59' Mack B61 Starter

What is the voltage on a 59' Mack Thermodyne B61?

if theres a switch under the seat its 24v. Its called the series paralell switch. A lot of guys eliminate them and covert to 12v. There are no headaches when you convert. If there is no switch under the seat then someone did you a favor and converted the truck to 12v.

if theres a switch under the seat its 24v. Its called the series paralell switch. A lot of guys eliminate them and covert to 12v. There are no headaches when you convert. If there is no switch under the seat then someone did you a favor and converted the truck to 12v.

Amen and Amen on that one. I was not one of the lucky ones. The truck I bought had a bad switch and had to jump the poles with a big screwdriver to start it. Put a new switch on and almost caused a fire. Smoke was coming from inside the cab. Then had to get some wiring done and another new parallel switch. Just a little over $800.00 bucks worth.

Note To Self, Buy your switch from a starter and generator shop, they will at least exchange it for yours.

mike

mike

I'm assuming the switch is easy to spot. Its not hidden? I'm looking right now and don't see anything.

Just as 220 cummins said. It is inside of a rectangle box, which have hood latches, one in front and one in back of the box. If you cannot find it then trace your battery cables toward under the cab. Some switch covers are missing on trucks thru the years. Hope this picture helps.

mike

post-900-0-05749000-1302916341_thumb.jpg

I'm in the minority but I like the higher voltage starting circuits. If I had my druthers, all motor vehicles would have 48VDC electical systems. Parts could be smaller to deliver the same performance and this is still low potential so it's not really dangerous to work around.

Put a 42MT series starter on the truck and run 2/0 battery starting cables and you will be set. Dual group 31 series batteries provide enough cranking amperage to get the job done.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'm in the minority but I like the higher voltage starting circuits. If I had my druthers, all motor vehicles would have 48VDC electical systems. Parts could be smaller to deliver the same performance and this is still low potential so it's not really dangerous to work around.

Put a 42MT series starter on the truck and run 2/0 battery starting cables and you will be set. Dual group 31 series batteries provide enough cranking amperage to get the job done.

Rob

If i had my druthers trucks would be wired with 440 and inside of conduit piping.Wonder how many knife blades would be burnt off.Or drivers denutted.

glenn akers

If i had my druthers trucks would be wired with 440 and inside of conduit piping.Wonder how many knife blades would be burnt off.Or drivers denutted.

If you put 440 VAC against a guys testicles they don't even bleed when they explode and come apart.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If I recall, either 440 or 480 will break bones and can grab ya if too near.

mike

Yes it will freeze muscles into spasms almost immediately. It is not bad to work around however. Proper safety precautions need looked into prior to reaching in. Several of the equipments I work with use this, and much higher potential for operation.

Above 50 VAC, or DC is capable of jumping a "gap" between conductors. This is why anything greater than 48 volts will be prohibited in automobiles.

Rob

Yes it will freeze muscles into spasms almost immediately. It is not bad to work around however. Proper safety precautions need looked into prior to reaching in. Several of the equipments I work with use this, and much higher potential for operation.

Above 50 VAC, or DC is capable of jumping a "gap" between conductors. This is why anything greater than 48 volts will be prohibited in automobiles.

Rob

Yes Rob, our Chiller runs off the big power of 480 volts. It sure can get your attention when it comes on. I downloaded pictures of the chiller and air handlers at the building for ya 2 years ago, but never until now had a reason to show you. Oh yea and also the Cummins 50KW Generator with Turbo....Made In Brazil.

I'll have to look for the photo's thinking my g/f has them in her computor. :unsure:

mike

Here is that picture of the Cummins generator at work.

mike

M-11 series Cummins. A pretty good and stable platform to operate with. Must be an older set as since the acquisition by Cummins of D.W. Onan company, all gensets have been painted Onan green.

Rob

M-11 series Cummins. A pretty good and stable platform to operate with. Must be an older set as since the acquisition by Cummins of D.W. Onan company, all gensets have been painted Onan green.

Rob

This unit was installed in the basement in 1985, so it may be a 1984 Cummins. The building was constructed in January 1985 and moved office furniture in by March 1985. I was running it each wednesday for several years but since the economy has gone sour ya know the answer. It has an hour meter but I have forgotten what it is. I do know, it has very little hours on it. I had the underground tank filled last year and they sent out one of their genious workers and he over ran the tank and it caused an overflow inside of the building and fuel was running down the hall. Man did I have a mess to clean up. Ya have to stand and watch every move someone makes today. I probably will be gone before it needs filling again. :wacko:

mike

This unit was installed in the basement in 1985, so it may be a 1984 Cummins. The building was constructed in January 1985 and moved office furniture in by March 1985. I was running it each wednesday for several years but since the economy has gone sour ya know the answer. It has an hour meter but I have forgotten what it is. I do know, it has very little hours on it. I had the underground tank filled last year and they sent out one of their genious workers and he over ran the tank and it caused an overflow inside of the building and fuel was running down the hall. Man did I have a mess to clean up. Ya have to stand and watch every move someone makes today. I probably will be gone before it needs filling again. :wacko:

mike

Have an oil distributor come by and dump an algacide into the fuel if stored that long. Algae grows in diesel fuel that is not consumed and plugs filters.

I'm thinking Cummins acquired Onan in 1987 or so.

Rob

I'm assuming the switch is easy to spot. Its not hidden? I'm looking right now and don't see anything.

if you need this too, i know where to get this its in conneticut i ended up replacing mine but like the other guy said go to 12 volts this switch is big like a gm starter.

SMOKEY

• 2 weeks later...

do yourself a favor,,get rid of all that wiring like i did,,and put in an air starter,,problem solved,,for around $1000 bucks.for everything,,or if your interested i can turn you on to someone that has a complete setup second hand,for sale,,bob

• 3 months later...