tractor park valve (the blue one)

unclebilly

Is the tractor park valve supposed to be spring loaded?

Mine had a slight leak so I bought a new valve to replace it. Unfortunately, the dealer gave me a trailer supply valve.

I took both valves apart and used the o-rings and disk from the new tractor supply valve to fix my tractor park valve.

I think some genius may have tried to fis my tractor park valve before with aviation form a gasket.

Is the tractor park valve supposed to be spring loaded?

Mine had a slight leak so I bought a new valve to replace it. Unfortunately, the dealer gave me a trailer supply valve.

I took both valves apart and used the o-rings and disk from the new tractor supply valve to fix my tractor park valve.

I think some genius may have tried to fis my tractor park valve before with aviation form a gasket.

I've seen them both ways. I like the ones that are not spring loaded as I only have to mash the brake release button instead of both of them.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have four trucks with the blue knob and they are spring loaded. If the yellow knob is pulled out, (setting parking brakes) the blue knob has no pressure. To move the tractor you have to push both the yellow which charges the port for the blue valve, then push the blue knob to release the tractor brakes. If you push the yellow only, the tractor brakes do not release.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have four trucks with the blue knob and they are spring loaded. If the yellow knob is pulled out, (setting parking brakes) the blue knob has no pressure. To move the tractor you have to push both the yellow which charges the port for the blue valve, then push the blue knob to release the tractor brakes. If you push the yellow only, the tractor brakes do not release.

Rob

That's definitely different from the few that I drove. You could set the tractor brakes using the blue knob or the yellow knob. Having no prior experience with this setup, I wondered why the blue knob was even there. All 3 trucks had there cabs replaced which makes me think that possibly something was changed in the process???

Jim

I've only driven 3 trucks with the third "blue" knob and that was how they worked. It became inactive when the yellow knob was pushed and you technicaaly did not have to use the blue knob at all.

This is how my truck is. I never use the blue nob but it did have a slight leak so I decided to fix it. I guess if I put a spring in it, I have to use it. If I leave the spring out, I can just use the yellow knob.

Edited by unclebilly

Rob

True here also Rob,,,,randyp

With air lines attached to a trailer,

Red charges the trailer

Yellow sets and releases tractor and trailer brakes

Blue sets and releases tractor brakes

Yellow overides the blue

Blue is not spring loaded

FW

My blue knobs are and will not stay depressed unless the yellow knob is pushed in. The blue knobs will pop back out with no air in the tanks, or the yellow knob is out. If the yellow, and the blue knobs are depressed, the tractor spring brakes are released and the tractor can be driven. If you pull the yellow knob to set the spring parking brakes, the blue knob will also pop out. When the tanks are above about 45psi and the yellow knob pressed in the tractors will not move until the blue knobs are pushed in.

Rob

Around here, we say that real trucks have 3 buttons. Dad always ordered the few new Macks we have had with three buttons until that wasn't an option any more. I think that the blue button went to the way side in 01' with the new style dash. I use the blue button a lot. Use them if you got'em. - Brad

I drove a few Macks in the 80s and I always wondered about the blue button. Never used it that I can remember. We had some older freight trailers and if you didn't charge the brakes before you backed under it the trailer could take off like a rocket. Especially on ice.