Possible 51 LJT purchase.

Been lurking around and learning alot. Now I am going to look at a 51 LJT Saturday and was wondering if there is anything special to look out for? I know the basics such as rust and hack job repairs but are there any other issues that I should be aware of? I am mechanicaly oriented but this is my first venture into the rig market. The truck in question runs but needs the rear brakes redone (pancake), new batteries possibly, and a couple of tires. I talked to the 2nd owners son and he stated that it was a diesel and he thought a quad box. The chasis number is LJT1D11335D if that helps.

cant think of anything you dont already know,,,look for oil smoke,,water in oil,listen for unusual grinding in driveline,,,if your going to be paying big money,,,if your only talking a couple G,s then you cant be too picky.lol.good tires,and battery,s sure helps...they can be expensive,specialy 10 wheels...good luck.bob

Well she is mine now. I dropped the downpayment and go pick her up in two weeks. I am currently working on the transportaion end of things. I don't feel like driving 300 miles just to turn around and drive back 15o miles to get the truck, then making the return trip just because I borrowed my dads trailer. Got a line on a nice Ferree trailer for cheap but I will need to convert the air/hydraulic to electric hydraulic. Going to check that tomorrow. I regret selling my old trailer now but it would have been seriously overloaded. Once I get the Mack home I will see about putting up a few pics.

Musta been easy to post on ATHS then???

Was over there for the first time in more than a year to check the post(s) concerning PeterJ whom is a very nice guy and supporter of the hobby.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yup, I was at work at the time and figured out how to do it over there. Never posted pics before that. I have a few more pics from the add but the quality isnt as good. I Got to figure it out for this board and then I will get it up on here. Hopefully I don't need a online photo account here as I don't have one. Why are computers such a pain in the a@@ when they are supposed to make life easier?

Edited by burnin oil

Thanks Andy. I may take you up on that offer. I have been busy the last few days and havn't had a chance to play with the pics. I have been getting the new to trailer ready to pick the truck up. All new brakes and redoing the wiring right now while trying to beat the rain. Still waiting on the tags in the mail. Eithere way the truck will be home soon.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks great. Congratulations! How about some specs. Is that 12.00x24 rubber? I like the winch. I have an LFT with a Lanova which is being rebuilt. It has been in the shop for a year now and I don't know when the mechanic will have it done. I am getting anxious.

Mike

10x22 rubber. Lanova (I think), TR-150 main with a 8031 aux trans, 6.67 rear gear. The winch is a appleton but I don't know anything about it.

So far I fixed an oil leak on the rear and changed the lube in both transmissions and axle. Still screwing around with trying to get the electrical working. I will probably just hook up a temp start button for now just to get the truck mobile. Once I get that done I need to change the motor oil and antifreeze. From there I will probably redo the rear brakes, rewire the truck then start in on body work. I want it to be a runner so that I can start going to shows as I restore the old girl. The motor seemed to run pretty good when I went to look at it.