Found another B42

I found another B42 for sale. This one in CT. This is what the owner said about it:

"The Mac is a 2 shifter, it has a dump hydrolic cylinder on back and is not a fifth wheel. It has a gas motor and nothing we know is wrong, drove it around the yard."

Obvious they are not quite sure what they have as Mac is missing the K. I assume its a duplex trans? I am thinking of pulling the ram for the dump and putting a 5th wheel on the back. Price seems reasonable but to be determined when I get the rest of the pictures. Here are the shots they sent already:

post-11944-0-43573900-1343949747_thumb.j

post-11944-0-14886900-1343949746_thumb.j

post-11944-0-82574500-1343949744_thumb.j

Looks like it will be a good start for a hobby truck and I am ahead of the game since it already runs. Tires are one thing it looks like it will need as well as a bumper and the before mentioned 5th wheel. Anyone have one? The other question I have is do you think my shops 2 car tag along trailer will handle this thing from the Hartford area back down to Lakewood NJ? I figured the truck to be around 8,000lbs as it sits. I think the trailer has a 15,000lb gvw. My other concern is if the front wheels will fit between the fenders on the trailer. Anyone know the width from the outside of the tire across to the other side? Here is a picture of the trailer so you can get an idea:

post-11944-0-85125300-1343950234_thumb.j

post-11944-0-49540600-1343950381_thumb.j

Thanks as always for the help and advice.

I recall the B front axle for my mixer is close to 90" flange to flange. PAUL

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks for the fast response. I'll measure between the wheel wells on the trailer tomorrow. Do you guys think I will have any issues with using that type of trailer?

Mackmixer - I will keep the rears behind the trailer axles so I should be good if the fronts fit.

Vinny - if I buy the truck I'll get in touch.

Who has a 5th wheel available?

pictures can be decieving and looks like someone gave it an amateur paint job to cover up some crime. the other issue is the underpowered boat anchor under the hood. about good for drivin around town and will probably have to change the rear hogs head as it probably is geared for 52 mph. just a few things to think about

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I am aware of the lack on top end speed but its a good entry level Mack for me since I am still wet behind the ears on these things. My experience with classic cars should help in checking the basics and cosmetics. My friend Russ will go with me to check out the mechanicals on it. He used to drive B dumps back in the day, then some how defected and went to L9000 Fords. I am waiting for new updated pictures showing more detail.

it does look like an amatuer paint job for sure. but if it is in fact solid sheet metal it's worth repowering. i'd rather put smoke in a gas job and replace the hogs head because i think it's much easier than trying to find decent sheetmetal someone is willing to part with for a fair price. just my 2 cents.

Brian

1959 B61T

looks like it was a plow truck originally, it has the drop down crossmember and horsecollar to miss the radiator and let the pto shaft thru to the front. could be another reason it doesnt have a bumper. or could have been a single axle mixer, they ran alot of B42 single axle mixers back in the day.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

It was a dump truck the seller said but the dump body was removed by the previous owner. That could also explain the possible plow evidence. I don't mind the cheap respray as long as it protected the metal and it isn't full of bondo. I have body guys I work with so it wouldnt be to bad to prep and have them shoot the cab paint. I can do the frame.

I am planning to go to CT in the next two weeks to check this thing out. I have determined I do not have access to the right equipment and I might need some help. Its not around the corner from me and if I halfass trying to bring this back i can see something going wrong. Anyone in the CT area or going to be in the CT area with the right trailer to haul this thing back to NJ if I make a deal?