E9 Engine Brake

ThaddeusW

releases some oil from the rocker gear and limits the stroke of the valve timing, a block of wood on a chain dragging on the road is about as efficent sometimes. nigel :chili:

:D back in mid 80's I drove a superliner while my truck was in the shop, it had a "dynatard" I was used to the jakes on my big cummins motor and the first time I hit the switch on the dynatard I thought I might as well turn around and point my ass out the window and fart against the wind, thats about how good they worked! :lol: Doug

The jake brake works alot better than the dynatard, the only thing the dynatard is good for is making noise, the jake brake on the 673s dont work as good as the cummins, cat, like trent said i think they work better on bigger engines. Ron

the dynotard didn't work as good as a jake in my old 350/12 speed but if you used your head and all the gears you could, i never had any complaints. when i started driving engine brakes were unheard of in the northeast so anything was a big help. today some guys won't get in a truck unless it has the "famed" jake brake. j.j.

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

The jake brake works alot better than the dynatard, the only thing the dynatard is good for is making noise, the jake brake on the 673s dont work as good as the cummins, cat, like trent said i think they work better on bigger engines.            Ron

This thread interests me as I've been told the E-6 350 that we have has some kind of engine brake on it. How do you tell the difference between a "Jake Brake" and a "Dynatard" engine brake? This engine has a micro switch mounted in the throttle linkage travel path, and has a single wire running to the center of each rocker cover. I've never taken the covers off so I don't know what's under there.

I've never owned anything with an engine brake before (or pulled a load with one), so this is new to me.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have a 1990 E9500 with a Dynatard and I think it does an excellent job of braking. If you forget to turn the engine brake switch off when you get out of the truck it will choke it down. It does better than my 1989 E7400 with a Jake Brake. But the power of an engine brake is relevant to the size of the pistons. The bigger they are and the more you got, the better the braking power!

Rob: You have just discribed a Jake setup, thats the way they are hooked up.

Let me toss my two cents in! Cummins engines have three rockers per piston. Mack have only two. I think that because of the 'piston - on - compression timing' to the rest of the pistons has 50% more rockers to get things just right, the Jake works better on a Cummins.

Anything is better than dragging your feet going down hill!!!

By-the by, any one have a Jake Brake they might part with for a 673? I'm in the market for one!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Rob: You have just discribed a Jake setup, thats the way they are hooked up.

Let me toss my two cents in! Cummins engines have three rockers per piston. Mack have only two. I think that because of the 'piston - on - compression timing' to the rest of the pistons has 50% more rockers to get things just right, the Jake works better on a Cummins.

Anything is better than dragging your feet going down hill!!!

By-the by, any one have a Jake Brake they might part with for a 673? I'm in the market for one!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Rob do you have a spacer under the valve cover maybe about 2" ,the jake sets on top of the rocker shaft so they raised the cover up, the dynatard valve cover sets on the head with one wire in the middle of the cover,the wire for the jake is on the spacer. Ron

• 12 years later...

I've never seen anything other than a Dynatard  on a E9.  Mine works great but as stated I think a lot has to do with valve settings and how well the engine is running. A weak engine is not going to have good engine braking power. On 6 cylinders I've never had a good Dynatard but had some Jakes that worked great.

Edited by MACKTRUCKS4

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my Mack in and got it Timed and valve set by somebody that knows what they're doing with them the E9 500 Works beautifully now. Turns out the last person to set the valves set them on the wrong timing mark the engine brake works much much better now huge Improvement. I will say though it's still not as good as a jake brake on a cat or Cummins. I can live with what I have