1974 RD685 Dump. Please help with frame and jake issues

nedly05

Hello BMT,

I've been lurking here for a while without posting, but I feel the need to benefit from the wealth of knowledge on this board. I'm a 3rd generation "dirt worker" in the Adirondack Mountains of NY. We aren't a big outfit by any means, with 3-6 employees depending on work load. We have an '05 CV713 granite and I just picked up a '74 RD685 (I'm a big fan of mechanical things!) from Mass for a second truck. I didn't have time to go look at it, so I settled for a bunch of pictures. It is a solid older truck, but I must admit I have a little buyers remorse.

* The double frame behind the cab is separated and has split in a couple spots. One has been repaired, one has not. I know its just a matter of time before it splits again. So how big of a deal is it to replace the rails from the cab back? In theory it should be like a stretch job, just replacing the rails to the same length they were. I have a local guy that will do it this winter, he gets the rails from PG Adams. WHat can i expect to pay, are there any hidden challenges or secrets that go along with this job?

*Secondly, it was supposed to have a Jake but it does not. I'm way too used to having a jake on a tandem to not have it, especially with just having a 6 speed. (2 sticks is interesting lol) It is a 300 HP engine i believe a 676. Is it a big expensive job to add a jake? Would it be more cost effective to add an exhaust brake? I know the kit is a lot cheaper, but from the reading I've done, the max exhaust psi on the 676 is around 35psi and the exhaust brake creates around 50psi, and works better with higher RPM motors, not so well with low RPM macks.So I'm looking for a cost effective solution to this problem. I've already invested too much in this truck which makes it worse to need to spend more on it. Obviously I have to fix the frame, so the jake will be back burner and I'll just have to deal with it for a while. It's not going to be run every day, more of a reserve truck that stays in town. I need it to make me money, but most importantly I need and want it to be safe. I went against my rule of always going to look at something before you buy it, and it bit me in the butt, so all I can do now is make the best of it.

Thanks for any and all input!

Hey Nedly, welcome. I've seen and followed you posts over on HEF, I'm masterwelder over there. Anyway I've streched a few trucks over the years but usually have seen fatigued frames completly replaced.

There was a medium sized milk hauler and garage here (still here but have changed hands and haul fuel now) and I can remember them replacing the entire rails. Once fatigued your just hooking good to bad and chance the same thing hapening.

I'm now expert on the jake or engine brake but I'm sure there must be lots of used out there reasonbly priced once you get to it.

Always good to look first, but I also have bought sight on seen. The conforting thing is you got good stock to work with.

I know you like to take pics, got any of the old girl to share??

I found an E6 300 with a jake for 4 grand. The tec brake kit is almost half of that. Would it bolt right in or need modification? Maybe they would take my motor in trade or something?

The trouble with that would be fitting the ATTAC in front of your radiator.I don't know how that would work on a steel front end like yours.

The trouble with that would be fitting the ATTAC in front of your radiator.I don't know how that would work on a steel front end like yours.

If it aint broke don't fix it right? Just need to get a jake on it! More importantly get the frame fixed right and make some money!

It's been done, but it would be expensive. You may also need to change the front motor mount. That could also mean changing the crossmember and spring hangers.