New member and model b61

hi am new

I'm going to be buying a 1956 model b61t mack thats now a dump truck from a guy in newport R.I.

it has an 85 or 84 drivetrain swapped in. So its a 237, 5 speed and not sure about axle. It has maxi brakes and is a single rear axle.

i would like to know what the 61 means in b61, is it just a destination as far as say f250, f350, or k10 or k20. Also would the 5 speed be enough for a truck like this. I mean i know it can do the job, I'm just wanting to put in say an fuller 10 speed. And would jakes in a truck this small be unsafe or unpractical. Thanks, will get picture up soon.

1956 B61t 237, 5 Speed, Project

1993 Dodge W350 Dually, 12v, 5 Speed, Flatbed

i plan of on using it for everyday summer use and maybe get a large trailer to tow around. Mostly for contracting and maybe a show or two

welcome,,and enjoyyour new toy,,,the driveline is fine,,dont touch it.little underpowered for work,,but your alrite long as your not hitting too many hillslol.bob

Hehe...hills he says..... Bob theres just one problem. Out here in the far east we have an aweful lot of those things called "hills"....especially in R.I. and CT.

:WELCOME: I love B Models, they're my favorite. We have a B60 we're restoring.

A B61 means (like f250, f350, C2500, C3500, etc.) the load capacity and size. Even numbered B Models (B42, B60, B80 etc.) were gas powered. Odd numbered ones (B45, B61, B75 etc.) were Diesel powered. A B60 is exactly the as a B61 exept it was originally gasoline powered. There could also be a letter(s) like T or S. "T" means "tractor" "S" means "tandem" "ST" means "tandem tractor" also "X" means severe-duty chassis. There's also more than that.

The first thing you should do when you get the truck, is get the chassis number (B61 4603 or something like that) from behind the passenger side front spring shackle, and send it to the the Mack Museum. They'll send you a factory build sheet, an owner's manual, and all kinds of cool stuff. They can tell you where it was built, when, what configuration it was, and things like that.

Good Luck,

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Yep, we get quite a bit of snow. But this year, not so much. I live in Glenfield, any of you guys been there? Two bars in town so I don't know if you bikers have been. One is Rockys Pub and Club Central, central has awesome fish fry.

You frequent them, Cousin Vinny?

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Thanks for all the quick responses

Do any of u guys know what kind gvrw a b61t would be around, like high 20s, 30s or what, the owner didn't know

I know it is a b61t for tractor and it was converted to a dump truck, most Likely when the people before swapped drivetrain

Also what would be the best approach to shifting the five speed from the 85, double or single clutching or clitchless. I was just thinking that it would seem to me harder to get perfect clitchless shifts because it's a syncroed tranny with wide ratios