Runnin' warm...any suggestions?

Hey guys, gotta pick your brains on this one. A 2 valve 300 (air box tip turbine engine) pedigreed 1989, in an 89 DM600 Glider. Engine has new T-stat (155 degree), New MACK fan clutch, new belts and new antifreeze. Pulling any type of grade she starts to run hot. Radiator is in great shape (no rot) but is original and has never been cleaned out other than flushing it when doing antifreeze pm. Water pump does not leak but is prob original from 89 (truck and engine have 168000 on the clock. OK, here is my question...do I start with pulling the radiator to have it cleaned and serviced? Do I try the water pump first? Even though the T-stat is new could it be sticking? I dont mind spending the $$ I just dont want to waste time. Where should I start? BTW the truck is in Vegas, and its a wee bit warm here! Any help would be greatly appreciated! -Sean

Hey guys, gotta pick your brains on this one. A 2 valve 300 (air box tip turbine engine) pedigreed 1989, in an 89 DM600 Glider. Engine has new T-stat (155 degree), New MACK fan clutch, new belts and new antifreeze. Pulling any type of grade she starts to run hot. Radiator is in great shape (no rot) but is original and has never been cleaned out other than flushing it when doing antifreeze pm. Water pump does not leak but is prob original from 89 (truck and engine have 168000 on the clock. OK, here is my question...do I start with pulling the radiator to have it cleaned and serviced? Do I try the water pump first? Even though the T-stat is new could it be sticking? I dont mind spending the $$ I just dont want to waste time. Where should I start? BTW the truck is in Vegas, and its a wee bit warm here! Any help would be greatly appreciated! -Sean

Try blowing out the radiator, if it has AC it could be pluged behind the condenser.

But its a dry heat

Blow out radiator. pressure washer would be best. Just careful how close with the wand.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Ok...no A/C (in Vegas I know) LOL! No intercooler, no nothing...just the radiator. Outside is clean as can be, no leaves or dirt...squeaky clean. On a heavy grade, its pushing 200 or so the gauge says. It dont boil over or steam...but its running hot in my opinion (excess blow-by, lower oil pressure) The bottom tank on the radiator is HOT! The core seems alot cooler to the touch than the tank, I have not yet checked the top tank...but the bottom one gets pretty damn hot. I was thinking it could be a flow issue, maybe the radiator needs to be re-cored, or cleaned out good? I have a guy here in town that will pull the tanks, clean out the tubes, and reseal the whole thing for $500.00 including gaskets. Its a heavy machinery radiator shop, he thinks the core is plugged...I dunno............. :unsure:

Hay Sean,how ya doing,I was told a long time ago a diesel truck engine should run 100 degrees above the outside air temp,check the gasket on your air box.spray some starting fluid around it while it's idling,stay cool out there...

@00 degrees for a mack engine like yours is just perfect and 205 is ok. When you ran a mack many years you will find they will run better at 200.Dont get getb started checking temp of any thing with the tough of your hand. It all fells hot when you tough it.

glenn akers

200 sounds normal to me in hi heat weather. A few simple checks would be to check belts and listen to hear if the fan clutch is operating. If that checks out test the temp gauge with a new sensor or gauge. You can also remove the water pump to check the blades are in good shape.

I'm just so used to the "180" temp of New York...I get out here, and bamm the temp gauge is goin nutty on me! I just dont want to cook the engine. I think that for shits and giggles I may change the water pump. I'll deff keep everyone posted! Hey Gary! Things are going pretty good out here, keeping busy and making money thats all that counts! I'm coming home the end of the month for a few days, I'll deff try and stop by to say hello!