Couple of young "families"

Rob

In the abandoned air force station one of my radars is located in there is a new family of racoons, and red fox. I've only seen a pair of the racoon babies and the mother is close most times. I can get within about five feet or so before they get scared. The mother will yakk at me from a distance voicing displeasure. Yesterday afternoon I caught them in a tree:

post-78-0-67291500-1338297136_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-54908500-1338297138_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-83072000-1338297134_thumb.jpg

This morning I seen the fox family making it's trek around the grounds but by the time I got the camera out, was only able to get a shot of one pup before he headed off into a culvert. There is 39 acres to this compound so I never know where they will be. Unfortunately, one did not survive the night; he is chewed up pretty good and in the middle of the road. I see them running around nearly every day but they usually run off when I get within 20 feet or so.

Rob

post-78-0-75867600-1338297288_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-88415100-1338297290_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-82552300-1338297292_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-93690100-1338297294_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I think the fox in the photo sacrificed his brother for something to eat.

The body was gone less than an hour after I snapped the photo. There is nobody else that comes into the compound.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I think the fox in the photo sacrificed his brother for something to eat.

The body was gone less than an hour after I snapped the photo. There is nobody else that comes into the compound.

Rob

Sounds like Rob's Roadkill Cafe is back into operation again. That would be great with carrots, potatoes and 2 Vidalia Onions cooked in a Crock Pot all day. It would fall off the bones. Top it off with a dish of mustard greens and hot sauce.

mike

Drove into work just a bit ago and what I suspect seems to be true. The fox that was expired on the driveway is being consumed by his sibling. I viewed another of the offspring carrying the carcass across the yard. After seeing me getting out of my Jeep, he darted off into the bushes and looking at the body, it's clear it was the other young fox about half gone.

I've not seen the racoon babies again. They have departed their normal sleeping tree moving along.

Nature at work I suppose.

Rob

You all sure got a lot of "greenery" there! Its already turned all brown and dusty and dried up down here again. I think the drought has returned here again,,,,randyp

Hi Randyp! At least the randyp drought is over, we were getting seriously worried because we hadn't heard from you for so long. Wonder how rhasler is doing, New Mexico is on fire.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

We had a pet raccoon when I was jest a boy. My younger brother and myself found it in the woods by an oak tree that had fallen down. Apparently the mother had abandoned it, it was more dead than alive when we found it. It was so small we raised it on a baby bottle, and it was a great pet. We turned it loose after it was grown, and by then you could tell it's natural instincts had started to kick in, so I feel pretty sure it was OK.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Hi Randyp! At least the randyp drought is over, we were getting seriously worried because we hadn't heard from you for so long. Wonder how rhasler is doing, New Mexico is on fire.

Hi Tom, no, am still here, seems when Im not working something lately, then Im working on it. I dont know bout ole rhasly, would like to hear from him though. Its shaping up to be a murderous summer here, already getting really hot. I dread it, gonna start work early and quit early,,,,randyp

We had a pet raccoon when I was jest a boy. My younger brother and myself found it in the woods by an oak tree that had fallen down. Apparently the mother had abandoned it, it was more dead than alive when we found it. It was so small we raised it on a baby bottle, and it was a great pet. We turned it loose after it was grown, and by then you could tell it's natural instincts had started to kick in, so I feel pretty sure it was OK.

I'll have to show this to my mom the next time I want to keep one.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Saw this in today's paper. I don't know if i'm going with "Rob" or "Ottercar". Maybe i'll send both.

I like "Ottercar" myself.

Rob