Damn jeep

mike69mackman

Ok I know this forum is for big trucks but I'm about to pull my hair out. I have a 95 jeep wrangler that needs door latches lock tumblers and the rod that goes from the back of the tumbler down to the latch assy. Latches are available however the rods and tumbler are not. Cannott get them from the jeep pros at 4wd or the dealer. I can't replace anything unless I replace everything otherwise the problem will not be fixed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike

I assume you have been to a locksmith to see if the tumblers can be loosened up. How about swapping the drivers side, which I assume is the one that is worn, with the passenger side? Junk yard?

Check the PN to see if Chrysler used the same parts on another vehicle.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Did the dealer thing. No luck. However the locksmith in town said he can rebuild them. So that is good news. But what I need to fix it right is the rod that goes from the back of the tumbler down to the latch assy. Neither Chrysler or the aftermarket place I deal with has them and Chrysler doesn't have a part number anymore. Bad part is both doors are in the same shape so I have repair both.

Found a guy up on long island called jeeps r us who says he can get me those rods at a cost of 45.00 each. Steep price for two 3 inch rods

There is a saying in the old car/truck world "If one human built it the first time, another can build it the second time."

In other words, try making a replacement yourself. If you are stuck on how to go post a picture of the part here and you will get some help.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Found a guy up on long island called jeeps r us who says he can get me those rods at a cost of 45.00 each. Steep price for two 3 inch rods.

I dealt with them for parts for my J-30...Bonnie and Clyde could learn a lot from them!

Post up a photo of the rods and the Model of the Jeep, I can stop at Medford Auto Wreckers I go near there a few times a week to the crusher. Lots of Jeeps here. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I went ahead and ordered the parts he thought that price for those rods were high since he had to order them so he cut me a good deal on the latches and lock tumblers. However if I need hard to find parts for that jeep I'll check with you first. Thank you for that info.

Any time! Glad to help. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Glad you got them! Can I ask if they did anything on the cost? Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

That is true rowdy lol. Yeah Paul tony knocked twenty bucks off each latch

He made it up on my J-30 grill LOL

P.T.CHESHIRE

Oh shit! Lol yeah I'm gonna try and get those latches and locks done next week.

I was thinking 4 bills was alot, but my wife reminded me that my J-30 is 32 years old... like she said "find another NOS one" Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Heres a quick phone photo with new grill

post-3242-0-40389500-1346436646_thumb.jp

P.T.CHESHIRE

I take better ones, that ones cel phone. I am pleased you can even tell it's a Jeep.

I used to get a lot of people in Grand Wagoneers asking why I cut the roof off it, I ran out of smart a$$ answers though. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE