have stuck to trucks..!! (ask Matt Pfahl)

the original design from 1954 was two 4-71's in parallel mated hydraulically to a single trans and two speed rear axle... an absolute pita for everyone, Greyhound sued GM... in 61ish all remaining coaches were converted to 8V71 and 4 speed spicer and regular diff... this was done by Marmon-Harrington.

to install a V12 in the engine bay would seriously cut into the bulkhead, a very weak feature on a good day and the cause of the many "boiler plate" additions to the sides of the coach in years to come.

from my memory, the only highway coach that had a 12V71 from the factory was the MCI MC6...

BC Mack

BC

Post some pics of your restoration. I also think a bus would be a MAJOR project. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the finished bus!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"