Good Parts Guy

I have been working with Dale Estes of Milford Truck Parts, in Illinois. He seems to be a pretty good guy. He is trying to help me find the parts I need to build a truck, and he has some good contacts and sources for parts.

http://www.milfordtruckparts.com/index.htm

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I have been working with Dale Estes of Milford Truck Parts, in Illinois. He seems to be a pretty good guy. He is trying to help me find the parts I need to build a truck, and he has some good contacts and sources for parts.

http://www.milfordtr...s.com/index.htm

I have bought a few Mack parts from him in the past, real nice guy to deal with. its been a while since i have been there maybe (3-4) years. i live about 75-100 miles from there. last time i was there the yard was kinda bare. i guess i will have to make it over there to see what new he has. Ron

I have bought a few Mack parts from him in the past, real nice guy to deal with. its been a while since i have been there maybe (3-4) years. i live about 75-100 miles from there. last time i was there the yard was kinda bare. i guess i will have to make it over there to see what new he has. Ron

I can't divulge the location right now, Ron, but Dale is working on a deal to net him a BUNCH of goodies.

And, there's a pretty good chance I will get a few pieces in the deal!

Kent

• 3 weeks later...

Okay! My parts guy has made a deal to buy everything in a salvage yard. I walked around this yard with him a few weeks back, and there are literally hundreds of trucks there...probably in excess of 300. There are A LOT of complete and partial Macks there.

I found a handful in there which I might be able to use as the base for my project. There are also a lot of things there which do not interest me, personally, but may be useful to someone else. I saw one complete R640T there. They only make about 97 of those altogether.

My contact is planning on selling anything nobody wants for scrap dollars. In fact, his quote is based on scrapping everything in there at market scrap prices. So, he would be willing to sell truck for about the same price as scrap, if anybody's interested.

His plan is to immediately remove and scrap anything that is not likely to sell (later-model, run-of-the-mill stuff), to make a hole in the yard. Then, the more interesting stuff (like all the Macks) can be pulled out into this area and evaluated. It is at this point I am going to go back for another visit, and try to pick out some pieces.

Keep in mind that these trucks are in a salvage yard, and most have been for many years. So, don't plan on driving them home! But, there are many good, complete trucks there.

If anybody wants to be in on this deal, P.M. me, and I'll try to hook you up.

Kent

can you take some photo`s and post them?

of the mack`s i mean.

thank you.

Sure will. I have a few pictures already. But, I don't have near all of them.

Keep in mind that these trucks ARE in a junk yard. I suspect all of them will need re-cabbed, or at least need a lot of cab work. I did not see one Mack cab that I would want to take home to meet Momma. But, since I am planning to upgrade to a later cab anyway, that does not hurt me that much.

Once Dale gets some of the Macks pulled out into a clear area, I will get pics and VIN numbers off as many of them as I can. Of 11 they checked yesterday, there were 8 which had titles. So, that's a good sign.

In the meantime, I will attach a couple of the pics I took there before. This will give you some idea of the conditions..

My goal is to come out of there with serviceable parts; frame, axles, engine, trans. After we get those parts home, the real work will begin!

Kent

post-11199-0-35212400-1335299417_thumb.j

post-11199-0-92931900-1335299418_thumb.j

post-11199-0-44160600-1335299420_thumb.j

post-11199-0-43853800-1335299421_thumb.j

post-11199-0-53637900-1335299422_thumb.j

• Like 1

are there any brockways in the yard, please check,

thanks

gg2

I think there were a couple of Brockways. As soon as the guys can get this stuff pulled out and organized, there will be an inventory list made up. Then we will know more about what there is there.

Kent

thank you for the photo`s.

if it was not so far from my house i`d like to come and see it in person.

maybe there is a truck or parts i like and could use.

but as i said to far away.

mack4ever.

Like I told the other guys, as soon as we can, we will be making an inventory list. I'll try to figure out a way to post it here. My parts guys reaffirmed that he would rather see the trucks sold, rather than crushed, if at all possible.

More to come...

Kent

Dang those are cool Macks!!!! Is there any U models? I like that little older single axle R model.

I don't remember seeing a U, Vinny. But, it would not surprise me to find some. There were several DMs, though.

That single-axle is an R640. These were gas-powered. It still has the 6-cylinder gas engine in it. Has a 10-speed (direct) Duplex trans. Somebody made some odd-ball trailer hitch mount for the rear. It is single-framed, but has the heavy-spec dual rear springs with the "6-bolt" spring hangers. This is a HEAVY rear end. Did not get the axle ratio yet, but gassers were generally geared pretty deep. This unit is actually one of the ones I am considering for a foundation for mine. I think they found one more single-axle R-model there this week. I really want to start with a single-screw, if I can.

Will keep you posted,

Kent

I don't remember seeing a U, Vinny. But, it would not surprise me to find some. There were several DMs, though.

That single-axle is an R640. These were gas-powered. It still has the 6-cylinder gas engine in it. Has a 10-speed (direct) Duplex trans. Somebody made some odd-ball trailer hitch mount for the rear. It is single-framed, but has the heavy-spec dual rear springs with the "6-bolt" spring hangers. This is a HEAVY rear end. Did not get the axle ratio yet, but gassers were generally geared pretty deep. This unit is actually one of the ones I am considering for a foundation for mine. I think they found one more single-axle R-model there this week. I really want to start with a single-screw, if I can.

Will keep you posted,

Kent

OK, thanks Kent.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

old dm looks good. any pics of the brocks would be good , thanks

gg2

I'll find out in a few weeks. If I find any, I'll get some pics. I do know there were a couple in another of the guy's yards. I recall one that used an R-model cab, too.

Stay tuned...

Kent

Where's this stuff at?I'd be interested in that Superliner if it was reasonably close.

It's in the state of West Virginia. That's my problem, too. It's a far piece to drive to look around. So, once my guy gets everything sorted out, I'll try to get more details. Give me a couple of weeks.

Kent