Mack Relative -1982 Hahn

Firemack

I added a 1982 Hahn fire truck to the collection, It's not a Mack, but since Hahn made the Mack Firetruck bodies for a few years it is a close relative. This was the first new fire truck after I joined the Radnor Fire Company in 1981. I was on the spec committee and ordered the 8V71 natural with a Fuller road ranger 5 speed. I fought fires with this truck and felt it deserved to come back home.

It still runs and pumps like a top, and doesn't look too bad from 5 feet, but will need a little TLC to get it back in shape. And it sounds great, I will have to add a Utube running through the gears.

Anyone know if there is a way to convert the Fuller Roadranger from a 5 speed to a 10 speed? I drove both and would like to make this a 10 speed if it is not too much work.

Hopefully will have this ready to pump next year in the Harrisburg,PA Pump Primers Muster

Firemack

post-121-0-85662500-1312944373_thumb.jpg

post-121-0-75207900-1312944374_thumb.jpg

post-121-0-94883500-1312944383_thumb.jpg

post-121-0-18667400-1312944389_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks Nice, John ! Congratulations. It's always great when someone can see, feel, touch & drive a truck they "cut their teeth on". It's even better when they can OWN it !! BTW, ask Sam Y. about the conversion, or see Malden Miller from Manchester, MD. He'll probably be at Wheaton Village on 8/20.

Edited by Radicalron

John,

Great looking rig. Any of the usual rot/rust problems those Hahns were known for? Are you going to put her back in her original markings?

I cannot imagine that you would ever get in low range with a 10 speed given the torque of the 8-71 and the light weight of the rig. I drove a 2500 gallon C cab Ford with a 3208 Cat and a 10 speed Road Ranger that managed to get by in high range unless it was loaded. Nowhere near the torque and probably heavier since it was a tandem. We also had a rescue with the same chassis and the only time you needed the low range was when you wanted to impress someone with your driving prowess or to start on a hill.

It's not quite the same, but you might consider putting a two speed rear in it if you are adamant about wanting more to do while you are driving it.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Carl,

It does have the typical rusty front fenders, I already called York Corrguted to get new ones made, and that should be the biggest problem, the rest of the truck is still the same as when it left Radnor as it had just been painted and restriped before the 2nd Fire company bought it. It was hit by 13K volt line and was totally repainted shortly before we sold it, so all I need to do is re letter and fix the maltese cross.

I drove many 10 speed roadrangers with the 8V71 in multiple single and tandem axle International Transtar tractors hauling 27' singles and doubles, and never really noticed any issues using low range- either loaded or unloaded, maybe the tare on the tractor and empty trailers was more than the weight of the Hahn, but think if it is an easy conversion, I will do it. I was told it is easy, but need the specifics from someone with roadranger background.

Firemack

The low range is not the issue; I'm just not sure its worth doing the conversion when you will never really need the extra gears. And it will probably put off a lot of potential buyers if and when you ever decide to sell it.

When I was on the job it was just a pia to keep shifting the damn things so they would keep moving down the road. It might be fun now, but between looking out for all the crazies trying to outrun us and figuring out where we were going a 10 speed was not a fire truck drivers friend. I guess that's why we went to the "stand on it and steer" trannies aka automatics.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

John,

Congratulations on the Hahn, I agree it is almost as good as a mack. Heres my theory when it comes to fire trucks. If the rig is from a department we are members of then it does not matter what make it is. It is just nice to know we are preserving a piece of history from our department that includes many memories. Look forwrd to seeing it.

Albert,

Radnor had 1948, 1951, 1954 L Macks and the 1954 B Mack. Since 3 Radnor firefighters started Hale pump , we went with Hahn as they used Hale pumps, when Mack switched to Waterous around 1960. Radnor went with the Autocar chassis and Hahn body in 1966. It was then followed by 1969, 1970, 1982 and 1988 Hahns. One anamoly was in 1973 when we had one saleman stuff us with an Imperial with a Waterous Pump with Hale controls, what a disaster and a rustbucket, so it was replaced out of order by the 1982 Hahn I just bought.

This Hahn was by far the best of the bunch and is a really good running and pumping truck, so I am looking forward to pumping at Harrisburg next year. Maybe I can start my own substation!

Firemack

John,

So where are you going to keep the Hahn? It the MH won't fit in your driveway this won't either. If you are starting a substation you will need a fire house. I like Hahn's because of the Made In PA. My 1964 Hahn is on an Autocar Chassis made in Exton with the Hale pump made in Conshohocken. It had the Waukashaw replaced with a 6-71 Detroit and had air axles put under it so not much Autocar left, just some frame rails. Are you coming to Mack day with the MH? I'll be hauling the H613 out. I will probably also bring the 1925 AC pumper I bought last month.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I have the MH all set up and the trailer is ready to go. I will pick up the Hahn in MD with the MH and trailer on Friday and then load up the B75 on Saturday and haul it down to Millville NJ for the Wheaton Village Muster on Sunday. I had both the MH and trailer PA inspected and renewed my CDL so I am trying to avoid any problems with inspections etc. I am looking forward to seeing your Bulldog Mack!

The Mack MH 612 made it's first haul today to pick up the Hahn in Maryland, The only problem I had was the Hahn was so much heavier than the B75 Pumper that it broke a deck board, so had a quick trip to Home depot and got that fixed and made it back to the firehouse by 6pm. Off loaded the Hahn and had a bunch of towns people stop by to see it already and guys from the firehouse love the truck.

Firemack

post-121-0-55031100-1313893746_thumb.jpg

post-121-0-15677400-1313893869_thumb.jpg

I bought the AC at an auction in Pottstown PA. It was restored in the 70's for the bicentenial and has been owned by the same people(father and son). The father passed away over 10 years ago and the son is planning on selling the building where it was stored. I had worked for them when I was in High School and rode on the truck in the local July 4th parade. It had served Steelton PA and is pictured in Harvey Eckert's book at the muster in Harrisburg.

• 3 weeks later...

Carl,

We ended up getting a series of heavy thunderstorms and hail that hit our area , so I made it over the bridge in NJ but started to rain and made a choice to turn around and got back before they hit, we then had a lighting stike start a house fire, so had a working house fire (with help from our neighboring companies) for the afternoon for entertainment. Sorry I did not make it and also understand it never rained there. Well stranger things have happened. I am sure I would have had the wet ass award for the day if I had made it to the show.

I am hoping to get the MH painted before the end of the season, but depends on if the shop can work it in.

Firemack

I don't know if they are on the trucks. I will look when I get home. I am in Dublin right now. If not, there is probably one on the B85 tractor from Lowell or one of the spare 707's.

yarnall:

Is that "B" model tractor from Lowell, MA Fire Dep't? Back in the '70s their Ladder 4 had a "B" model tractor.

bulldogboy

Yes it is the tractor from ladder 4. The motor is bad. I would like to sell it because it is taking up a bay in my garage. If you are interested I could email you pictures. I just got home last night from vacation so I have not had time to look for fuel pumps. '

Mike