Spin On Oil Filter

ejensen21

Hey guys i want to put a spin on oil filters on my end711. it has the oil cooler and the big can filter with the two 1 inch lines and small 1/2 line whats involved with it ? do i half to change a spring in the oil pump ? i just rebuilt the engine in.

Nope, pretty easy change out once you get the right set up. I put a spin on set up on my 673 last winter and it's nice!!!

Only issue I had was I had to remove the block heater as it was in the way of the filter casting. Not a big deal, just a small hurdle. Barry sent me a new freeze plug and I was in like Flynn, cause I don't need a block heater anymore anyway. Didn't have to change anything with oil pump. Note, mine does not have oil cooler or piston coolers.

Phil at Global truck traders contacted me and set me up. Parts showed up all nice and clean already. He goes by "counterman6" here on BMT.

SDC10855.jpg

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, pretty easy change out once you get the right set up. I put a spin on set up on my 673 last winter and it's nice!!!

Only issue I had was I had to remove the block heater as it was in the way of the filter casting. Not a big deal, just a small hurdle. Barry sent me a new freeze plug and I was in like Flynn, cause I don't need a block heater anymore anyway. Didn't have to change anything with oil pump. Note, mine does not have oil cooler or piston coolers.

Phil at Global truck traders contacted me and set me up. Parts showed up all nice and clean already. He goes by "counterman6" here on BMT.

SDC10855.jpg

was wondering what that cost you,,,i will probably be changing mine eventually,,thanks bob

Actually getting one WITH the oil cooler will be easier as I think that was more popular then mine. If you note the copper colored pipe in the picture, that is where the oil cooler would have been. Mine had the three lines also. You remove that block from the engine and bolt the spin on housing instead.

Check with Phil.

Larry

I tried puttin the spin on filters from a 237 on my 711 and the block bolted up but didnt have the same amount of holes drilled in the block for the oil passages. i think the 237 had 5 holes and the 711 only had 4. i just put the lubrifiner back on as i didnt want to hurt anything by not having oil run back to where it is suppose to. i think if you find a spin on bracket off an older motor tho you should be fine, just make sure you have the same amount of holes in the block as the engine you remove it to and i think like Larry said, make sure you have the right gasket for it as i think Mack made a few different gaskets and some might block off an oil passage. thanks, Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

My block:

SDC10807.jpg M

That extra hole in your 237 was likely piston coolers. It takes a small portion of the oil and squirts it at the bottom of the piston to keep them cooler while under boost conditions.

Bottom hole was from pump, top hole was into oil galleys, two side holes were relief/drains.

I looked through my Mack motor book and researched everything before diving in. The old stuff is pretty easy to fix up, not too sure about the newer engines.

Larry

My block:

SDC10807.jpg M

That extra hole in your 237 was likely piston coolers. It takes a small portion of the oil and squirts it at the bottom of the piston to keep them cooler while under boost conditions.

Bottom hole was from pump, top hole was into oil galleys, two side holes were relief/drains.

I looked through my Mack motor book and researched everything before diving in. The old stuff is pretty easy to fix up, not too sure about the newer engines.

Larry i am going to correct you on the exsplanion of the oil holes. I know at one time you had it right but the center big hole comes direct up from the oil pump to the mount block. The two side holes go back from the oil filter to the oil galley just above the main brgs. The lower hole is the return from the by/pass filter part of the filter canster back to the sump.It will no longer be used with the screw on set up.The valve that is in th screw on head is only a filrer by/pass valve and it goes back to the two oil galley holes in the block.

glenn akers