Looking for advice

I am going to look at a 95 rd688 with e7 350 mechanical engine. 13 speed trans. Truck is used in logging industry so probably a hard life. Mileage is 380000 and hour meter reads little over 30000 hours.. Owner doesn't seem to know much history of truck. vin 1m2p267c8smo22752 Would these engine hours scare you? Thanks in advance for advice. Justin

So former owner does not know of any work done to the engine and driveline in the last 30,000 hours? If you have no information on what has been done, then those start seeming like an awful lot of time on the truck.

Just-in-case it has been used for this before, I would ask if it has been used to pick up a dead moose or not? I hear tell that is hard on them sometimes..............

I think he is second or third owner so history is vague. I will try to find out more. By the way the dead moose are easy on the truck, it's the ones live and kickin ones that are hard on it.

I would think converting live moose into dead moose by rolling impact would be hard on a truck?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yeah Live moose here are a real issue. I know an owner operator that has been in at least 10 moose collisions with a ch. Twice were very serious collisions. One moose came over hood and wiped out whole cab and sleeper and another drove up on animal lost steering and rolled over in ditch. Now hew has a moose bumper and they bounce off. never mind the moose how bout that 95 RD with 30000 hours. Leaving at 4 am to look at it 5 hours away

Yeah Live moose here are a real issue. I know an owner operator that has been in at least 10 moose collisions with a ch. Twice were very serious collisions. One moose came over hood and wiped out whole cab and sleeper and another drove up on animal lost steering and rolled over in ditch. Now hew has a moose bumper and they bounce off. never mind the moose how bout that 95 RD with 30000 hours. Leaving at 4 am to look at it 5 hours away

That is a lot of hours no matter how it's looked at. Don't be surprised in any fashion as to what you discover. Some folks have a different interpretation of a vehicle when it is being sold as opposed to purchase.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

mack e7 engines last forever with even mimimal maintenance lol.. we had a 93 superliner log truck with a e7 400 vmac1 that had 35000 engines hrs and didnt use oil. and we have a 97 cl700 with e7 454 that lasted 29000 hrs . my dad had it rebuilt just to be safe. when they twore it down it was like new inside

That is a lot of hours no matter how it's looked at. Don't be surprised in any fashion as to what you discover. Some folks have a different interpretation of a vehicle when it is being sold as opposed to purchase.

Rob

Get an engine oil analysis done before you buy the truck.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Thanks for the advice. Let you know how I make out tomorrow. Sold my RB today and already miss it so see what happens. Logtruckman this rd is set up just like your cl Same style log body with serco on the rear. It is red so most people wouldn't even know i changed trucks.

Thanks for the advice. Let you know how I make out tomorrow. Sold my RB today and already miss it so see what happens. Logtruckman this rd is set up just like your cl Same style log body with serco on the rear. It is red so most people wouldn't even know i changed trucks.

What model boom is it? A friend of mine bought a 7500 Serco and loves it.

Comes out to about 12 mph. avg.

Prolly some serious work it was doing.

Check with a local Mack dealer.Service desk

Give vin# and see what may have been done

Serco-meh

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

When I was looking for this type unit, several people told me-Rotobec or Prentice, then serco, hood was not on the list.

truck was already set up when I bought. Options available were-trailer hitch,pintle, add'l lites, chrome bumper

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Thats is a sweet mackabuslogtruck but if i got up this early to go look at something that looks like that it will be along ride home for my father who will be my passenger. Sad thing is this website is addictive enough that I got up even earlier then i needed to just see what Hatcity had to say. Have a good day see you tonight!

Well I am officially MACKLESS :thumbsdown: My RB is sold and The rd I looked at had too many issues. It was a bad sign when I pulled in and saw that it had an air ride cab sagging low in the back. I said "nice it has an air ride cab" and he said "no it doesn't it has been that way since I bought it 2 years ago". I said "see that little deflated airbag that means it is an air ride cab that hasn't worked for years" and so I proceded to find air leaks, compressor would build to at least 150 psi, frame rust spreading rails almost 1 inch but I asked before I drove 5 hours south and he said "oh the frame is nice and tight" and "the truck is mint". I really don't think he knew it was a double frame or much else. No coolant in resevoir and engine didn't look factory to me. I would say engine was replaced or done at some point but no one knows for sure. I wish i had researched difference between e6 and e7 because it had some different features than my rb with an e7 oh well. He said he would drop 1000 dollars so i didn't even risk offering him anything and insulting his immense knowledge of trucks. On the plus side i did like the serco loader and ran that and would be happy with one. It was also a nice day with my father along for the ride. OH btw I saw lucerne tractor headed southbound Good Looking Rig!

Olivetroad The trip was ok being with my dad and it was comfy in my wifes new grand cherokee. Glad it has cruise control because speed is very difficult to sense. All of sudden look down and speedo says 90 not good. Logtruckman that CL is right up my alley. Not sure I can afford it but I will try. Is it advertised online somewhere with pics or email me at lorainelmt@yahoo.com. Pics and specs would be great. I got an idea you are more than 5 hours from maine. Thanks Justin

Did you hook him up with BMT? We need more immense knowledge

Sorry about your wasted trip, those are not as much fun with the price of fuel are they?.

I drove 1132 miles one way to pickup an RS797LST with a transplanted E9-500 and 12 speed once with no visible rust, (by photos). The engine was "tired" but ran well. When I got there the double frame was broken along the top rail from the trunion back and the rust spread was near 1" between the rails. The engine had dropped a valve and was running accordingly with a hole knocked through a piston. I couldn't find a tag and the oil smelled of raw diesel fuel. The cab really didn't need too much work but was far from pristine.

I drove back empty and learned a lesson there. Glad I didn't pay in advance or even give a deposit as the seller really turned out to be a jerk. He didn't own the truck of which he stated prior. The photos I had were probably of a different, but similar truck, or very old.

Rob