Belly Dump Trailers:

Rob

This is a picture of my RL755LST when new on a publicity shot. What is the primary purpose for this type of trailer? It I see them with grain haulers a lot but they dump into a pit inside a building at the elevators.

Rob

post-78-0-86037500-1342997938.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

use to be used a lot here in upstate ny. mailnly for road jobs like everyone said. my grandfather worked on I890 in Schenectady when Gull contracting and Valentie worked on it. they all had belly dumps, some on B62's and B42's and R models and diamond Reos. he said you could move lots of material fast without stoppin. said they would go down the road 40mph and hit the button and watch the sand spread everywhere and the dust would fly. back when truckin was fun, no one got tickets on jobs like this and the state troopers had a nice little trailer set up by the big men with women on the side.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I agree with the others,i see a good many of these in the western states,mainly on road construction projects,but personally i don't know what the advantages are over a "traditional" dump trailer..........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I agree with the others,i see a good many of these in the western states,mainly on road construction projects,but personally i don't know what the advantages are over a "traditional" dump trailer..........................Mark

The advantage is that you don't need to worry about some dumb ass driver turning them over and usually a greater payload than a dump truck.

• Like 1

The advantage is that you don't need to worry about some dumb ass driver turning them over and usually a greater payload than a dump truck.

Makes sense to me! i drove an end-dumptrailer for a short while in my younger years,personally,i did'nt care for it,i was always afraid i was gonna turn the damn thing over! especially with some of the shitholes i was expected to dump into! my boss had a poster in his office with something like "The 10 Commandments of dump trucking" on it,i can only remember one..............."Thou shalt dumpest upon level ground" good advise! i think anyway!....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Makes sense to me! i drove an end-dumptrailer for a short while in my younger years,personally,i did'nt care for it,i was always afraid i was gonna turn the damn thing over! especially with some of the shitholes i was expected to dump into! my boss had a poster in his office with something like "The 10 Commandments of dump trucking" on it,i can only remember one..............."Thou shalt dumpest upon level ground" good advise! i think anyway!....................................Mark

I've seen that poster also or one like it. Never have operated one except in a level concrete batch plant.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I agree with David, best part is stability, worst part is taking so much room to dump. Dozer operators will cuss you on roadside stockpiles, but brag on you when spreading on a roadjob. I work too many tight spots to use one, I like em though. randyp