Another Ebay One, 85' Ultraliner ( Mack Assy. Plant Truck)

the ad sez it has a 2090 mack transmission, which has the splitter, although mine has an air splitter, and that one doesn't seem to, although that might be necessary because of the cab tilting.

i would love that truck, but i would be worried about owning something like that, because of the history behind it . . . . . the pressure to preserve it, even just in my head, would be substantial . . . . .

Sorry my mistake. I missed the red button on the side. There are four (4) air lines which I think means the red button is/was functional. Perhaps the original build had a 13 or 18 speed installed. Mack used their company trucks for testing. I will have the dealer pull-up the build specs.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

The system says it was built with an EM6-300, T2060 Mack 6 speed transmission, 5.32 ratio Mack CRDLP 92/92 rear axles.

The 4V engine was just going into production in 1985 (if I remember correctly). If this is indeed a 4V engine, it could be an experimental engine. My guess is Mack was doing some component evaluations and changed the transmission (and other things) a time or two. Also, isn't a T2090 an overdrive? The listing states "direct". I found another shift pattern for the T2090 in the MH manual and it shows an overdrive ratio.

T2090.pdf

Ken

The 4V engine was just going into production in 1985 (if I remember correctly). If this is indeed a 4V engine, it could be an experimental engine. My guess is Mack was doing some component evaluations and changed the transmission (and other things) a time or two. Also, isn't a T2090 an overdrive? The listing states "direct". I found another shift pattern for the T2090 in the MH manual and it shows an overdrive ratio.

i had a 350 2 valve,,i realy liked it,,dont know anything about the 4 valve,,but i think they wont have trouble getting 6 G,s for that one,,after checkin some prices in truck paper for 20-25 yr old trucks,geeeeesssuss,,,couldnt believe some of the high prices..bob

I talked to a friend that retired from the Mack Engineering Center. Here is what he had to say about these "interplant" trucks...All the trucks in the Interplant Fleet had frequent powertrain changes. That was one of the primary justifications for the fleet; it allowed in-house "field testing" of powertrain and chassis components. As new products were developed, they were installed in these trucks for in-service performance, durability, oil consumption, and fuel economy.

It would be nice to have this truck because of its history.

The rear tires look like new and matched. Even the paint on the rims look new. Perhaps the ones in the picture do not go with the truck. If that is the case, the seller should mention that in the listing. Maybe he means "needs front tires"?

• Like 1

Ken

The bid this morning was $38xx and the listing removed. My guess is "someone made an offer the seller could not refuse." Auction was scheduled to end on Tuesday evening. I hope it stays in the USA and is restored to its old glory. Maybe it will show up at Gerhart's.

Ken