Trimming the fleet

Underdog

Things have changed for me recently and I have too many trucks in the yard so I decided to donate an F model cab to a friend's Brockway project. I don't see me getting to this project anytime soon, so I am glad to let it go to someone who needs it more than me.

post-2694-0-91957900-1327614783.jpg post-2694-0-54180700-1327614796.jpg

The good news for you guys is that I now have a good running 237/ 5- speed for sale as I will be parting out this chassis. I will post in the for sale forum with details.

I was going to build this truck into a tandem road tractor but my RW now fills that need, and has been taking most of my time and money recently.

Gregg

Gregg,

Speaking of the RW, any updates, more pictures?

Dave

Hello, Dave. I appreciate your concern. You will appreciate my situation because I know you have been through it already with your E9. My RW is becoming the proverbial "can of worms". Put the truck in the shop Tuesday 1/24 to diagnose excess smoke and oil consumption. I knew of oil seeping around the head gaskets but I was hoping I had more time. There was trace amounts of coolant in the oil, so I did not want to let that go too much longer. Also, exhaust valves were sitting deep and some guides were bad, burning oil. So we are doing the head gaskets, refreshing the cyl heads, and top end of the injector pump & governor. Pistons & liners look OK and oil pressure was good so we are leaving go the bottom end. TransEdge Mack in Allentown is doing the work in-house. These engines are costly but even more so if things are let go too long. I don't want to take any chances. Not complaining, though. I knew what I was getting involved with and don't regret the purchase of this truck.

Gregg

Hello, Dave. I appreciate your concern. You will appreciate my situation because I know you have been through it already with your E9. My RW is becoming the proverbial "can of worms". Put the truck in the shop Tuesday 1/24 to diagnose excess smoke and oil consumption. I knew of oil seeping around the head gaskets but I was hoping I had more time. There was trace amounts of coolant in the oil, so I did not want to let that go too much longer. Also, exhaust valves were sitting deep and some guides were bad, burning oil. So we are doing the head gaskets, refreshing the cyl heads, and top end of the injector pump & governor. Pistons & liners look OK and oil pressure was good so we are leaving go the bottom end. TransEdge Mack in Allentown is doing the work in-house. These engines are costly but even more so if things are let go too long. I don't want to take any chances. Not complaining, though. I knew what I was getting involved with and don't regret the purchase of this truck.

Gregg

I'd lay odds you will be very happy in about a month with doing the maintenance now.

I don't think your wasting money at all. Many of these "maintenance items" being performed now are a one time cost, very much unlike a new truck payment.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Absolutely....if I had $1 for every time someone asked me when I was going to get a new truck now that I've finished paying off the one I've got, I could afford truck payments again.

I look at it this way: I could spend a guaranteed $800+ per month on a truck payment....and I'd still have regular maintenance expenses and an OCCASIONAL repair bill...

....or I could just have the regular maintenance and an OCCASIONAL repair bill.

Besides, I've had this truck nearly 4 years now and it's still not 100% set up the way I want it.....why the hell would I want to start over again from scratch? Even without a truck payment factored in, that isn't a very appealing idea.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I'd lay odds you will be very happy in about a month with doing the maintenance now.

I don't think your wasting money at all. Many of these "maintenance items" being performed now are a one time cost, very much unlike a new truck payment.

Rob

I don't ever mind keeping things in proper working order. I was hoping to have a bit more time to save up some $$$ before any major expenses set in with this truck. But I have been in tighter spots before and the RW should now be a reliable runner for a long while to climb back out of this latest hole.

Gregg

Is the chassis a tandem? What ratio? which steer axle?

Thanks

The F785 chassis is a single axle 128" wheelbase. Rear axle 4.00 ratio with a big hole in the carrier after it siezed from lack of oil.

Front axle is FA 534 with oil hubs and 20" spokes. I also have for sale an FA535 with grease hubs and 20" spokes.

Gregg