Engine choices

I say go for the gold bulldog and get all mack, the Cummins ntc and Cat 3406 B models are good engines, I would just rather have the Mack engines just as above personal preference.

p.s.- no 3408's in Mack trucks from the factory, sorry farmer.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Hey i like them all, but the old big cams are my pick of the litter!! You can do a inframe on one for el cheapo, and love the power of the 400 bigcam 3, and they have a good jake. The 3406 will usally run by a cummins if they are set right and are a blast to drive, but when something goes wrong they can get coastly. any one of them i would recomend if they are taken care of they will give you alot of service, never been around the e9 but they say they are a beast. The ones i drove the cummins got a little better fuel mileage than the cats. I can't help myself the old big cam is my pick, If you want to hit the freeway loaded the big enige is the way to go but if you find one with a e6 350, i wouldn't rule it out, the little mack engine pull dang good when they are geared right, may not pass a kw with a cat in it on the interstate but you will get there!!

I say go for the gold bulldog and get all mack, the Cummins ntc and Cat 3406 B models are good engines, I would just rather have the Mack engines just as above personal preference.

p.s.- no 3408's in Mack trucks from the factory, sorry farmer.

I agree...gold dog with E9. Bummer that a 3408 was never offered. Then my vote (for non-Mack) would be CAT 3406. Spent many hours running tests on the 3406 at the cathouse.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

wont a good running 350 mack e6 have as much or more power than a 400 cummins ntc ? i remember as a kid my dad wouls pass 400 cummins with a e6 350 4 valve and would smoke a 350 cummins . im just wondering if anyone else has for experience with mack v cummins ? also we had a 87 superline with a 350 that was turned up and with 442 gears ratio and it would smoke a 425 cat gmc general . but our 350 with 464 gears wouldnt keep up

I have to agree with the general consensus,Mack truck,Mack engine,BUT if i were to come across something of interest (truckwise) with other than a Mack engine my personal vote would be a CAT,my dad ran several over the years 1693,1693-TA,3406 A,B that were damn good engines all around. I once drove a W-900 KW with a 3408 V-8 putting out in the neighborhood of 750 horse,prolly the fastest,most powerful truck i ever drove! But,on the flip-side,i've never heard many good things about Cat powered Macks,just never seemed to get the "bugs" worked out of them. And if you go back a few years (50's 60's) a Cummins in a Mack was a damn good combination,so i guess its just a matter of personal preference......................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

It all depends on what your doing with the truck. My 285 in the dirt loaded I can drop the clutch and it will walk away easy my 550 cat will stall out unless I give it some throttle. Put both trucks on the Hi way and that cat runs down just about anything.

As far as super liners. E9 for obvious power reasons but expensive to repair. for simple power and cheap a big cam cummins is a

A lot of motor with good value. Cat 3406 make a lot oh high rpm power but also pricy to maintain. If you want big hp and not brake the bank it's cummins. If power and cool factor e9 or cat...