B model front brake drum size?

Dennis

Need to replace the front drums on my B753. I called the part store and they asked for a number. I told them there is "no" number on these 53 year old drums. Does anyone know the current drum size number that it would take on this 1959 B model?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I should have the brake drum size written down for my truck(same specs as yours). Beside, I'll be pulling mine here very shortly as I think it needs pads. It started a little squeal yesterday when I stop. Not good. Only been 11 yrs? Didn't think I wore them that bad??? We'll see.

Let me look tonight at my paperwork, I forgot to get it out this morning before I left for work.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Yup, Budd and Dayton don't mix.

Mine was 16 1/2 by 4 3/4.

Hopefully, you can find a parts man that can look up parts in a book and not rely on a computer.

Jim

I believe in the B series trucks, the front brake drums were the same. The hub, or spider bolted to the drum using the same mounting pattern.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I believe in the B series trucks, the front brake drums were the same. The hub, or spider bolted to the drum using the same mounting pattern.

Rob

Could be the same Rob. I never looked into it for sure because all I have are spokes. I was just "ass"uming that Dayton and Budd probably wouldn't interchange.

Still can't find the paperwork for the one I bought but the casting has WF1 1168 WEBB 68897 REV. cast into it.

Also, thinking about it again. This drum was too wide for my setup but all other specs were good so it was put into a lathe to make it match what was taken off in depth and profile for the backing plate.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Are front brakes a shelf item or will they take some searching?

I've had to have two sets relined due to no core availability.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Great!! My racing season starts this weekend. I don't have much time to screw around waiting for relines. I do have a local place that does that kind of work, I guess I need to contact them and see if I can get a quick turn around. I have a two week window after Sunday to get it back together. I think I'm going to pull it down Thursday night to inspect. Don't think I'm in serious trouble, but I don't want to tear it up any worse then needed.

I found my information sheet from 11 yrs ago when I was looking for BUDD hubs

FA517 axle

16 1/2" x 4" brakes

Brake drum number 17QJ3162B

G630-2

B206

Larry

OK, let me take a look Thursday and make sure it needs them. I did notice the other weekend out it has an ever so slight pull to the left on first touch of the brakes. Not severe, but made me notice and then yesterday it has a slight squeal as it just stops. Makes me think things are getting thin.

Larry

Update. Pulled left wheel off, seems the brakes are fine. Got a leaky wheel seal, let some grease drip on the drum and that's all. Picking up new seals this week.

Good Deal! Hope the other side is ok also.

It is time to play with the racecar anyways.

As a a wise man once said, Keep it simple stupid and don't make it more complicated than it really is.

Remember racecar spelled backwards is racecar.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Good Deal! Hope the other side is ok also.

It is time to play with the racecar anyways.

As a a wise man once said, Keep it simple stupid and don't make it more complicated than it really is.

Remember racecar spelled backwards is racecar.

Jim

That's also why I've been so successful in my radar career. I can spell it forwards, and backwards.

Rob

Ya, got my first points race this coming Sunday. I'm getting TWO seals, as the other side could be going south too? I left the truck outside, so Saturday morning I can knock the wheels off and go at it. If weather doesn't permit that, I'll drive it Sunday and do it next week.

Larry

Well, had time last night to get into fixing seal. At least I thought. Got it apart, cleaned up seal surface to find some scoremarks and concluded that it needs a speedisleeve. Ugh. I was going to get up early today and stop and get one but blew that off. I'll stop next week and get one(about $60 for that lil pecker) so I can "make it right". When I had it apart Tues, I don't recall the marks and I wiped it off. I can't believe I scored it up moving the truck a few feet in the driveway?? could I?? Oh well, my luck.

It will survive the short jaunt Sunday(since it's been screwed up for how long?), and I'll worry about it next weekend. Good news, the bearings are still nice and smooth even after 50 yrs.

Larry

Well, had time last night to get into fixing seal. At least I thought. Got it apart, cleaned up seal surface to find some scoremarks and concluded that it needs a speedisleeve. Ugh. I was going to get up early today and stop and get one but blew that off. I'll stop next week and get one(about $60 for that lil pecker) so I can "make it right". When I had it apart Tues, I don't recall the marks and I wiped it off. I can't believe I scored it up moving the truck a few feet in the driveway?? could I?? Oh well, my luck.

It will survive the short jaunt Sunday(since it's been screwed up for how long?), and I'll worry about it next weekend. Good news, the bearings are still nice and smooth even after 50 yrs.

I could not find availability on a "speedi sleeve" type repair for mine Larry. The seal with the new weare ring were almost $139.00 each for mine. I have the Stemco numbers at the shop if you need them.

Don't think running the truck a few feet in the driveway did any damage as that is a very hard surface hardness area.

Rob

Go here:

http://vsm.skf.com/e...eediSleeve.aspx

They have a full listing.

Page 12:

Part no 99363 covers a 3.625 shaft, .500 wide which should take care of it.

Looking at mine, it doesn't look like you can replace the area where the seal rides? (does not look shrunk on there). Maybe I wasn't looking close enough?

I understand the Stemco design after the fiasco with my air ride last summer. This did not have anything like that on the spindle.

Larry

Go here:

http://vsm.skf.com/e...eediSleeve.aspx

They have a full listing.

Page 12:

Part no 99363 covers a 3.625 shaft, .500 wide which should take care of it.

Looking at mine, it doesn't look like you can replace the area where the seal rides? (does not look shrunk on there). Maybe I wasn't looking close enough?

I understand the Stemco design after the fiasco with my air ride last summer. This did not have anything like that on the spindle.

We looked through the "Stemco", "CR", "SKF", "National", and a couple of the others but could not come up with the correct sleeve repair kit. This was for an FA-517 axle but FA-505 uses same setup. The wear rings pushes up against the butt of the spindle. Accumulated oil/grease causes it to "glue" itself into place. A sharp chisle, or stiff bladed putty knife will break it loose. There is an "O" ring in the internal opening of the wear ring that seals this ring to the outer surface of the spindle. If you have this setup, be certain to replace that "O" ring!!

Rob

I hate to have pull it apart to recheck, but I'm positive there was no wear ring on my spindle. I wiped it off and the surface perpendicular behind it. Nothing out of the ordinary, no edges, nothing. Nothing on the forward edge of that seal surface, along it's perpendicular surface down to the bearing race surface.

Larry

I hate to have pull it apart to recheck, but I'm positive there was no wear ring on my spindle. I wiped it off and the surface perpendicular behind it. Nothing out of the ordinary, no edges, nothing. Nothing on the forward edge of that seal surface, along it's perpendicular surface down to the bearing race surface.

Your's very well could be different from mine but I thought mine was one piece also. If the parts guy hadn't been so incessant I'd have never delved further. On mine, the back side of the wear ring was ground so flat, along with the front face of the spindle, it looked like a solid part. I'll snap some photos tonight as I've not assembled the axle yet.

Rob