I Don't Get Paid Enough To Work This Hard...

RowdyRebel

So on Wednesday, I had a load a little different than my usual run. I had HOPED to get home early enough to run to town and take care of a few things that kinda have to be done during "normal" business hours...M-F 9-5. Anyway, I still loaded at my usual time, but a slightly different product going to a much closer location. I was figuring on being home by 1:00.

That was until I went to hook up my hose. It wasn't latching onto the pipe. :pat:

l_3da5a1306baa482dbd703b1f93ef58b8.jpg

No big deal...I'll go into my side box, where I have a 1/4" chain and a binder...perhaps I can use those to hold the hose securely against the pipe to get unloaded.

l_6d3858cd68a341088c0cd661a53762c6.jpg

I went to fire up the blower, and it was locked up. Had to remove the dust cover on the rear and use a pipe wrench to break it loose. I think there's a leak in the pipes somewhere, because it seems to happen whenever it is wet (i.e. rain) and then the temperature drops. Anyway, I get that freed up and pressurize the tank. Crack open the product valve and whuddayaknow, the hose leaked. Close the product valve, depressurize the tank, and come up with plan B.

Plan B was to remove the rear coupler that was broken so that I could cut the end off the hose and slip it over the end of the pipe...secure it with some hose clamps and unload. My 24" pipe wrench was too small. So were my jumbo channel locks. The ONLY thing I had that would grip the coupler was a pair of vice grips that has a chain instead of the normal jaws....but I was lacking leverage to turn the fitting to unscrew it.

So, I figured I'd just remove that rear section of pipe...just loosen a couple u-bolts that support it, slip it out of the rubber boot connecting it to the rear hopper, and do the same thing with the rear of the hopper that I had planned to do with the pipe.

Unfortunately, instead of loosening, the danged u-bolts just snapped. There would be no leaving the pipe in place. Wouldn't ya know that's a heavy sumbitch to wrestle with? Anyway, got it out from under the trailer and stowed up on the rear platform...under the bottom step on the ladder and wedged between the tank and the hose tubes. Used my 1/4" chain and binder to secure it in place...don't want to lose it and don't need johnny law writing me a citation for an unsecured load.

l_f33ff6a7e7c0453f92f0e2bade1d9ea4.jpg

Anyway, I cut the hose too close to the end to slip over the fitting on the product hose. The unworn section of the hose where I had cut it was too thick...too small of an inner diameter to fit over the fitting on the hopper. Luckily, there was a worn section about 10-12" up the hose, so I re-cut the hose there. Little bit of motor oil for lube and a screw driver to help convince the hose to slip on there and we were in business.

l_2009abcfbcd940d886b977aeab1337c9.jpg

All that work because of this... :pat:

l_63adf6cdf3ae409a8186e5b2b7500fa2.jpg

Needless to say, it took an extra hour and a half to get unloaded. Then, I had to go by the shop to have the trailer put back together. By the time I got home, it was past my bed time. :wacko:

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I hate it when all that happens! I work by myself also, you oughta see some of predicaments I get in, most of the time, I wind up needing bout 4 extra arms and hands. I usually wind up scratching my head a lot and using lots of rope or chain and binders trying to compensate for no extra help around. When I was mounting thumb on excavator a while back, had to run uptown for some parts, on way back passed a guy trying to hitch a ride, stopped and asked him if he wanted to work as a swamper bout an hour or two, he said no, just give me a ride. I told him to just keep his sorry, lazy ass walking then, and drove on off. I can tell by your story you are a very creative, resourceful person, so be careful and keep up the good work,,,randyp :clap:

And all your dispatcher wants to know WTF took so long. Not even a pat on the back for a job well done.

Gregg

Dispatcher probably figured he was messing with that danged static-y AM radio he's always complaining about instead of working.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Gah...that's why I'll never ever go near a pneumatic tanker again.

Yup...cuz them dumps NEVER have any problems. :rolleyes:

I've seen company trucks with the beds stuck up in the air that won't go down...airbags that won't deflate...tailgates that won't unlatch...loads froze up in the bed...all sorts of issues. Not to mention the tip-overs. :blink:

This is trucking. Don't matter what kind of wagon you're pulling, eventually you're gonna have problems. You will either have the ability to improvise, adapt, and overcome so you can do your job and get on down the road...or you will waste a lot more time (and money) sitting there waiting on a service truck to come bail you out.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Dispatcher probably figured he was messing with that danged static-y AM radio he's always complaining about instead of working.

When I called dispatch (from the shop, of course) I apologized for not calling in when empty. Sometimes on them shorter runs, they'll have something else to run. Once I explained what happened, it was no big deal. I guess I'm lucky...my dispatcher is pretty cool. :thumb:

I hate it when all that happens! I work by myself also, you oughta see some of predicaments I get in, most of the time, I wind up needing bout 4 extra arms and hands. I usually wind up scratching my head a lot and using lots of rope or chain and binders trying to compensate for no extra help around. When I was mounting thumb on excavator a while back, had to run uptown for some parts, on way back passed a guy trying to hitch a ride, stopped and asked him if he wanted to work as a swamper bout an hour or two, he said no, just give me a ride. I told him to just keep his sorry, lazy ass walking then, and drove on off. I can tell by your story you are a very creative, resourceful person, so be careful and keep up the good work,,,randyp :clap:

Use whatcha got to get done what needs gettin done....really ain't all that tough ta do if'n ya got half a brain and a few tools. :thumb:

'course anyone with a full brain prolly has a good enough job to be able to afford to pay someone else to do their dirty work... :pat:

Yup...cuz them dumps NEVER have any problems. :rolleyes:

I've seen company trucks with the beds stuck up in the air that won't go down...airbags that won't deflate...tailgates that won't unlatch...loads froze up in the bed...all sorts of issues. Not to mention the tip-overs. :blink:

This is trucking. Don't matter what kind of wagon you're pulling, eventually you're gonna have problems. You will either have the ability to improvise, adapt, and overcome so you can do your job and get on down the road...or you will waste a lot more time (and money) sitting there waiting on a service truck to come bail you out.

Yeh...while the trailer I usually use is mine, the other two are split between me and my dad...they don't get whored out, so we know what we've got.

I have borrowed/rented/stolen other trailers at times and it's always a crapshoot if it's going to work or not.

It's a shame that if you pay your broker a trailer use percentage on top of the normal finder's fee, that they can't keep their shit in top notch shape. And it's always your ass when something goes wrong, even though it's the fault of their equipment.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Yeh...while the trailer I usually use is mine, the other two are split between me and my dad...they don't get whored out, so we know what we've got.

I have borrowed/rented/stolen other trailers at times and it's always a crapshoot if it's going to work or not.

It's a shame that if you pay your broker a trailer use percentage on top of the normal finder's fee, that they can't keep their shit in top notch shape. And it's always your ass when something goes wrong, even though it's the fault of their equipment.

I've been the only one that has pulled this trailer since last May when I switched back to tanks. It was just a normal wear & tear type deal...when you haul granulated material and unload it with pressurized air blowing the product through a 5" hose, it's like an hour in the sand blaster on the inside of that pipe every load you unload.

The fitting that broke is SUPPOSED to look like this:

SS_A.jpg

...and the groove wore thin from the inside & broke off when I latched the hose end.

AL_C.jpg

It happens. :wacko:

When I worked for the company that I pulled the tanks for there was a guy who unhooked the hose with the tank pressurized still. I wish I could've been there to see it. It was a really fine powdery lime stuff and the hose plugged up, the guy thought he'd unhook the hose to unclog it. lol. I guess a quarter to a third of the load blew out EVERYWHERE.

When I called dispatch (from the shop, of course) I apologized for not calling in when empty. Sometimes on them shorter runs, they'll have something else to run. Once I explained what happened, it was no big deal. I guess I'm lucky...my dispatcher is pretty cool. :thumb:

My dispatch used to be "cool" but as the company gets bigger, it seems that the "corporate" attitude has taken hold in a big way. Rowdy you prolly see our trucks in your neck o' the woods cuz we are BIG and BAD and NATIONWIDE according to the owners. (PAGE TRANSPORTATION out of Weedsport, NY. There is a terminal in Marine, IL. I am dispatched out of the NY office, but I have been known to tour southern IL in and out of exotic places like Mounds and Rosiclare, western KY and Cape Girardeau, MO.

I am glad that the company is strong and has lots of freight to offer, but I feel like "Secret Agent Man" they have given me a number and taken away my name.

Gregg

Damn, you guys talking about work into my Sunday morning makes me tired.

Think I'll go get another cup of coffee, sit on my ass and vegitate for a while longer cause I'm now exhausted.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You hit on something, there Gambi. I own my trailer so I am able to maintain it as I see fit. This way I can minimize surprises out on the road. My company pays contractors the same rate your trailer or ours, then charges back trailer rent ( $275 a week!) for pulling their junk. At least I don't have to chase after them to fix the trailer or go out of route to their shop for repairs. I am out generating revenue Monday to Friday and I see company equipment in the shop missing loads losing money. Very rare that I call in with a breakdown or a missed load during the week. My only gripe is that the company should show a little more appreciation for us "trouble -free" operators.

Gregg

Too many companies are now becoming "corporate". Used to be decisions were made on a Local/regional level. Different conditions require different strategies. Now, we must check with the corporate office somewhere. they look out the window and say, hmm, sunny here, run the trucks. Meanwhile the local office has 2 feet of snow and more coming down.

I know a guy that was supposed to retire in October 2010. paperwork is ....... nobody knows where it is.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Damn, you guys talking about work into my Sunday morning makes me tired.

Think I'll go get another cup of coffee, sit on my ass and vegitate for a while longer cause I'm now exhausted.

Rob

Speaking of work on Sunday... I have 4 tires to change on the trailer today. 2 on the rear axle are starting to resemble my bald head. I got my C-service done and fixed some lights on Friday when I got home, yesterday was a washout here with sleet & rain all day. Today looks more conducive to working outside. Setting myself up for another "trouble-free" week. PAGE Transportation should have 50 more dedicated operators like me...

Gregg

Speaking of work on Sunday... I have 4 tires to change on the trailer today. 2 on the rear axle are starting to resemble my bald head. I got my C-service done and fixed some lights on Friday when I got home, yesterday was a washout here with sleet & rain all day. Today looks more conducive to working outside. Setting myself up for another "trouble-free" week. PAGE Transportation should have 50 more dedicated operators like me...

Gregg

I know what you mean. Seldom does a weekend pass that is not used to "catch up" on things needed for the personal vehicles or get a job done so it doesn't clutter the beginning of the week. It is snowing here again but not much for accumulation. I'm wanting the ice to melt off so I can get a couple things done outside while on a ladder. The wind took off a couple closing panels on my building and they need put back on so the sunlight and cold air stays outside.

Good employees are difficult to hire, and retain. I've been there and done that. Heartbreaking to realize how many people don't want to work but certainly expect a fat paycheck.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Good employees are difficult to hire, and retain. I've been there and done that. Heartbreaking to realize how many people don't want to work but certainly expect a fat paycheck.

Rob

Seems like we could find some middle ground. The larger a company gets, the corporate "heads" seem to forget how to appreciate good employees. As the GEICO man says: "A BIRD IN HAND REALLY IS WORTH TWO IN THE BUSH." And money isn't everything. A bit of respect and appreciation are fantastic motivational tools.

Gregg

I had a request by one of my customers that I deliver pool water to in the summer. They were having a pool and spa expo and the water at the building they rented was brown. They wanted to fill a small pool and a hot tub. Well a 2 hour job turned into 5 hours. The temps were around 30, not too bad, but seems the oil in the pumps that I run in the summer didn't like the cold temps and I had to pull my B@$&'s off. Mean while I was blocking the front doors with the truck because the pool was right in front and the doors opened while I was there. When I unhooked the hoses, the water had to go somewhere and of coarse it went right in front of the doors. Time for me to exit. If I didn't deliver 200,000 gallons of water for him a year, I think I would have stayed in bed. And to top it off, I made a whooping $120.00.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

You hit on something, there Gambi. I own my trailer so I am able to maintain it as I see fit. This way I can minimize surprises out on the road. My company pays contractors the same rate your trailer or ours, then charges back trailer rent ( $275 a week!) for pulling their junk. At least I don't have to chase after them to fix the trailer or go out of route to their shop for repairs. I am out generating revenue Monday to Friday and I see company equipment in the shop missing loads losing money. Very rare that I call in with a breakdown or a missed load during the week. My only gripe is that the company should show a little more appreciation for us "trouble -free" operators.

Gregg

Ha...talkin about hitting on something there. The co I go through has a bunch of douchebags brokered also, but it seems as though those who play politics the best get the better work, meanwhile those who know what they're doing and do it well get the scraps. And he takes 8% of gross for trailer rent. I figured it took a decent year to pay for a new dump trailer that way, so I bought one off the bat. If I've had to use one of his, be it a flatbed, lowboy or a different dump...I just fail to document it on the paperwork... B)

I am fortunate to work for a small enough company that does value their employees,and those that have earned it are given due respect,and i agree with Gambi,seems the F*#@ups are given every chance in the book and still manage to make it bad for everyone else! i have interviewed several potential drivers on my companies behalf,and their list of demands and what they will or wont do comes into play immediately! especially with regard to what i do,does NOBODY want to work anymore? i've heard "i dont touch freight","i dont go to New york","i dont drive at night etc." i usually respond with "well, what DO you do?!!!!!! i do realize specialized LTL is not for everyone, but we have not been able to hire/retain anyone in the last few years! and given the current economy,i cant figure out quite why.......Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

My dispatch used to be "cool" but as the company gets bigger, it seems that the "corporate" attitude has taken hold in a big way. Rowdy you prolly see our trucks in your neck o' the woods cuz we are BIG and BAD and NATIONWIDE according to the owners. (PAGE TRANSPORTATION out of Weedsport, NY. There is a terminal in Marine, IL. I am dispatched out of the NY office, but I have been known to tour southern IL in and out of exotic places like Mounds and Rosiclare, western KY and Cape Girardeau, MO.

I am glad that the company is strong and has lots of freight to offer, but I feel like "Secret Agent Man" they have given me a number and taken away my name.

Gregg

This company's been around a while...over 100 years. Over 500 trucks...no driver numbers. Dispatch don't even ask for our truck number unless they are new & having trouble finding us in the computer. There's about 4 people working in dispatch that know me by voice...don't even have to tell 'em who I am.

They've been good to me, both as a company driver and as an O/O. Equipment is in pretty good shape, too...but it is trucking and things do wear out occasionally. Like they say, $#!t happens. When I HAVE had problems, I carry tools to get my job done and get it back to their shop...and they have never complained about my "field repairs", either. :thumb:

...and can't say I ever seen ya around, either. Unless you do your driving on the 2-lanes, I prolly won't either. I just don't spend much time on the big road.

I am fortunate to work for a small enough company that does value their employees,and those that have earned it are given due respect,and i agree with Gambi,seems the F*#@ups are given every chance in the book and still manage to make it bad for everyone else! i have interviewed several potential drivers on my companies behalf,and their list of demands and what they will or wont do comes into play immediately! especially with regard to what i do,does NOBODY want to work anymore? i've heard "i dont touch freight","i dont go to New york","i dont drive at night etc." i usually respond with "well, what DO you do?!!!!!! i do realize specialized LTL is not for everyone, but we have not been able to hire/retain anyone in the last few years! and given the current economy,i cant figure out quite why.......Mark

Take away the "handouts" that are readily available and watch how hungry, and how fast they get that way.

If I hadn't been there and seen that in other countries, I wouldn't be so strong in my beliefs.

Rob

My first job was a camp counselor at a boy scout camp. We had a real hard-ass for a camp director, and on the first day every year, he gave his speech about how we were all employees of the camp, and that ANYTHING needing done at the camp was our job. He didn't care if our job title said "scoutcraft instructor" or "nature instructor", if the waterfront needed help Saturday morning for swim checks, THAT was our job. If the commissary needed an extra hand getting food ready for the units to pick up, THAT was our job. The first time he heard anyone utter the words "that ain't my job" they'd be on the next bus home.

I've taken that same attitude with me to every job I've worked since. Don't matter what it is, if it needs doing, it's my job.

I prolly wouldn't do too well in a union shop.

This company's been around a while...over 100 years. Over 500 trucks...no driver numbers. Dispatch don't even ask for our truck number unless they are new & having trouble finding us in the computer. There's about 4 people working in dispatch that know me by voice...don't even have to tell 'em who I am.

They've been good to me, both as a company driver and as an O/O. Equipment is in pretty good shape, too...but it is trucking and things do wear out occasionally. Like they say, $#!t happens. When I HAVE had problems, I carry tools to get my job done and get it back to their shop...and they have never complained about my "field repairs", either. :thumb:

...and can't say I ever seen ya around, either. Unless you do your driving on the 2-lanes, I prolly won't either. I just don't spend much time on the big road.

Aint really any BIG ROAD that goes to Rosiclare, now is there, Rowdy LOL. Seriously, I ain't skeered to get off the interstate, I try to pick the straightest line from point A to B and go for it.

Well you prolly won't see me this week I am going the other way, starting out Monday AM in Massatooshits so wish me luck!