Math Question

tyrant

Conditions:

A backhoe weighing 22 tons is on top of a lowboy trailer and heading east on Interstate 70 near Hays, Kansas. The extended shovel arm is made of hardened refined steel and the approaching overpass is made of commercial-grade concrete, reinforced with one-inch steel rebar spaced at six-inch intervals in a criss-cross pattern layered at one-foot vertical spacing.

Solve:

When the shovel arm hits the overpass, how fast do you have to be going to slice the bridge in half ? (Assume no effect for headwind and no braking by the driver.)

Extra Credit: Solve for the time and distance required for the entire rig to come to a complete stop after hitting the overpass at the speed calculated above. Yes, you can neglect friction.

I couldn't solve it either, but who cares? The pictures are great! Oh, yeah, the driver was on his cell phone.

1vv.bmp

2vvv.bmp

3vvv.bmp

Pity, it was a nice bridge... I'm glad I wasn't travelling on top of it - imagine a large steely claw ripping through the asphalt right in front of you... Creepy! Have a nice day

Paweł

i hadnt thought of that,,,thats messed up,,,nice to hear from ya.bob

Someone's insurance dropped them after that claim! For more fun go to Google earth, then to Conrad, Mt then go to street view on I-15 and look at the John Deere air drill stuck under an underpass.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

This pics been around for a few. When I was still at Landstar Every year at the Heavy Haul meeting this was brought up along with the threat of instant termination. Only thing I can figure is he didn't have a triaxle tractor and to get the weight right he had to load counter weight and final drives to the back I've loaded a few like this and layed the boom over the neck. but once you pick the trailer up. Common sense esp if anything is taller then the stacks you measure the damn load.Guess we all have our blonde moments