Is It Water Pump Time?

hatcity

Have a "metallic" sound coming from front of engine (2001 E-7 427) Have no other symptoms such as leaking, temp. variations.

Can only listen for it but not putting hands ears near to feel. Doesn't sound like belt squeal either. Any other options?

looks like a pretty straight forward change. Plan on replacing belt at the same time. Any thing else?

Thanks, Ed

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Check the belt tensioner and make sure the belt isn't tracking off of the roller. The mark on the roller shouldn't be much wider than the width of the belt. Might check the alternator and make sure nothings getting into the fan on it.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

pull your belts and run it some.

[/quote}

I'd be doing this first! nail it down first! A Metallic sound ???? Is It a churp or a scraping a rattle?

Bad lifter will make a Metallic chirping sound. Fan hub or water pump is possible. Take the belts off! and run it as Glen stated

Appreciate the advice. Will have to check all these areas Sunday, as I have work scheduled thru Sat.

The "metallic" sound is like metal grinding.

First though, I have to disconnect the air line to the fan. Broke today. I can just bend it over and put a cable tie on it. Fan has always run continuous. No problem here in 90 degrees.

Again, thanks. Ed

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE- Not having a Snap-On brand $300 special tool for this, my son helped me with it. He has smaller hands that were able to get a ratchet in there. Released tension and spun different pulleys. Changed belt as we were able to reach in.

SOUND IS GONE. Thanks all for different ideas. Now I can return the water pump, git ma money back.

I've always used a standard flex handle ratchet on the E-Techs except for those in mixers. For the ASET AC and for mixers I use a ratcheting box wrench slid over the bit on a stubby 8mm Allen socket. It's just short enough to get in between the radiator shroud and the tensioner. The MP engines are a different story altogether...

• Like 1

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I've always used a standard flex handle ratchet on the E-Techs except for those in mixers. For the ASET AC and for mixers I use a ratcheting box wrench slid over the bit on a stubby 8mm Allen socket. It's just short enough to get in between the radiator shroud and the tensioner. The MP engines are a different story altogether...

Thas the kinda handy info I like! randyp

Thas the kinda handy info I like! randyp

I heard that randyp. I always try and hold my mouth right, it seems to help me with about everything I do. And if I get something that is really difficult, I have to use my tongue and squint my eyes. Hey Hey, when I know no one is present, i'll sometimes say words I haven't never heard before. ta hee

mike