What's this about radials?

:SMOKIE-RT:

Hi all;

Hey,on another Forum I was told by several other members that installing radial tires on my ol' '54 GMC 2 ton would be courting tire failures. According to them,as I understand their stance,having Radials (9.00R-20's,in this case) on a truck that gets infrequent use will cause the tires to rot from within and cause them to blow out within 3 years. apparently,with Bias ply tires,extended sitting,as in storage,results in "flat spotting" which works itself out over a few miles,but Radials in this circumstance results in explosions or throwing of tread,or both. This is news to me-have you guys heard of this problem? One gentleman in particular referenced SEVERAL cases where his commercial trucks were experiencing blow outs at an alarming rate,apparently regardless of brand. I asked if maybe it was an air pressure or overloading issure rather than the Radial tires being the cause,and was "politely" told that he'd been running trucks most of his life and knew how to check tire pressures and load trucks properly. Anyway,I stopped short of raising the BS flag,but it seems like with that kind of self-destruction rate,the DOT would red flag Radials on OTR trucks.

I'm currently puttinf a deal together with a man on still a different Forum for six very low miles 9.00R-22.5's on recently powder coated wheels that will fit my '54. I might not be doing 500 miles a day with full loads on 'em,but I DO plan to be making occasional runs to Reno with moderate loads and/or a trailer at the speed limit (or slightly over),so better-than-typical tires will be a worthy investment.

BTW-I'm also working on getting "RE-MACK"ed. Don't wanna jinx the deal,though,I'll post pics if/when it's done.

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

I have heard that theory before, but it was a long time ago. Don't know if it still is an issue. I would think not.

Has to do with the belts getting a metal fatigue from sitting over a long period.

The other thing about it if I recall was if the tire was changed, and not rotating in the same direction would weaken.

Radials are used extensively on recreation vehicles, trailers and motor homes, which are the very definition of a lightly use vehicle for most folks. Trailers in particular seem to have a lot of reports of blow outs, but I think it is mostly related to overloading and tires which are beyond their service life. I know I went through a couple of blow outs on my fifth wheel before I changed the 15 inch wheels to 16's and upped the load range as well. No problems since.

I'd check the urban myth meter on this one.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I had a similar comment to fxfymn, my 5th wheel camper only gets moved 3-5 times a year and I have no problems. Also at work we use our trucks seasonally (spring&fall time) and we have had the same tires on for years with no problems. This sounds like a wives tale to me, lots of thoughts and opinions with no science to back it up. Like you said DOT would outlaw radial if this was really a problem since trailers can sit for some time in between uses.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

How about tire life? They say tires have a finite life. I have heard 3-5 years. The rag tires on the back of my AC were put on in 1936. They are goodyear balloon tires. I forget the size, but something goofy like13.5x22. I have only driven it a total of 9 miles in three different trips. Max speed about 25. I have other trucks with 25 year old tires. Should they all be replaced if I am going to drive the trucks.

Mike

According to some research I did for an article I wrote about trailers the DOT puts tire life at 7 years. That is why the serial number has a date code in it.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

That sounds like garbage - look at all the grain trucks all over the country that have been switched over to radials - a lot only get used for a month in the fall and sit the rest of the year.

We have fewer problems with tubeless radials then we did with bais tires on them, they just have such a better load rating.