Moving Your Mack

One of my more interesting Mack moves was the 1923 AC (with a P&H crane attached) from Denver to Riverside CA. I have a pretty low lowboy trailer (about 21" from the ground to the bed area), but the AC on the trailer was over 14 feet tall. Eisenhower tunnel just west of Denver is resticted to 13'6". Had to remove the rear tires on the AC to get it down to 13'6" (either that or take the bypass road that goes some 5000 feet higher elevation from the allready high road). On a normal vehicle removeing tires is not so big a deal. The AC has a single very wide hard rubber wheel and tire. Spell that very heavy. Eventually got it off and stowed. With hydraulic jacks and wood blocks lowered the AC and blocked the axles and chained her down. Alos lowered the boom to get it below the 13'6" threshold. Other that having the Arizona Highway Patrol chase me down (not much of a chase for them) not to many unusual events on the trip home. Pulled the load with my 1956 H62. This 62 had the gas engine removed (buy the local Mack dealer) and the H63 type ENDT 673 installed. The addition of the diesel was nice. Unfortunatly at some time the rear duall axles were replaced with a single Mack real axle. For this load the single axle would have propably been over the maximum of 20,000# so rented a joe dog to make it a 3 axle truck. A Joe dog is a trucker term for apparatus that hooks up to the truck 5th wheel, adds another axle and has a fifth wheel connector. The ENDT pulled the hills in Colorado, but did not set any speed records. The triplex earned is way on this trip.

:SMOKIE-LFT:

I towed my :mack1: about 30 miles to Dutch's place behind my '62 Chevy one ton (spooky trip-anything over about 30 mph the :mack1: would wag the '62 all over the road! :o ,then spent over a month there working it over. Serviced it (oil change,top off all the boxes,grease every fitting,etc., worked a little on the brakes,found 2 wheels that wouldn't adjust loose enough to make me happy,but ran it that way anyhow.adjusted the clutch and E-brake,installed a horn,re-wired the whole truck with Delco 22si alternator,a GMC fusebox,light switch,stoplight switch,dimmer switch,moved the starter button to the dash through a Ford solenoid,made all the lights work right,added Halogen headlights and wired a trailer plug in,fabricated a front bumper,rear frame plate with reciever hitch,an exhaust stack,and a combination boom/jib crane on the back (tested it out by picking up the back of Dutch's Ford pick up about 3 feet off the ground),fixed a door latch on the right door,created a door latch for the left door since it has a crimp in it that keeps the stock latch from working,added a second fuel tank,upholdered the seat cushions with mexican saddleblankets,and installed a new bulldog and a :mack1: shift knob. My :mack1: was now dressed for the road.

Finally I hooked the '62 Chevy one ton to the back and drove my :mack1: home,only 290 miles. The trip was relatively uneventful outside of the :mack1: overheating every time I pulled it into overdrive until darkness fell,then it ran cool enough to pull overdrive but I was starting up Emmigrant summit so I no longer had the power to use over. Checked my speedo against measured miles and when the speedo said I had 45 mph,I really had about 30-31 mph. Going down the summits Golconda and Emmigrant,I pegged the speedo,an indicated 75 mph,an actual 55-60 mph!

I think I should get an honorary CDL;if THIS trip didn't prove my abilities,nothing will! :P

Since getting home,I've installed air horns and a reserve tank (I'm looking for a used gear driven compressor that will fit the 3 bolt location on the back of my timing case.) I have a kit ordered for the master cylinder,should be here Monday or Tuesday. Once I have the air and brake issues resolved I'll do some bodywork and get some glasswork done,and look for some good tires.

For now it'll work fine for short trips and heavy work.

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

My trip home was very uneventful compared to these trips! I had it towed with a wrecker,i believe it cost either $150 or $175 to tow it about 50 miles.They pulled the axles and towed it from the front,threw the greasy axles up in the cab and I had to put them back in myself.I thought for that kind of money they would at least put the axles back in when they dropped it off,but everyone told me that was pretty much standard procedure and the price wasn't bad either. Turned out it was good they pulled it from the front too-it had them big tires,14.00/20 I think,on the steer axle,recaps in fact,but I wanted to drive it so I took it out on rt.460 and those old tires were so out of round I bent several wheel studs before I got turned around and brought it back to the shop. Had to get some new 10.00/20's and some new studs before I could road test it again.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

My trip home with Jess was uneventful other than the last 1.5 hours being done in the dark with one headlight shining up into the trees. Reached a mate's place to stay the night and was turning around on his paddock when she stalled. Started her up again, put her in gear but she wouldn't move. Shut her down for the night with thoughts of broken bits to look forward to in the morning. Discovered the next morning that she was just slipping on the wet grass! Got some great fog bound shots that morning too!

Cheers

Andy

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

I put my trust in the Ole Dodge. Towed my 18,340# "wonder truck" 262 miles home from southeast Indiana.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The picture on the Left is just before I moved "Aunt Bea" from her home for the last 8 years.

New plugs,wires,carb kit,oil, coolant, top and bottom hoses and batteries and I was on my way!

Took two or three week-ends then I cranked it up and drove it 43 miles home!!!!

Life is good!!!!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

The picture on the Left is just before I moved "Aunt Bea" from her home for the last 8 years.

New plugs,wires,carb kit,oil, coolant, top and bottom hoses and batteries and I was on my way!

Took two or three week-ends then I cranked it up and drove it 43 miles home!!!!

Life is good!!!!

Packer

:SMOKIE-LFT: Feels good to actually drive your "new" truck home;I've always seen it as sort of a good start for my trucks to arrive at their new home under their own power.

In the case of my :mack1: and most all of my other vehicles,"TOWING IS NOT AN OPTION" applied.

I thought about driving my '62 chevy one ton to Reno,getting my new '57 GMC 2 ton dump truck running,loading the '62 in the back,hooking the '60 GMC ten wheeler parts truck on the tow bar behind it and driving that convoy home,but I only have about 3 decent tires out of the 16 tires on the 2 GMC's,so that obviously won't be an option. (Unless one of you would donate a set of six 10.00-20's and a set of six 11.00-22.5's for this trip.) Instead,I've been working for a guy,helping him move all his cars,trucks,trailers,wood,steel,engines,transmissions,various parts,boxes,bags,furniture etc. from the house he's vacating about 5 miles to his storage yard for the last couple of weeks in trade for his stopping when he goes through Reno after his next delivery to northern Ca.,loading my trucks and bringing 'em home. I still have to drive to Reno a day or two before,to bring down some loading ramps,swap wheels around to get 4 inflated ones on each truck,replace a valve spring,rebuild a master cylinder and bleed some brakes,probably replace some hoses and belts and install a battery so as to be able to drive the dump truck onto the trailer and pull the parts truck on behind it,then drive back home in the '62. I guess this'd be "choosing my battles"?? :D I'm not backing away from an adventure;if this was the Mack recovery,I'd do it again in a heartbeat,but driving these beasties home would require money I don't have right now.

Speed

:mack1:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Hi Rob,

Thats a nice looking trailer Rob, I been told Its hauled trucks all over the country!

Fred

I agree Fred, it is a damn nice trailer. In fact, since I'm such a nice guy; I'm gonna let you use it a bit longer!!

Tell John that after seeing the IH, I'm gonna start pressing him to get her going!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.