cold starting my B61

Well, I've done it! I found a 1964 B-Model Mack. Bought it....had it towed home because I didn't trust it for the 50 mile trip...flushed the fuel system....got it cranked without a lot of trouble. Now I've tagged it and driven it about a hundred miles.....tickled to death!! Now I need some advise, I can't get it to cold start without about a teaspoon of starter fluid. I've tried the primer...it doesn't help. It runs great after its' started, it just won't crank when cold. The engine spins as if there is no fuel to light the wick......do I need to rebuild the primer pump? If so, a recommemdation of where I can find a rebuild kit, or a remanufactured primer pump, would be much appreciated. JDB

Do you hold the throttle down when cranking? It won't start at idle until it's warmed up. Depending on how cold, I hold mine maybe 1/4-1/2 throttle to get it cough and start. Don't let it wind up hard, as I think that's bad especially if you don't have oil pressure yet. After it starts, I hold it high enough to get it warm up all cylinders and then let it idle. Usually about 5 seconds or so.

The primer is only to get fuel up to pump, like if you run it dry(umm, well, ya, I know ths from experience). Only once though. Rob is far more experienced at running trucks out of fuel on a more regular basis LOL!!! He is getting A LOT better now at keeping tanks filled up.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Old mack engines need either to get started in the cold. Either isn't going to harm the insides. Even on oil bath style air cleaners there was a bung on the top of the cleaner for an "ether kit" a couple shots of either will get it running. just not to much to "either lock" it.

I must have the one and only 673 that will start on it's OWN with no help even at 18* outside. Ya, it's not instantaneous, but with a few attempts on the starter, it will cough and start on it's own. Guess I'm lucky. I've heard people that have diesel pickups that won't do that??

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I appreciate the input from you fellows, The silicone starter fluid seems like a good idea...I'll get some right away. I have tried the 1/4 to 1/2 throttle start...it doesn't help. I work for a major trucking company, when I first started years ago, we had air starters...mechanics used ether all the time to crank units that had been sitting for a while. I can start my Mack and drive it 20 miles or so...let it park for a couple of hours, and it will need a squirt to crank. All it takes is about a teaspoon...2 or 3 turns of the engine and she fires right up...I don't think there could be too much wrong....I just can't accept that I would have to ether a motor after sitting a couple of hours. Thanks for your help....when I figure it out I'll let ya'll know.....JDB

You might try a shot of oil based WD-40 in place of the ether to see if it helps. If it starts with a shot of oil my bet is something is allowing the fuel to drain back out of the filters or the fuel pump.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Yes you shouldn't need either for starting and stopping after it sits for a couple hours. The fuel should be warmed up enough by then to not hesitate. I could be the pump or injector(s). How does your throttle stop cable look? Any Kinks? Is it in the run position and work properly?

I agree with the possible leak in the fuel line somewere. My B can sit all winter and start with no problems. I've used a shop rag and a blow gun and put a few pounds of air in the fuel tanks to force fuel out the lines to find leaks before. Just don't put over 5 pounds in the. Tank or it could rupture.

Tom

Take the primer pump out and right under it is a plastic seat could be wooden . When you get primer out see if it is in pieces if not take it out and inspect it !! There is one in both holes one under primer pump and one under nut beside primer pump check both of them ! Let me know what you find bet that is your problem!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, thank goodness, I've found the problem. First of all, I have rebuilt the supply pump. Every time I used the primer, it would leak fuel. I figured that it had to be taking in air at the same time. But that did not cure the starting problem.

After that, I took into consideraion that the fuel tanks were not of Mack origin...(they are freightliner tanks)...with the help of a couple of good mechanics at my place of work we came to the conclusion that my Mack needed a check ball installed between the tank and the primary filter to assist in holding pressure. So far, I've let it sit for 48 hours and she started after a few revolutions!! Thanks for everybodys' input...I'll post a pic as soon as I figure put how...I'm not much of a computer guru....

Well, thank goodness, I've found the problem. First of all, I have rebuilt the supply pump. Every time I used the primer, it would leak fuel. I figured that it had to be taking in air at the same time. But that did not cure the starting problem.

After that, I took into consideraion that the fuel tanks were not of Mack origin...(they are freightliner tanks)...with the help of a couple of good mechanics at my place of work we came to the conclusion that my Mack needed a check ball installed between the tank and the primary filter to assist in holding pressure. So far, I've let it sit for 48 hours and she started after a few revolutions!! Thanks for everybodys' input...I'll post a pic as soon as I figure put how...I'm not much of a computer guru....

The line check in your transfer pump is not working.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.