Havin a hell of a time:

Rob

I can't shift this new RTO-14613 for shit most times. The shift handle seems to be difficult to pull out of gear and the effort it takes causes me to clash into the next higher gear. The tranny shifts a little easier when it gets warm but cold, it is damned near impossible to shift smoothly. Sometimes I think I'm gonna tear a tooth off a gear cause it drops in so suddenly. If I pull an upshift at about 1550-1600 all is fine. Much higher in rpm and it seems to want to be difficult to pull out of gear. All three of my RTO-12513 series trannys have shifted very smooth but this is the only brand new unit I've ever had so it may just need to wear in a little.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I can't shift this new RTO-14613 for shit most times. The shift handle seems to be difficult to pull out of gear and the effort it takes causes me to clash into the next higher gear. The tranny shifts a little easier when it gets warm but cold, it is damned near impossible to shift smoothly. Sometimes I think I'm gonna tear a tooth off a gear cause it drops in so suddenly. If I pull an upshift at about 1550-1600 all is fine. Much higher in rpm and it seems to want to be difficult to pull out of gear. All three of my RTO-12513 series trannys have shifted very smooth but this is the only brand new unit I've ever had so it may just need to wear in a little.

rob,

Does the trans have a PTO, an if it does, is it shimmed to the trans. correctly?

Rob

Hi Ernie, it does have a PTO and I shimmed it to .009 backlash. I may pull it off and run around a bit to ensure something with it is not amiss.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Lemme borry it and put in dirt pile 2 or 3 days. Ifn its tight now, it wont be after I abuse it a while. I broke a tooth off one just plain cussin at it, didnt lay a hand on it. I know what you mean bout hard to come out and then clash with next gear, thas where I really get sumotransfermoloaggravationalisticly mad. Hang with it Rob,,,,randyp :tease:

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll get on this next week early as I don't want to destroy anything. I could shim it out another .003 if the pto is "winding up" causing the internal driven gear to "load" the driving gear in the transmission. The tolerance is .006-.012 backlash. I did this prior to really torquing the retaining nuts down crushing the gasket(s) further. Maybe I'll pull the shift cover off tonight and check backlash again.

Rob

Rob only way the pto would bind the shift clutch is if the pto was under load. Two things come to mind. All make engine are not made freindly. I mean some will if you tach it against the governor will defuel some more than it should causing a efect of you backing out too quick and it hangs the shift with back pressure. I have one pump that is that way. I will change it out soon cause it is jacking off again.Some pumps are like driving a cummins and you can back out of it smoothly and get away from the back pressure on the shift.Another thing is the poppet springs can be too heavy.Play with them and grind a half of a coil off. Or lift the shifter and remove the spring on the rail that is a problem and go drive it with out the spring. Dont drop your balls inside.

glenn akers