front spring wedges?

macattack

Usually one each side but only if the caster dimension needs correction. Sometimes you'll see one only on one side but usually not from the factory that way. Sometimes front spring 'arch' will require the use of the wedges to achieve the proper caster setting. What springs......multi-leaf or taper-leaf?

thanks. i took a quick peek at my other truck(not a mack) and that also has only one wedge. so i guess its a caster thing. anyways my driver side is about 1 inch lower than my pass side. they are tapered front springs. think i am gonna replace the whole spring pack on the driver side.

thanks again

thanks. i took a quick peek at my other truck(not a mack) and that also has only one wedge. so i guess its a caster thing. anyways my driver side is about 1 inch lower than my pass side. they are tapered front springs. think i am gonna replace the whole spring pack on the driver side.

thanks again

Replace springs in pairs or the new one will be short lived as the other side has already begun to "sag" due to age.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

V8's right.....do them both w/new u-bolts, nuts & hardened flatwashers (if applicable). Also, new spring pins would be cheap insurance too!

Great advice! May I also suggest using some heavy gear oil between the hardened washer and nut, plus your choice of quality thread lube... I found it helps torque the nuts up not only easier, but helps eliminate u-bolt twist whilst tensioning too :)

Replace springs in pairs or the new one will be short lived as the other side has already begun to "sag" due to age.

Rob

SO...If I break a spring on the driver side, I should replace the passenger side spring thats not broken?! THATS SILLY!! At a cost of 800 to 1000$ for a spring and u blots for a 20,000# front.

SO... If I get a flat tire on the driver front, I should replace the passenger side tire thats not flat?! THATS SILLY!! At a cost of 800 to 1000$ for a 425/65/22.5

just sayn' BOBO

SO...If I break a spring on the driver side, I should replace the passenger side spring thats not broken?! THATS SILLY!! At a cost of 800 to 1000$ for a spring and u blots for a 20,000# front.

SO... If I get a flat tire on the driver front, I should replace the passenger side tire thats not flat?! THATS SILLY!! At a cost of 800 to 1000$ for a 425/65/22.5

just sayn' BOBO

The answer to your first question is yes; It is a cost of doing business.

The answer to the second question is up to the vehicle owner. Being a non driven axle both wheels can spin at differing rates independent of each other and not cause undue wear such as a Mack power divider suffers when running mismatched tires on the rear(s).

Your concerns are not "Silly", nor out of line. There are all kinds of "cowboys" out there repairing vehicles the way they see fit. If they own and make the call to facilitate repairs as cheaply as possible, the liability is upon them. As the owner of a repair facility, I have to make prudent judgement as such to be covered against the liability exposure.

I'm not a spring expert by any means and am not qualified to make the call to replace a single side or not. I am however in charge of my future and in the position to make the call to perform the job or pass it by. A repair does not leave my shop until I am personally satisfied and confident in it whether I physically performed the repair or not. I've had to back this up in court and run my professional life based upon personal integrity.

Just my thoughts, practices, and business ethics. I stay busy this way.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I agree with Rob you should replace in pairs.The unbroken spring has been under more load since the other spring has broke. Replace JUST the broken one with a new one,watch and wait until the other older spring breaks. Ive seen it happen. Replace in pairs. There are two types of maintenance-preventative OR reactive. The second (reactive) one is always more costly.

Welll I guess Im just a "cowboy"

If one slack adj. is bad im not going to change the other five! If a peanut bulb in the dash goes out, Im not going to change them all! If one wheel seal is leaking, and the other wheel seals are not, Im not going to change them all! If I rip one mud flap off, and the other side is still firmly attached to the hanger, Im not going to change them all! The expection to the "cowboy" mentality If one wheel stud is broken, I will change three wheel studs! If more than one wheel stud is broken, I will change all wheel studs on the particular wheel/hub! not all the wheel/studs on the truck!

I am a OWNER/OPERARATOR as well as a LICENCED 310T MECHANIC. after/during and or prior to a repair, an inspection is made, and if its NOT BROKEN, WORE OUT or DAMAGED. THIS 'COWBOYS' NOT CHANGING IT!

funny... a salesman always tries to get you to buy more than one, even though you only need one. I guess thats 'cowboy paranoia' Cowboy bob o

Welll I guess Im just a "cowboy"

If one slack adj. is bad im not going to change the other five! If a peanut bulb in the dash goes out, Im not going to change them all! If one wheel seal is leaking, and the other wheel seals are not, Im not going to change them all! If I rip one mud flap off, and the other side is still firmly attached to the hanger, Im not going to change them all! The expection to the "cowboy" mentality If one wheel stud is broken, I will change three wheel studs! If more than one wheel stud is broken, I will change all wheel studs on the particular wheel/hub! not all the wheel/studs on the truck!

I am a OWNER/OPERARATOR as well as a LICENCED 310T MECHANIC. after/during and or prior to a repair, an inspection is made, and if its NOT BROKEN, WORE OUT or DAMAGED. THIS 'COWBOYS' NOT CHANGING IT!

funny... a salesman always tries to get you to buy more than one, even though you only need one. I guess thats 'cowboy paranoia' Cowboy bob o

I think you miss the point. Safety is paramount whether it is yours, or the motoring public. As you mention, you are the "owner operator" and the choice is yours to make. Hard to sue yourself if something is missed and it breaks causing harm or damage to someone, or someone's property. Not doubting you, or your abilities at all but it's a whole different game when you do something for hire, as opposed to making your own repairs.

Rob

I think you have missed the point. Springs are also an exception to the rule. Replace them in pairs. If one spring is broken then the other is not soon behind after the new one is installed. If you replace just one you run the risk of causing the truck to lean to the unchanged side that can cause unsafe steering and handling conditions. Like I said before there are two types of maintenance. I'd rather repair the other side since the truck is already getting serviced then to wait and either it be the cause of an accident, an out of service tag, or a tow bill. Whats the lesser of the two evils? Paying up front for PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE or paying out the ass for REACTIVE MAINTENANCE EITHER WAY AS AN O/O you'll have to pay for it.