titan or granite ?

You're right on the dividing line between the two- at 120k gcw the Granite's maximum 505 horses is just adaquite, but the Titans 605 horses will come with a price and weight penalty. The choice probably depends on how hilly an area you're trucking in, as 505 horses are probably enough on flat roads, though if you're trucking in the mountains 605 horses could significantly reduce your trip times.

we are in vermont so there are some steep long hills, we have 460xt now and 500v8 and a 427 turned up to 500 plus with a blixxton box so we really want a titan but weight and price are an issue . but i think we willl end up with a titan :)

How in the world did we survive back in the day when we were pulling the same weight and the biggest HP we had was a 237 or a 350. Now we wonder if 505 HP can do the job. So far with the 2012 MP-8's we have had no issuses here with the DPF/SCR. We did have 2 trucks that broke the #6 injector in half but thats it. My friends 505 has gone 15,000 miles and never regened and is getting in the high 7's (MPG) and he runs it really hard. He went and picked up a new hopper bottom trailer and brought it back (around 300 miles) at 70-75 mph and got 9.1 mpg. When geared right they can do whatever you want.

• 1 month later...

505m 18 speed trans 8.27 gears 52mph on the highway and our weights are always a total of 125,000 gross truck plus load ...... hauling that black gold !!!!! truck tare weight is 40,000 thats a 85,000 pound load on average some quite higher some lower but 42 ton average does the job with power to spare and we have no flat roads with lots of grades too 12%

Edited by GWT

237? how in the hell did the old timers ever get by with a sick old 673 natural and you guys are contimplating over 5 and 600 horse? geesh haha Matt

Pulled a 50 ton low bed for years with a 350 and it was great. Then the 425 Cat came out and a lot of guys said wow big power. That 350 still got the job done no problem with my favorite 12 speed.

Kind of a shame that the CL was such a short run. Mack had that pretty much right right out of the box. When the Signature 600 Cummins became available, you had a real sensible high horsepower heavy hauler with a ride like a pickup truck. I think the Titan is cool for extreme heavy haul, but for most 7 or 8 axle work, its just too big.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/