Air cleaner question?

I got mine from a parts truck I had purchased. It is aluminium. I sent it out and had it polished. They bolt right on. You just need a clamp on the bottom and top. Its an extension of the bonnet.

There used to be a bracing assembly offered consisting of a collar and three arms attaching to the mid section of the riser tube. There is quite a bit of wind blast resistance against that tube at hiway speed and the support is needed.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Like this-and I too would like to find a chrome one-at least the bonnet-at a reasonable price. Kind of hurts to pay 200 bucks for something made in china.

But what isn't anymore. Just today I had a Tektronix oscilloscope calibrated. This scope cost $16,000 last year new and the tag on the back: "Made in China".

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Like this-and I too would like to find a chrome one-at least the bonnet-at a reasonable price. Kind of hurts to pay 200 bucks for something made in china.

Get a piece of 4" exaust tube with an expanded end a cut to lenght. Ron

Get a piece of 4" exaust tube with an expanded end a cut to lenght. Ron

Good thought for the stack-I think the base is flared-I'll check out-In the back of my mind I think the tube is 4.5" I took the measurements a while back and e-mailed to a chrome shop in Syracuse-guy came back at...." $485 to start"!

Good thought for the stack-I think the base is flared-I'll check out-In the back of my mind I think the tube is 4.5" I took the measurements a while back and e-mailed to a chrome shop in Syracuse-guy came back at...." $485 to start"!

I seen one made from aluminum that was a series of bands at the bottom. The base tube was 4.5" but the hole in the air cleaner was larger. The last two inches of the tube were built up from aluminum "collars" which were pieces of aluminum tube with an internal diameter fitting the external diameter of each collar. Then the assembly was welded together nicely and this is what showed. It looked like it was home made but nicely done. A tree collision destroyed it so it was thrown away.

Might be an option for what you want to do if you can't have the tube "swaged" larger on the end.

Rob

I got mine from Matt Pfahl, was on Ebay when I saw it. Came with chrome stack and new top. I liked my big top better, as the one that came with it was the small rounded version. I'm thinking it was $150? Something like that. I wanted the tall version and it's not a std exhaust size.

No braces on mine and it's not a problem for the last 5-6 yrs.

SDC10863.jpg

Without the riser, if the passenger wing window was open too far it would bang into the lid when you opened the door fully. The lid had a good dent in it from years of that happening.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

your bonnet is the correct one the newer ones are like mine. Both of mine that i wanted to used were rotted and to far gone to mess with.

220, F'Train--Both of yours look good. I would say mine is the correct bonnet-no rot, its solid but this old dog was a dump truck since day one and my guess is the bonnet caught its share of trees off road as it has a few dents in it. The flare at the bottom is 4.5" and the stub in the air cleaner is about a 4.25+/- Not the easiest thing to matchup.

• 5 weeks later...

There used to be a bracing assembly offered consisting of a collar and three arms attaching to the mid section of the riser tube. There is quite a bit of wind blast resistance against that tube at hiway speed and the support is needed.

Rob

I agree,Rob.I've seen an air cleaner "kinked" at the top because of the weight of the bonnet(even though its not that much), but stick it up in the air a little bit, and the force of the wind against it can tweak it to the rear a little bit..Then other guys have no problems! I don't know if its the original production air cleaners vs. newer reproduction ones or what?

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA