New Guy sans CDL

SteveH

Hello -

Great place ya have here ! I found it looking for information on old Macks. A lot of my buddles have old hotrods, etc - but Im thinking I'd like something a little different :D

Which poses a question - I know for any vehicle over 26k GVWR I'd need a CDL B in my state (Del). I assume this applies to all vehicles regardless if they are 'antique' status or not. That being said, are all the B and C series single axles rated as such ?

Thanks !

Steve

I dont know about Delaware, but in the State of Pa, you do not need a CDL to operate an antique truck registered as such, and at no time may it be involved in commerce (hauling freight for revenue.) You do have to have the appropriate class non-CDL however. I would call the State of Delware and get the word from the horses mouth.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

The "C" in CDL stands for "Commercial". If you are not using the truck in commerce, you are not a commercial driver and therefore you do not need a commercial drivers license....

You MAY, however, need to upgrade your license to a class C or class B non-cdl...depending upon the weight of the truck....

Of course some states don't require the heavier license for RV's or antique vehicles....

Best bet would be to check with the department of motor vehicles in your state....easier & cheaper to make sure you're doing things right BEFORE you get caught doing them wrong.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Yep , you will get 100 answers. Ive seen the same Q in other forums, like they said just call the DMV , Highway patrol , etc, And get it in writing.

Also if your driving a big truck like a Mack of any year its smart to get a CDL , you learn alot that a regular driver just doesnt know. I advise anyone to get one , id hate to see anyone get behind the wheel of a 30-80k lb truck not knowing how air brakes work for example. And you will have more pride carrying that in your wallet. Oh and its not hard if you like trucks. My two cents - Jay

Thanks again guys. I already have an 'EDL' (emerg vehicle license), and have experience driving modern fire trucks/airbrakes/etc...But from all I've read this is only valid for fire equiptment. I'll get to the DMV on Monday and let ya know what they say.

I was wondering the same thing in NJ. I find all sorts of stuff I would love to pick up but didn't know if I needed a CDL for an antique registered truck.

I might just have to pick up a B and R model now.

Maybe an IH cabover too. . . Woops wrong forum for that

TN is no cdl for antique, farm or personal vehicle you only need a cdl for hire.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I was wondering the same thing in NJ. I find all sorts of stuff I would love to pick up but didn't know if I needed a CDL for an antique registered truck.

I might just have to pick up a B and R model now.

Maybe an IH cabover too. . . Woops wrong forum for that

Here is what New Jersey says about CDL:

Exemptions

The following do not need a CDL for their purpose:

• Taxi drivers (carrying less than eight passengers) and ride-sharing van drivers
  • Firefighters
  • Operators of rescue or first-aid squad vehicles
  • Farmers hauling their own products and equipment within 150 miles of their farms
  • Non-civilian operators of military equipment
  • Operators of construction equipment not designed for operation on public roads
  • Operators of recreational vehicles, provided the vehicle is being operated only for personal use

Now the question would be if you use your truck for personal use is it considered a recreational vehicle? Here is the link:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Commercial/Getting.htm

One other thing to consider, if you ONLY use the truck as a "hobby" truck, then you are more than likely not going to need a CDL......HOWEVER, if you plan on entering the truck in any truck shows, and there is money involved, then you might need a CDL because that could be considered "commerce".

Much like those big live-in horse trailers....if you only do recreational riding, then you can put RV tags on it....but if you are entering in a riding competition or showing the horse competitively, then you could actually get in trouble for having RV tags on the trailer because it isn't being used for "recreational" purposes. Of course the officer that stops you won't know where you're going....unless he spots the big trophy you just won at the show strapped into the jump seat for the trip home.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Thanks again gents. At least I have some hope from reading the DE Regs on Antique Vehicles:

"

• Certificate of Title must be presented upon application for Antique status to be issued
  • Vehicle must be 25 model years or older. There are no weight restrictions
  • Vehicle must pass DMV inspection within 90 days of the initial application for Antique status regardless of time remaining on current registration. The vehicle owner must notify the inspection lane technician that they wish to antique the vehicle.
  • Delaware titled vehicles with Antique status are exempt from further inspection
  • In the event the vehicle is transferred, the Antique Status expires and the new owner must reapply by paying the appropriate fees.
  • Applicant will pay $25 for Antique Status
  • Applicant will pay a $25 or $35 (with lien) title fee
  • No registration fee will be assessed.
  • A number license plate will be assigned to the vehicle in accordance with weight restrictions outline in Title 21 (RV, C, PC, CL, MC or Pleasure). This plate will be displayed on the rear of the vehicle
  • Trailers are not eligible for Antique status"

In DE, C-tags are for vehicles >10,000lbs.

I'll report back tomorrow, so those in the future can find the answer here.

Ok gents...from the horses mouth:

• CDL Class B required even if it has antique tags. Can do the medical waver, as this would not be for commercial use (exemption 2). Its purely based on weight.

So that said - what's the best way to go about finding someone with a truck and a CDL to take the roadtest with ? I'll have to hunt around to see what I can do about it so I don't have to have whatever truck I purchase shipped.

Call a truck driving school and use their truck for the road test. Thats what I did. And almost all schools do that , your local DMV office might have a list of people and schools who do that , Colorado does.

Advice for anyone that doesnt know trucks Very well(swallow your pride) and do the CDL even if you can skirt the law and get around it, it will really help you and other people out there and like I said you sure get the pride of having one. Thats not directed right at you Steve , but anyone in general. Jay

I recommend that you go to the Delaware internet web site and search for your answers. The person at the DMV may know less than you do about your requirements. Search for "CDL exempt" and see what you find.

This is the truth...don't count on the DMV to give you the correct advice with old trucks.. Im in IL and the guy at the DMV looked at me like I had 3 heads when I said I wanted historic tags for my 1977 Mack. I had to explain to him that IL state law does not specifically limit what kind of car,truck,motorcycle,bus, etc...can or cannot be tagged as a historic. It simply states in has to be older than 25 years,only used in shows or driven to shop for repairs...some states have slightly different laws so check what is required in your home state...for insurance I use gulf way in Florida. They insure racing,historics, and other odd ball stuff...welcome to the site..

Edit I see you already found the info....can you not just plate your truck first then apply for a class c license? I think it's just a written test for a class c?

When I called Pennsylvania to find out, the person I spoke with had no clue- they advised me yes I need a CDL. I said "even for an antique not in commerce? What about all these huge motor homes on bus chassis tagged as RV's? They dont need CDL's? I want to drive an antique firetruck one-third the weight and I need a CDL?? I cold hear person on the other end scratching their head. I finally called one of my elected officials, and a few weeks later I received a letter from PENNDOT's commissioner's office saying (in writing) that I do not need a CDL, only the proper class non-CDL. I keep that letter in my glove box "just in case."

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Thanks for the info and recomendations. As there's a bunch of shows around the area (not in the state) - I'm just going to go ahead and get my Class B CDL and be done with it. I'd rather have no worries or anything in the back of my mind...After all - this is all for fun and enjoyment :D