Robs Radar Park #2

41chevy

Since I got a forced 2 weeks off becuase of the economy , we went back to Camp Hero to see more of "Robs Radar". Got a tour of the inside of the tower and the array (it's steel!). I definatly need one to grill on.....:) Heres some pics the last 2 are photos of photos, I took over 60 more. I joined the volenteer group to help set it up as a museum, mainly so I can crawl all over it. Paul

lrg-302-montauk10.jpg

lrg-298-montauk4.jpg

lrg-304-montauk5.jpg

lrg-318-montauk18.jpg

lrg-311-montauk20.jpg

04presentationTN.jpg

04opsTN.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

boy,,looks like someone helped themselves,,sorry bout your involuntary vacation,,,too bad polititions dont need to do that,,would save us some good money.bob

I took 1/2 as vacation so only lost 1 weeks pay.....

Most of the pieces from the the cabinets was used in the Nike Ajax or Nike Hercules sites that were all over Long Island or scrapped as being obsolete. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Pretty standard in layout of radar stations. Some of that stuff looks very similar to what I work with daily. I like the "cable chases" in the ceiling. Very standard military style layout.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I took 1/2 as vacation so only lost 1 weeks pay.....

Most of the pieces from the the cabinets was used in the Nike Ajax or Nike Hercules sites that were all over Long Island or scrapped as being obsolete. Paul

oh ok,,well then i guess we can live with that,,my company fedex freight is doing some really funky stuff rite now,trying to save a buck,but seems thier just tripping over the buck to pick up penny,s

I'm gonna turn this picture over.

It was the other way cuz the radar dogs were in a tall row not a flat row. those are the frikazee moniters :whistling:

P.T.CHESHIRE

I noticed it appears the floor tiles being removed. Back in the days of this facility's operation, they were asbestos containing materials most likely manufactured by Johns-Manville corp. They are being removed everywhere right now.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I noticed it appears the floor tiles being removed. Back in the days of this facility's operation, they were asbestos containing materials most likely manufactured by Johns-Manville corp. They are being removed everywhere right now.

Rob

ya,,people nownays,,like to waste time on unnessesary.BS.then replace them with more poison china products lol just my oppinion.bob

Rob

The pipe and duct insulation, ceiling tiles, floor tiles and the concrete /asbestos shingles on the base buildings. Media blasting all the concrete and sealing it to encapsulate the asbestos fibers added to increase the strength. Surprised no ones mentioned the lead based solder in the remaining equipment or plumbing We worry about that and then fill up on smokes and micky dees.........go figure.

P.T.CHESHIRE

At least its not fully gutted. The old rail substations in the city were ransacked because they were chock full of copper.

I bet there is still some really neat stuff in there. Id like a look at the waveguides and klystrons.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Doubt there is a klystron left in the place. That is the most expensive part of the system. Lots of precious metal inside, hence the expense.

Rob

klystron? I got a shoe box full off that, can't give it away.

You're thinking "Cling Ons" in your shoebox. Most think that hobby is gross and I can't understand why you would collect such a thing.

Rob

You're thinking "Cling Ons" in your shoebox. Most think that hobby is gross and I can't understand why you would collect such a thing.

Rob

actually, I have no idea what klyston or cling ons are, but I do have a shoe box with old baseball cards from the '60's.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

A "klystron" is a very stable with a high gain power amplifyer used in the microwave regions of the RF spectrum. This is why they roast hot dogs so well and quick. They are also pretty good at illuminatiing targets at great range

"Cling ons" can be avoided by keeping your asshole hairs trimmed short.

Rob

A "klystron" is a very stable with a high gain power amplifyer used in the microwave regions of the RF spectrum. This is why they roast hot dogs so well and quick. They are also pretty good at illuminatiing targets at great range

"Cling ons" can be avoided by keeping your asshole hairs trimmed short.

Rob

oh...so those guys cooking hot dogs on fishing poles might be a little too close to that dish and end up cooking themselves.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

oh...so those guys cooking hot dogs on fishing poles might be a little too close to that dish and end up cooking themselves.

They would be reletively safe if they were to remain behind the sail and dangling thier dogs from a line in front of it. The sail actually forms the transmission beam trajectory and is optimized for it's radiation pattern. This is also optimized for high selectivity on the reception side.

Have you discarded the contents of the shoe box now knowing what you've been collecting all these years?

Rob

oh ok,,well then i guess we can live with that,,my company fedex freight is doing some really funky stuff rite now,trying to save a buck,but seems thier just tripping over the buck to pick up penny,s

Not to change the subject or anything Bob but I used to work at Fed Ex Freight in Boise for awhile before coming home to Montana. I still have a lot of friends that work there and I am hearing the same kinda dumb moves that you are talking about.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

actually, I have no idea what klyston or cling ons are, but I do have a shoe box with old baseball cards from the '60's.

well it sounded impressive,(rob)and made you look smart,,,i put all my expensive baseball cards,in my bycycle spokes,,was before i knew they were worth money.lol.they sounded real good.bob

Not to change the subject or anything Bob but I used to work at Fed Ex Freight in Boise for awhile before coming home to Montana. I still have a lot of friends that work there and I am hearing the same kinda dumb moves that you are talking about.

oh,,hell well i dont have to tell you anything,then,,wow thats a small world,,i used to laydown there all the time on the system board,till i got forced on a sacramento shuttle bid...company still pays good and good benefits,,but thats about all i can say,,im on disability rite now,,and i found out my checks,are alott higher that other company,s.disability...,used to get to go to butte,missoula,and great falls.on system board..there was a girl there in boise,i heard tranfered out,then they cut the bid she tranfered for..boy aint that a bitch.bob

I just wonder if this radar spotted any UFO's during it's day. Truman was big in UFO crap.

mike

Some legends with Camp Hero are: active HAARP units, our involvement in time travel ,the "Philadelphia" experiment, Reptile men and a UFO base. People sure have wild imaginations.

Everything of value was removed in the 1980's including the array motors and such. Some vandals hit the housing area in the 90's but it is at the end of the island (less than 500 yds from the Atlantic ocean) and only 1 road in for 25 miles

P.T.CHESHIRE