Cannot find the right PTO for a 1070b Trans

Shmimc1973

Hello everyone. New to This forum, but have read many posts. Anyway, I have a 2000 Mack RD688 Dump Truck. 12 speed TRTXL-1070B Trans. This month I replaced the dump box, any all accerories, cylinder, pump, pto, etc. My old setup had had teh rear(botton mount mack pto with remote mount pump. Which I want direct mount( alot less worries). First Chelsea Sent me a 489 series pto. Wont fit since there is a bulge in the trnas. So they then sent me a 442 series with a 628 series Adapter gear to clear the transmission bulge. Well the problem is now, that with only 1 gasket, the gear adapter has about a 1/4" play in it( so much for getting the blacklash right). OK, then when I put the pto up to the gear adapter, using there spacer and 6 gaskets that are required, I dont have enough backlash. ( under the ercommended).

Problem #3, is since I spread rock in 2nd gear, the pump is not turned fast enough. takes minute and a half to raise. Way to slow. By the way I thought it said it was a 127% PTO. unless its in fifth gear, then it raises fine. But I dont spread rock at 50 MPH. Plus it seems to whine anything about idle in 3rd gear. What I am wondering, is if they9 Chealsea) know what there doing and also do they make a mack rear PTO that is direct drive?

Any info would be VERY helpful, Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I had problems finding a PTO for my trtxl1070 too I had to use the spacer/adapter also, the second pto I found was the right one the backlash was perfect and I think I had to use 6 gaskets also Ill try to find the paperwork its been several years but I might still have it here I remember it was a chelsea air shift and it went on the small 6 bolt adapter hole and had the chelsea adapter and parker pump, and the flow was 125% at 1500rpm as I recall it ran a dump trailer ok but it could have been faster I got it from Truck Pro in Nashvile TN 615-244-6333. Ill check back after I look for paperwork and see if you found it.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I don't think your gonna be happy with a side mount pto,your just not going to be able to raise the bed fast enough in the low gears to spread stone,I had both and the rear mount is much better in my opinion,I had to use forth or fifth gear to get my bed to raise at a decent rate with the side mount.

that was why mack built the rear mount PTO... so that you could spread and did not have to take the aux out of gear .you just turned the pto On then raised the box. the only thing I did like better with the side mount was that it did raise the box faster if you had light loads such as snow or broken concrete. just grab 4th and she went up fast. But as you said the rear mount gave you better overall options. just my .02

I cant find my paperwork from when I bought my pto sorry man keep trying the right combo is out there.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

If you could get me the part number of the unit you are looking for - chances are quite good that I will have the PTO. And, it very well could be a brand new unit directly from Mack.

I do,however, need a part number or at least a good picture before I can look through the units I do have.

Let me know,

Paul Van Scott