1992 RD690S

New to the trucking world, but I'm looking at buying a tandem Mack dump 18 yd. Truck. It has 190,000 original miles. They are asking 22,500. It is in very good condition and it has a 350 hp e7 engine, with a 9 speed trans. Beside hauling dirt, it will primarily be used to haul a 650j dozer and possibly a 160lc John Deere excavator, the excavator being the heaviest(35,000-38,000). My question is would this be a good buy and do you think it would pull the excavator fine with the tag trailer..? Thanks for ya'lls help. All opinions are appreciated

Very good looking truck

Things I notice from pictures, not trying to nock the truck

Apears to be converted tracter

Gears may be wrong for dump truck, especially with 9spd overdrive trans

373 gears with that trans and tall rubber will be a pos

Wheel base a bit short, to much tail hangover, will have to load on cabshield and nothing against tailgate to get enough on steer to be leagle

Sorry but I'm not a big fan of putting a dump bed on a road tractor

A "690" would have come from the factory with a 300hp engine or under, unless the engine had to go through a special engineering review. I custom ordered a 355/380 Maxi-Cruise in my '02 RD and it came out as a 690 instead of a 688 as a result. Should have never sold that truck.

A "690" would have come from the factory with a 300hp engine or under, unless the engine had to go through a special engineering review. I custom ordered a 355/380 Maxi-Cruise in my '02 RD and it came out as a 690 instead of a 688 as a result. Should have never sold that truck.

If you don't mind convoy, take a look at the link at tell me what you think about it. Thanks man.

Like mentioned the only issue I see is that the gearing for the mud is not perfect. the 9 speed is more of an on road transmission. I have driven many in the dirt and they will go in and out just fine but if you are stopped and have to start in the think muck first gear is a little fast and is hard ont the clutch. it also lacks a selection of reverse gears but you can get over that....If you do alot of highway it will be fine. Alot of guys put in a 8LL for dump truck and highway. as far as the rest of the truck the double frame is good unless you run in alot of salt. rears and front axel are bullit proof . engine is good and a simple truck to work around if you have basic tools.

The way it was explained to me,under the new,modern & "improved" numbering system,a "690" was a Maxidyne engine,and a "688" was an Econodyne engine.Evidently the Maxi-Cruise engines are in the Maxidyne family.

It doesn't look bad, but i agree that converted tractors rarely make good dump trucks. There are so many reasonably priced used dump trucks that I wouldn't pay good money for a road tractor conversion, even if it is a Mack. When you order one from scratch, it becomes apparent in just how different a properly spec'd dump truck is from a road tractor.

I agree on the tractors after watching the yo-yo's in miami. But La,Ms,and Tx got funky weight laws. I don't think that truck would ever get a work out until it pulls the excavator. Probably only gross 43 to 54k Alot of those roads in Ms they got 58k and change weight limits on 5 axle.

Fellow Mackanians, please enlighten or correct me if Im wrong. but is it possible to tell by model or VIN number if a truck is a converted road tractor or a dedicated original dump truck? Is there something bout the last 2 letters? For example R688ST or R688S? Im just curious. My 86 is a R686ST, and am looking at buying another that is also a ST. Input greatly appreciated,,,thanks,,,randyp

S means dual drive. T means tractor, but it can be applied to a straight truck with a tractor protection valve package. There will be obvious remnants for a tractor application, including the bolt holes for the 5th wheel mount, possibly a TPV behind the cab at the lower rear cab wall, a tapered end of frame and an electrical plug somewhere near the rear of the cab. A cab and chassis shipped from the factory will also have an "incomplete vehicle" sticker in the door jamb near the other federal stickers. May be gone over the years, but it would have been there if shipped without a 5th wheel.