Chicago R models

O K folks,I'm back.Had to take an excursion to the Hawkeye State(or the old MACK state,once you get down by Hwys 61 & 78!)).I'll have to give you 2 Chicago R models of the day,if thats alright?..........Earth Systemspost-510-0-54836700-1358001572_thumb.jpg & a '65 R-Model belonging to Norm Schuldt & Son Excavating, right after it recieved its 3rd cab in the late '90's!post-510-0-03601800-1358002373_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Its a good runner too,Mark.It started out as Dean's Foods truck in '65 as an R607ST (-1036 to be exact!)Bill Schuldt and his late father Norm,rescued it from being a severely neglected yard horse in 1980.It had been parked next to a building that burnt and collapsed on it! Bill & his dad replaced the junk cab & hood and were soon using the truck daily in their operation.The END673P (187hp)/Duplex combo seemed to be lacking in the power department ,so they bought a 237 and mated it to a Quadbox (truck had 5.73's in it) and ran it that way for years! Its been replaced withn a set forward CH,but it is currently in the shed awaiting its next life!

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

just picked up a trashed ch i chicago and the man asked if id be interested in hauling 17 r models and about 5 r dump trucks to the port, he wanted it done for next to nothing, i said no thanks, so you guys are going to lose a few more r's out of chicago, sorry
Oh man! Well,truthfully ,unless you've got the money,place to store 'em,and more money to get them in the shape you like to run them in,we're going to have to face the ugly truth,mhe9,you know? Sad but true...sniff....sniff!

That R model is hot!! Look at them chrome hub cabs on the rears!!!
Bruce's trucks were always shiny,drivers always wore uniforms-a class operation!

It must have been quite a sight years ago with so many R models pulling similar size/style trailers. When I was a kid it seemed that half of the heavy trucks on the Long Island Expressway were R models or Brockways hauling sand and gravel. The market there also seems to have shifted towards Paccar. There are quite a few beautifully maintained trucks in "large car" dress running the LIE these days, so at least the industry and the pride in equipment are both alive and well.

Jim

Oh man! Well,truthfully ,unless you've got the money,place to store 'em,and more money to get them in the shape you like to run them in,we're going to have to face the ugly truth,mhe9,you know? Sad but true...sniff....sniff!

I did my part and saved the "Salmer" truck. Al, do you pictures of it when it was in it's prime? I don't care to much when the crappy ones go for a boat ride, but when it's a clean, nice spec'd truck, it's hard to see them go. -Brad

• Like 1

I did my part and saved the "Salmer" truck. Al, do you pictures of it when it was in it's prime? I don't care to much when the crappy ones go for a boat ride, but when it's a clean, nice spec'd truck, it's hard to see them go. -Brad
I heard about that Brad,good for you! I don't have any,but John Fisher might! After all he bought it new(I know you know that already)...Just sayin'! LOL!!! No really,good save!

I heard about that Brad,good for you! I don't have any,but John Fisher might! After all he bought it new(I know you know that already)...Just sayin'! LOL!!! No really,good save!

Hopefully John will make it out next Saturday. I haven't done to much too it as of right now. Switched out the hubs to Uni-mounts all the way around. Cleaned a lot of stuff off the frame and moved the air dyer. Time and money are hindering me right now. -Brad

Hopefully John will make it out next Saturday. I haven't done to much too it as of right now. Switched out the hubs to Uni-mounts all the way around. Cleaned a lot of stuff off the frame and moved the air dyer. Time and money are hindering me right now. -Brad
Oh,I'm sure he'll make it! Hell,I can't wait to see it!

Yeah, the white one with the blue stripes. You were checking it out when you picked up the seat. Married life must wearing you down already. - Brad
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!