1963 Mack B-813SX [Procter ]

Ok am I the only one that has seen the National Geographic Channel promo for a new show that I think starts on Wed that shows a short shot of John's B-813SX [Procter Co / November Issue Double Clutch 2007 ] going down the road ? Come on John spill the beans !

Here is the link-it is something that I hope helps this hobby and brings the interest of lots of younger folks. The program has already started on July the 4th but it will air every Wednesday evening until sometime in August on the National Geographic TV channel. The program is called "Americas Lost Treasures" and our segment was filmed at the Winterthur Museum in Wilmington, DE and then a whole day at the Mack Museum. Right now, there is only a 3 minute promotional video available uploaded by National Geographic people. Don't look to closely at Curt, the actor, shifting the auxiliary while I shifted the main transmission for him.

http://www.allvintagetrucks.com/mack-daddy-of-trucks

You can also Google "Mack Daddy of Trucks" and that should take you right to their site. Enjoy!

John

It got worse for Matt. A tire on the trailer exploded at 70 mph scattering rubber chunks everywhere. Cars were swerving trying to avoid the fragmentation. Then he blew another tire and turns out he did have a spare but it was the wrong size. The tires on that trailer are an oddball size so it took him another day to get two tires. When the first tire exploded, it shredded the hydraulic line at the back of the trailer so he had a toxic spill to drive away from when he tried to put the tail board down. Fortunately no one was hurt and no major damage was done to man or machine.

John

I'm fairly sure I saw this truck at Hershey about three years ago in October. What a nice job. I have to blame this truck for turning me away from the other B models to the 81 series trucks. I've wanted one ever since. I'm hoping to be able to afford a couple of tires and some ods and end to make mine road worth. After that a little body work and paint and I'll be proud as can be to take my 815 to the shows and parades. Thanks for the inspiration and sharing that truck with the public. Awsome.

Greg

Yes, it was judged at Hershey a few times. I am glad that it has inspired others and I sincerely hope that this Natl Geo clip will do the same. We really need more young fellows like Vinny and his cousin Ben in this hobby.

Best regards,

John

• Like 1

Yes, it was judged at Hershey a few times. I am glad that it has inspired others and I sincerely hope that this Natl Geo clip will do the same. We really need more young fellows like Vinny and his cousin Ben in this hobby.

Best regards,

John

I love the hobby. There is another young one I talk to quite a bit. 72U685ST. Hes just like me kinda, but a little older.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Vinny:

How do we get more young people like you involved in this wonderful hobby? Any ideas?

John

Well, I just start talking about it to people. Like my friend Tanner said he had a Mack bulldog. When he came over to my house I was showing him all my Mack stuff, and I showed him my Bulldogs a said, is yours gold or silver? He said its silver, but it doesnt look like those. I said, hmmmm. Then I went to his house, and I asked him about it. He showed me it, and it was a half dog. I told him where it went, I talked about it for like 20 minutes to him. He was excited, then he said he wanted to start collecting Mack things.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Personally i am glad to see younger people interested in our hobby,and i think a more "pro-active" means is what works,"take a kid to a car show" comes to mind,and take the time to explain things,i believe there are young truck enthusiasts out there,that just don't know where to go with it. I do a "walkaround" my truck at my son's school every year,try to explain some of the safety of driving around trucks,blindspots,stopping distances etc. (mostly for mom and dad) the kids are always amazed at whats "in" the truck,that i actually sleep in there,have a fridge,microwave,TV etc. most have never been anywhere near a big truck,but i truly believe they come away with a better understanding of whats its like to drive a truck.I also stress the importance of education,and all the "school skills" it takes ,even to drive a truck,reading,math,geography,etc. it can be a bit of challenge when i open the floor to questions however!.............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

That is wonderful enthusiasm! Keep it going!

John

Watched the video,what a great B-model! just about perfect from what i can see,and indeed a" treasure" personally,i'd like to know a little more about its Jersey history.....................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Some of the history of the truck appeared in WOT and Double Clutch and I caught shit for that several times. Editors of these mags do not have a clear mandate to communicate with authors so it happens that sometimes, after hearing absolutely nothing from one magazine, that the story is submitted to a competing publication and then they both appear at the same time and without my knowledge. I think the audiences are a little different but editors strongly disagree. Anyway, see WOT May/June 2008 and that should get you started. I have enough material now for a book-just need to find the time to put pen to paper but I am close. I got sidetracked with the LJ.

John

I'm not sure I buy the 30 left statement. I thought those were all fairly rare trucks but they (80 series trucks) appear to be as or more common than the 61's at the shows. I think they were rugged enough that may still exist. I've got the 815 which had low production numbers and I've seen another one in person and know of several more. A friend of the guy who had mine had one in pieces for a rebuild. It was supposed to be a factory automatic. Anyway, I'm not sure I buy the numbers.