My First MACK!

JakeCheez

I just bought a Mack ch613 (2001) daycab.

I was driving it home from the dealership and the heat doesn't work. It blows good, but no heat. The engine temp never got above 160 (after 2hrs of driving).

I'm in Minneapolis and it was <30 degrees yesterday. That drive sucked. Any ideas, before I bring it to the dealer?

As mentioned there are probably gate, or ball valves in the cooling lines for the heater core shut off. Many do this in the summer so the air conditioner works better not fighting the heat from the engine coolant. You may also have cable, or blending door problems. I don't know on that series of truck how the HVAC system is operated but if not something as simple as a valve being closed, you should probably let the selling dealer into the mix for possible help with the repair(s) needed.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It was the shutoff valve. I'm so new to this stuff, i feel like an idiot- but how else do i learn? I appreciate the help, guys.

Now make sure your not leaking water inside or out. Just incase it was installed for that reason. But glad to hear it was a quick and easy fix and enjoy the Warm air

It was the shutoff valve. I'm so new to this stuff, i feel like an idiot- but how else do i learn? I appreciate the help, guys.

Glad to hear it is seemingly a simple fix. Feeling like an idiot is not that bad. I do it routinely; you get used to it. I also have perfected the art of looking stupid and I advise you don't try to emulate that.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I remember the days of driving cabovers and having to stop at night when it got cool, then jack the cab up to turn the water on going to the heater core. Had those round spigot valves like on your outside garden hose spigots, except you had to turn them forever to turn them on or off. Then the next day it would get hot, so you'd stop somewhere and jack the cab up and shut the water off again, or you could just feel the heat coming in, even with the heater off. Then I had a Freightliner with shut-off valves that you only had to turn a quarter turn, now you don't have to worry about it.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I remember the days of driving cabovers and having to stop at night when it got cool, then jack the cab up to turn the water on going to the heater core. Had those round spigot valves like on your outside garden hose spigots, except you had to turn them forever to turn them on or off. Then the next day it would get hot, so you'd stop somewhere and jack the cab up and shut the water off again, or you could just feel the heat coming in, even with the heater off. Then I had a Freightliner with shut-off valves that you only had to turn a quarter turn, now you don't have to worry about it.

heh,,,iremember driving an old ford cabover,,in the 70,s that heated sounded like a turbo vacuum cleaner down there,,,but it didnt throw any heat in for some reason,,but it sounded impressive.lol.bob

• 2 weeks later...

congrats on the new truck... The CH is a workhorse

those on off valves are rare on the new trucks but you will love them when its time to replace a heater hose, air compressor, or have to make a repair to the water system. keeps the water in the engine and you can just drain off the part of the system your working on.

When i bought my RS700L It was middle of Febuary and the heater motor was not working.I had to drive from KC to Chicago. I made it to The Iowa 80 and then just could not stand the cold anmore. I pulled in to the truck stop to buy some allagator clips so I could hot wire the blower motor. Man I wished I would have done that 4 hrs before LOL!!!! I could feel my toes again