Thermodyne Injection Pump Stuck at Full Throttle, Any Ideas?

Armywrench

Hello again drivers, looking for advice on what to do for a thermodyne Injection pump thats stuck at full throttle. I just brought the truck home, and the gentleman that I bought it from said it had sat for a number of years before he got it running, but it was stuck at full throttle. He got the linkage free and it still has the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Alex

post-9731-0-14280000-1319923756_thumb.jp

take the injection pump off the engine, take the side cover off the side of the pump and let it soak in a tub of kerosene for a few weeks. then i usually take a big screwdrive and stick it in the springs in the side of the pump and wrap the screwdriver down with a hammer. usually you can get the plungers freed up and moving. i also made a tool to turn the injection pump to make sure they are all moving. after that reinstall the cover and pump and you should be good to go. usually bad fuel or water in the fuel caused the plungers to stick. Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Thank you guys, I will try and pull the pump tomorrow and get things soaking. If the pump is in this condition, is there any reason the injectors would have a problems from sitting? Alex

Not necessarily, Try the pump first, get it running and injectors will be another mattter later.

mike

When you get thru with the pump the rack has to be free of it will run away and kill you and all that looking at it. To check it remove the six bolts in the top of the gover cover and remove the cover.Get hold of the rack and move it in and out. On the other end of the pump there is a screw you can remeove and use a small screw driver and push on the end of the rack thru the screw hole. move back and forth with fuel in the pump yntill it moves free or your can die.

glenn akers

When you get thru with the pump the rack has to be free of it will run away and kill you and all that looking at it. To check it remove the six bolts in the top of the gover cover and remove the cover.Get hold of the rack and move it in and out. On the other end of the pump there is a screw you can remeove and use a small screw driver and push on the end of the rack thru the screw hole. move back and forth with fuel in the pump yntill it moves free or your can die.

Glenn means it when he speaks of this absolute necessary item to check.

mike

The truck i run now set for over 10 years and when i retired and started to use it the rack was stuck. Lucky it was only stuck some bit more than a idle. I replaced the batterys and fuel then satrted it. It slowly started to get faster. It was out side of shop and i one big hurry i ran in side and got a wrench and pulled the fuel line off as it was turning more than it should turn.it wa stuck and i freed it up for a few months it was ok. But in the end it had to come off and go to the pump shop.

glenn akers

• 2 weeks later...

I've had four trucks with stuck racks from sitting. I always remove the pump and side cover(s), governor cover, and front end rack cover, (if present) and delivery valves, then submerge the complete pump in clean diesel fuel. After a coupld days of dwell time in the fuel. I then pop the rack, and plunger springs with a small hammer and screwdriver. I've never had to take a pump further apart than this to free them up. Only critical tip I can give you is use clean fuel, and container. You don't want any garbage left inside the pump when you put it back on the engine to foul the injectors.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.