Damned Monday:

Rob

Well today was not a good day with the "Trusty, yet Crusty" old Dodge making the "ultimate sacrifice" keeping me safe and protecting my honor.

I spent most of the weekend trenching and laying new water line for a dear friend and when I was returning the trencher this morning, a C7500 series Chevy roadside service truck hit the Dodge backing up not seeing me setting behind. This truck was heavy including the Autocrane and full complement of service gear contained within. I was not hurt but the Dodge was hit squarely in the left front wheel collapsing the suspension, bending the frame and wheel etc. The front end was shoved over nearly 3.5 feet on the pavement. Comes out the driver never even checked his mirrors before backing up at a rapid pace.

I'm quite certain given the age, condition, and mileage the outcome is not going to be good. Many years I have placed my "trust in the crust" bringing old trucks home and I will certainly miss this ole girl.

Gotta meet with their insurance adjuster tomorrow morning so this should be entertaining......

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob, Did you notice the QUINOX ad at the bottom of the page?

I've seen it but paid no attention.

I left the Dodge in the spot it was hit in. Not bothering anybody where it is sitting.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,........are you sure that it didn't hurt your neck, and need to go to the hospital tomorrow? Usually by the next day is the worst. You really don't look so good. You are lookin very white and faint. I'm sure momma will be glad to run you a hot bath and give it some attention later tonight. Sorry to hear crusty is bone yard material now.

mike

Shoot, glad to hear your okay Rob. Shame your truck was wrecked.

Thanks Thad, I got to get that truck either repaired, or replaced shortly as I'm already missing it! I am to meet with the appraiser this morning if he doesn't cancel again. I know him so shouldn't be too big of deal.

Rob

Met with the appraiser yesterday afternoon and he is going to work with me pretty fair on this deal. He knows the mechanical care the truck has received and how I've used/abused it the entire life cycle. I was looking close at it this afternoon and she is really punched in the lower cowl area which was getting rusty so gave way easily. It was prolly time for the truck to be rotated through but I wasn't quite ready to throw in the towel yet.

I may retain it for the driveline cause it really is in good shape. The V10 engine really pulls strong but is hard on fuel. Never got much over 10mpg empty.

Rob

Rob;

Glad you're not hurt too bad,sorry for your loss though. I always thought a two ton Dodge from the 40's or 50's would be cool with a V-10 and 5 speed. (Actually,the idea at first included a '51 GMC 2 ton I had a shot at for near nuthin.) I suspect the total weight would be close to the same,but you might need to add a Brownie w/overdrive to get decent road speed and mileage.

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Rob;

Glad you're not hurt too bad,sorry for your loss though. I always thought a two ton Dodge from the 40's or 50's would be cool with a V-10 and 5 speed. (Actually,the idea at first included a '51 GMC 2 ton I had a shot at for near nuthin.) I suspect the total weight would be close to the same,but you might need to add a Brownie w/overdrive to get decent road speed and mileage.

Speed

"Momma", (being the sentimental thing she is) really wants me to keep the old Dodge for parts. This in truth was the only new vehicle I'll ever have, (by choice) so I may wind up doing similar to your suggestion of ripping the drive out and installing into something else. It really did pull well for what it was but for my application a 4.56 rear would have been more fitting.

I don't think to many would fault me for installing the drivetrain into an older medium duty chassis, whatever it may be.

Rob

rob you could do a mack up with the v10 and trans after all mack did it back in the day puting dodge engines in the old trucks. it would be a prety reliable unit with the newer engine. at least you wouldnt have to worry about seting/sanding the points all the time. joe

Well, dragged the ole B61 out of the corner after unburying it to park in this spot. The photos show the truck staged, then on stands and leveled ready to be cut in half. Also have attached a shot of the air ride that will be grafted onto the frame stubs. This cutoff has burnt out front differential and I'm only using the rear. I have new bags, bushing kit, drums, and adjustment shims for setting the driveline angle once she is put together. As mentioned earlier I dropped the driveline off at the shop and just need to tell them what length I need. This should be a slip fit over the existing stub(s) and I'll allow about a 12" overlap of the frames which will be welded solid on the inside and outer surfaces. I'm thinking this should go pretty smooth.

I'll probably drive this one around for a while on the original engine which runs well. It will have 3.70 gears, brand new 10.00RX22 radial tires, and a double over triplex trans. It may not even want to pull itself but I'd like to get a few miles on it before changing to something with more power. This truck hasn't been driven since 1992 when the original "Unishift" transmission exploded itself which is how I purchased it in 1994. It hasn't been outside the building since early 2005.

Rob

post-78-0-40504500-1321827060_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-11088900-1321827142_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-91133500-1321827145_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-66369000-1321827149_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-36339400-1321827153_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-91980100-1321827365_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-07826500-1321827371_thumb.jpg

You wanna sell them brake spiders? What model rears are they? What diamter and width of brakes?

Thanks

Those brake spiders are for my B67. I just rebushed all of them after having the cams built up and turned to proper size. They are for the SWDL56 rears, 16" brakes if I remember correctly.

Sorry but I can't sell them as they will be used.

Rob

I Like you L-Tec machine! I have a giant Linde 400 amp ACDC unit in Houston, just needs a circuit board (runs wide open)!

I was really partial to Linde, L-Tec, Esab, (same company) until the representing dealer which was locally owned sold out to corporate structure. No more personal service as the old time employees were forced out and the prices immediately went up, and discounts went down.

I purchased that welder new in 89, the plasma in 96. Both have been 100% trouble free and have many hours upon them. I'm looking at a new tig machine but will probably go with Miller, or Lincoln. I tend to like Lincoln cause when you call them direct, they talk to you in a "No Shit" type conversation. Most of the technical support I've dealt with at Lincoln actually know their products.

Rob

Those brake spiders are for my B67. I just rebushed all of them after having the cams built up and turned to proper size. They are for the SWDL56 rears, 16" brakes if I remember correctly.

Sorry but I can't sell them as they will be used.

Rob

SWDL56...34,000 lb CRDLP 92 & 93 Interaxle only power divider Rubber trunnion bushing...(could not resist showing what little bit of tandem axle knowlege I have gained thanks to the Mack museum!)

SWDL56...34,000 lb CRDLP 92 & 93 Interaxle only power divider Rubber trunnion bushing...(could not resist showing what little bit of tandem axle knowlege I have gained thanks to the Mack museum!)

That be exactly right. I did get that service manual scanned in but cannot figger out how to interleave the pages. I had to do all the even, then all the odd numbered pages. The file(s) are almost 200M in size so will probably make them available to Barry for posting cause I'm either too lazy, or stupid to figger it out on my own.

Rob

Well today was not a good day with the "Trusty, yet Crusty" old Dodge making the "ultimate sacrifice" keeping me safe and protecting my honor.

I spent most of the weekend trenching and laying new water line for a dear friend and when I was returning the trencher this morning, a C7500 series Chevy roadside service truck hit the Dodge backing up not seeing me setting behind. This truck was heavy including the Autocrane and full complement of service gear contained within. I was not hurt but the Dodge was hit squarely in the left front wheel collapsing the suspension, bending the frame and wheel etc. The front end was shoved over nearly 3.5 feet on the pavement. Comes out the driver never even checked his mirrors before backing up at a rapid pace.

I'm quite certain given the age, condition, and mileage the outcome is not going to be good. Many years I have placed my "trust in the crust" bringing old trucks home and I will certainly miss this ole girl.

Gotta meet with their insurance adjuster tomorrow morning so this should be entertaining......

Rob

what a shitty deal,,,good luck with those greedy bastards...bob

Well, dragged the ole B61 out of the corner after unburying it to park in this spot. The photos show the truck staged, then on stands and leveled ready to be cut in half. Also have attached a shot of the air ride that will be grafted onto the frame stubs. This cutoff has burnt out front differential and I'm only using the rear. I have new bags, bushing kit, drums, and adjustment shims for setting the driveline angle once she is put together. As mentioned earlier I dropped the driveline off at the shop and just need to tell them what length I need. This should be a slip fit over the existing stub(s) and I'll allow about a 12" overlap of the frames which will be welded solid on the inside and outer surfaces. I'm thinking this should go pretty smooth.

I'll probably drive this one around for a while on the original engine which runs well. It will have 3.70 gears, brand new 10.00RX22 radial tires, and a double over triplex trans. It may not even want to pull itself but I'd like to get a few miles on it before changing to something with more power. This truck hasn't been driven since 1992 when the original "Unishift" transmission exploded itself which is how I purchased it in 1994. It hasn't been outside the building since early 2005.

Rob

I'll bet the ole Mack frame feels about the same as I did after "Momma" got done with her "Butcher Knife" on me.

Rob

post-78-0-54931600-1321921972_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-23794300-1321921976_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-29796000-1321921980_thumb.jpg