Cracking front rim

MCHAM

I have a RD690S Quad Dump truck, and I keep cracking the the rim around the lug nut on the driver's side. I'm about to put rim #4 on in the morn. The 1st and 2nd rims were alum. and the 3rd and 4th are steel. Does anyone out there know why I am having this issue? I want to put floats on the front of my truck, but I need to solve this issue 1st.

As Mike said there may be something wrong with the hub. I'd have the face of the hub runout checked about an inch outside of the lug studs. Rust build up can also not allow a rim to seat proper and a lot of stress is imparted when the lug nuts are tightened. This recurring problem has a cause and it could be overloading but four three wheels is cause for concern.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have to replace the studs and nuts occasionally on my granite quad axle.. Inspect your studs really well and your nuts to make sure they arent stripping or stressed. Also could be problem with someone installing too tight. Or someone not installing the nuts in sequence. There is kind of an art to putting on rims correctly. Been thru a few rims myself. Check the obvious first. Also a bad kingpin can cause alot of stress on that rim.

I have to replace the studs and nuts occasionally on my granite quad axle.. Inspect your studs really well and your nuts to make sure they arent stripping or stressed. Also could be problem with someone installing too tight. Or someone not installing the nuts in sequence. There is kind of an art to putting on rims correctly. Been thru a few rims myself. Check the obvious first. Also a bad kingpin can cause alot of stress on that rim.

I had the same thing happen with a truck that I can not name on this forum (they also made red farm tractors). I went through two wheels before I changed out the wheel studs. When I got them out and measured them, they had stretched so much you could see it. They stretched, let the wheel be a little loose, then it would crack.

My mechanic said that if I had only been hauling flowers for Mother's day on a hard surface it would not have happened.

• 1 month later...

since it is the same wheel all the time, as previously stated check the hub/studs.here is what we did to eliminate broken wheels/studs on budd wheels steel or aluminum.on a single wheel axle put a neopream spacer between drum and wheel the same kind used to prevent scuffing aluminum wheels with air gun socket.on a dual wheel axle place a neopream spacer between drum and inside wheel then neopream spacer between both wheels tighten up and be on your merry way. we pull quite a bit of weight on 9 axles this has eliminated the cracked wheel broken stud prob.

I have a freind which has broken same stud maybe 4 times on a front wheel so same thing here if its on same hole ever time then its not the way it is installed so i myself would do as been stated use the fiber spacer or replace the hub.My freind has not found a hub yet because we think the axle is from a B 81.

glenn akers