Gauge Covers

Pm me your email and I can hopefully sed it that way. This stupid I pad won't save the PDF and my phone won't upload the file. I was able to email it to myself and hopefully I can just forward you the file from my email,via my phone...if that don't work I may have to draw it put a stamp on it and mail it to you lol!,,,

• 4 weeks later...

Ha, that sounds like a good idea ! But I'd have no idea where to get one or how to hook it up. I've only had my first Mack for only a month now am just getting to figure everything out !

Look in the operator's manual. It will likely list the optional gauges. My MH manual shows the optional gauges. Once you decide what to add, take the VIN to your Mack dealer and see if the gauge and related parts are still available. If not, "salvage yard time"! Might find the gauge hole "plugs" in a yard also.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I got mine from autometer. Its a z series 0 to 35psi gauge and compliments the other gauges perfectly. Just wire it up and run the vacuum line and drill and tap into the pipe next to the turbo only. Any other spot will cause a fluttery innacurate reading

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

I got mine from autometer. Its a z series 0 to 35psi gauge and compliments the other gauges perfectly. Just wire it up and run the vacuum line and drill and tap into the pipe next to the turbo only. Any other spot will cause a fluttery innacurate reading

I got a Mack boost guage from GLobal for$25 bucks, im just too lazy to drill the hole to put it in. I concur with all of the above on guage rings Pete fits , you gotta grind some witha dremel to make em fit next to each other the pete speedo and tach are the same, almost any switch extension fits, I have chromed out the dash in 5 R's now(working on #5 anyway) it makes it a lot nicer to stare at all day for sure. the old pete dash switch label trims fit the small rectangle switch labels and the freightliner ones will fit the wide labels with a little trim on the back. I got a pic of the 84 but its pretty crappy, ill look for better ones from other trucks.

post-5240-0-99403900-1356061499_thumb.jp

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I got a Mack boost guage from GLobal for$25 bucks, im just too lazy to drill the hole to put it in. I concur with all of the above on guage rings Pete fits , you gotta grind some witha dremel to make em fit next to each other the pete speedo and tach are the same, almost any switch extension fits, I have chromed out the dash in 5 R's now(working on #5 anyway) it makes it a lot nicer to stare at all day for sure. the old pete dash switch label trims fit the small rectangle switch labels and the freightliner ones will fit the wide labels with a little trim on the back. I got a pic of the 84 but its pretty crappy, ill look for better ones from other trucks.
Your interior is awesome looking!

Speaking of boost gauges...I thought mine was broken...till I went up a steep hill and had the pedal to the metal! As that sweet turbo sound got louder, the gauge swung up in the twenties! I guess bobtailing and driving easy doesn't generate much boost...

If I remember correctly, the most I saw on my MH was 15psi (on a long PA turnpike grade).

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

On my 84 E9 I made 18-20 pulling a load about 5-10 Max empty, after we turned up the pump and I put a 525 Turbo on it it made 10-15 bobtail and 20-28 loaded, e9's don't make a lot of boost unless you go to an aftermarket Turbo, actually they don't need much boost there's enough cubes there to do most of the work.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 1 month later...

Okay, so i was thinking today is the day! i wanted to order my gauge covers. I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me, however i'm still confused lol. Trent showed me exactly what gauges and part number to order from united pacific which is helpful. Others have said go to iowa 80 .com and look for the old peterbilt gauges and order those. There are 32 options on there though. Im not sure to order them piece by piece and what year model. 379? What size should i get for the tach and speedo? Also has anyone done the normal guage covers and then the guages that are top most get the covers with visors over them? I haul gravel and i hate dust all over the place lol. But, im ready to order these and i need some advice / counsel once again before making a purchase.

Thanks again :)

So i just went into the garage where my dads 96 379 pete is and my R is sitting. I sat in both interiors and took measurements, it appears that the tach and speedo are exact at about 3.75 inches and the regular gauges are 2.6 inches. So i guess i could basically just order any covers fitted for a 379 too than huh? Oh and Trent, this is before i just read your post. OH and one a side note, i liked my interior better than my dads, The R just fits like a glove you know :)

I agree with you entirely on that one. I have never seen a mack R with the speedo and tach covers with visors so i was just wondering. All the pics i see don't have visors so that must be the best non cheesiest way to do it, but i was thinking of trying it though until now. Nor have i seen a mixture of regular covers except for where the pyro and fuel are on the top, thought it might look neat to offset it though. what do you think?