Has anyone here ever used a spray can to paint things on a truck or a cab?

I have a friend down the road from me that has a 83' or 82' IH straight truck , he wanted to touch up some paint but that didnt work out to well , so now he is thinking of repainting the cab and bed. Reason I ask is I have used a spay can on parts then a clear coat or two but ive never tried to paint anything that large with a can. What do you guys think? Bad idea or it might work out ok? Its a hobby truck also.

• Like 1

Biggest problem is as you deplete the product in the can, you loose atomization pressure at the spray cap. It is hard to paint complete large panels and them come out right due to this. Also the dry rate is not controlled and optimized for rapid flash.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

There is a couple of things wrong here -

1st. It is a really weak idea to think about painting a cab with a spray can. Period. Parts are one thing. An entire cab is another.

2nd. It is very bad manners to post a picture of someone's truck, and then to seriously insult the appearance. You all know better than this - let's quit while we are ahead here.

Paul Van Scott

When I'm playin around with my old MOPARS I always use can paint, I use the gloss black for the rad. an MOPAR sells the engine colors in spray cans but I don't think I would paint a fender or a whole car with a spray can... I have seen some stranger things in my day, like the guy In Newark NJ that was painting his ford Fairlane in his driveway with a spray gun!!

Ernie DS

There is a couple of things wrong here -

1st. It is a really weak idea to think about painting a cab with a spray can. Period. Parts are one thing. An entire cab is another.

2nd. It is very bad manners to post a picture of someone's truck, and then to seriously insult the appearance. You all know better than this - let's quit while we are ahead here.

Paul Van Scott

Shit, I can't quit laughing over this one Paul. I don't think the question was asked with malicious intent, nor a lot of thought put to the subject, but maybe it was in poor taste and you are correct. I thank you for your support and standing up for the hobby we all share.

Back to the original subject: I see the paint on the fenders is doing what is called "dye back". This is usually caused by laying on the coating thickness too heavy, too wet, painting with two coats instead of three, (for instance), or not enough flash time between the coats. I can't tell you how it was painted from the photos but it doesn't much matter as this type of paint failure can happen with any type application. It is started by solvent entrapment within the prior coat by the next coat. Sometimes you will see "pock marks", or "crow's feet" type paint failures which usually start from the same type of detriment. Other times the paint starts coming of the panel in sheets.

I've been to shows and seen both trucks and cars painted to a much lesser degree than what is possible but I admire them just the same. If I don't own it I don't have to be happy with it but hopefully the owner is. Still wouldn't be my place to voice a negative opinion of it no matter what I thought personally.

Ernie talks about seeing strange things and that reminds me of a pickup I painted in the front yard with "Momma", and the neighbor lady holding up drop lights while I painted the truck in the front yard at 10:30 pm with my gasoline powered air compressor running in the back of my truck! It turned out good too using "Farmall Red" from Tractor Supply Co. I had to scrape the paint off the windows next morning cause the solvent based paint soaked through the newspaper we had masked the truck up with. I finished up about 10:00 the next morning, and the purchaser picked up that stinkin piece of shit by noon! I have no idea how long the paint stayed on that truck but it was five different colors before we made it red.

Thanks for the laugh!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Gee golly I sure feal bad asking a honest question with no intent of putting down another guys truck by asking if a spray can was used. Damm you got me there. So by me posting a picture and asking if people thought a spray can was used means im putting him down? Why would a spray can being used on a truck be wrong , bad, or putting a truck down? Unless its your opinion of putting a truck down? To me its not, Id say you were in the wrong to think I was asking a question in a negitive way. The B61 in my opinion looks better than my truck, so thats why I asked if he used a spray can , if you were wondering.

Thanks for explaing it to me, I wasnt sure why the paint did that. I saw it in person and was a little curious but with noone around I couldnt ask.

Il be in the corner if you need me Rob..

I understood your question as you meant it from the front. Damn, I still can't quit chuckling over the reaction from Paul. I knew you meant no harm or foul when you posed the question, but I've taught people the skill of paint work for over 35 years and seen basically the same questions asked many times. How can one obtain a respectable answer if those trying to help you understand do not have a photo to look at? I think the party that owns that green B model would get a kick out of the question and not be insulted if they knew the basis and innocence of the inquiry.

You don't need to hide in a corner. All is well.

Carry on as usual.

Rob

Oh I know buddy, its a nice truck OtherDog can back me up on that. I havent seen a truck with paint that has "dye'd back " like that. Havent been in the hobby or painting as long as some of yall. Everyones good and I dont have any issues with anyone here so I hope were all good friends still.

Im going to talk my friend Glenn into buying a paint gun and we can spray the cab and bed with that. From what I hear here and a few other places ive looked its a bad idea to rattle can it.

Oh I know buddy, its a nice truck OtherDog can back me up on that. I havent seen a truck with paint that has "dye'd back " like that. Havent been in the hobby or painting as long as some of yall. Everyones good and I dont have any issues with anyone here so I hope were all good friends still.

Im going to talk my friend Glenn into buying a paint gun and we can spray the cab and bed with that. From what I hear here and a few other places ive looked its a bad idea to rattle can it.

It looks pretty clean and straight. If the owner is happy with it nobody else's opinion has any bearing. I kinda like it cause it's different.

You will be surprised what a $100.00 generic spray gun will do for you. You will also have it for the next job too. A 3hp Sears compressor is marginal to paint a car with but will do the job. I'd go with a five horse unit if you plan to run any air tools, and can stand the expense.

Get the amount of paint you will need plus a quart to learn with. Teach yourself to use the gun and familiarize yourself with the knobs and controls. I'ts not that difficult but takes practice.

Rob

OtherDog , if your reading this , did you see the green and black B61 at the ATHS show in July? It look like it was done with a can. Did you have a pic?

Edit, I found a couple pics, anyone else think it was done with a can ?

No Jay, I couldn't find one. It may have been gone by the time I got there or came in after I left- I feel sure i'd have taken a picture if i'd seen it.

I did have this picture from the 2010 show, but i'm not absolutely for sure positive without a doubt that it's the same truck. But I think it is.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

When I'm playin around with my old MOPARS I always use can paint, I use the gloss black for the rad. an MOPAR sells the engine colors in spray cans but I don't think I would paint a fender or a whole car with a spray can... I have seen some stranger things in my day, like the guy In Newark NJ that was painting his ford Fairlane in his driveway with a spray gun!!

Ernie DS

I painted a '71 F100 in my driveway with a brush and red implement paint. Put 2 coats on it, it may not have looked great but it looked way better than it did at first.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Talk about needing a paint job! We should donate a paint brush and a couple fo gallons of paint to this guy! Don't see how he can have this ugly mutt out in public!

I dont know whether to call it bandit or 'Mater....I think I would need a tetnus shot just to get close to it!...Should be the poster child for the anti "Keep our highways beautiful" campaign...

post-6773-0-66221200-1325254267_thumb.jppost-6773-0-46728900-1325254246_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Talk about needing a paint job! We should donate a paint brush and a couple fo gallons of paint to this guy! Don't see how he can have this ugly mutt out in public!

I dont know whether to call it bandit or 'Mater....I think I would need a tetnus shot just to get close to it!...Should be the poster child for the anti "Keep our highways beautiful" campaign...

post-6773-0-66221200-1325254267_thumb.jppost-6773-0-46728900-1325254246_thumb.jp

Well we all know I have no pride so I think I could be proud to own that. We should prolly go ahead and arrange the freight to my place. LOL.

Rob