Casket On Trailer

DCR

On one of the photos that I was looking at on this site, there was a B Model pulling a trailer with a casket on it. It looks like this may be part of a funeral procession. Being a funeral director and funeral home owner, this caught my attention. Can anyone give me the details? Just curious. Over the years we have had fire trucks carry caskets and on one funeral the deceased's pickup truck was used to carry his casket to the cemetery.

Thanks.

Denny

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

That is Morgan Heaton's truck, (B61 Fred). Send him a pm for details. I think it was part of a parade and not a death.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi,

Here's the story, My best freind, his dad and myself were eating dinner one sunday night. His dad says "I am calling the laywer tomorrow to make out my will." We started kinda joking around about how would we would like our funerals to be like ,and what would we want to give away to other people and the like. About 2 months later his dad died of a heart attack and it was in his will that he wanted hauled to the cemetary by the old Mack just as we talked about earlier. We figured we would have a little more time to have the truck restored by then. I worked on that truck for 2 days and nights, If you notice that the cab is painted by spray cans. It looked pretty good for what it looked like 2 days before.

Jerry was not a Mack man most of his life but, I think me and John converted him before it was all said and done. He enjoyed IH products, mostly cabovers. His last job he drove for was Gless Bros. tank lines. He had a CH mack and really liked it.

Morgan

P.S. If anyone would ever need this "service" again.....I would be honored

15 gears...no waiting!

Had a local racer pass away and they opened the dragstrip(winter time) for one last trip. Thought that was pretty cool.

Feeling old, but still wayy too young to be thinking about funeral plans. You never know though.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Had a local racer pass away and they opened the dragstrip(winter time) for one last trip. Thought that was pretty cool.

Feeling old, but still wayy too young to be thinking about funeral plans. You never know though.

Yur right there. Could happen at any time. I come up with one more Mack and I can forcast my own demise.

I don't have a current will but "Momma" knows I want "strapped to the deck", and pulled by my own truck when the time comes.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

As a fairly new member on this site I have really enjoyed the great humor that is present. But now I am going to get serious and climb on my soap box. I have been in the funeral industry nearly my entire life from working at two funeral homes while going to college to having my own funeral home for over 20 years. This ranges in age from 18 to my present age of 63. Age is no respecter of death and it can come at any time. I urge everyone to be prepared for the time by having an Estate Plan in effect. This can include such items as a trust, will, power of attorney, durable power of attorney for health care, living will, joint survivorship on property deeds and many other items. I have seen so many families that have not been prepared and it puts such a burden on the family at a time when stress and emotions are already at very high levels. Also, at this time we acquire a new family member, Uncle Sam, who has his hand out for State and Federal death taxes. Many of these taxes can be avoided or greatly reduced by proper estate planning. Many times businesses or assets have to be sold to pay these debts rather than leaving them for family members. The above items are just a small part of proper estate planning.

OK. I just stepped down off of my soap box and apologize in advance if I offended anyone by talking about this sensitive subject that is often neglected until it is too late.

On the lighter side, we recently had the funeral of the oldest Taco Bell employee in Ohio. He was 85 years old and worked part time. His family requested that we take the funeral procession through the drive thru, which is where he worked, on the was to the cemetery. We did it and you should have seen the faces on the lunch hour crowd that was there.

Denny

Denny

330-550-6020

...I have been in the funeral industry nearly my entire life from working at two funeral homes while going to college to having my own funeral home for over 20 years. This ranges in age from 18 to my present age of 63.

Denny

So if you don't mind my asking, how did you get involved with trucks? I for one got involved through a combination of stupidity and hard-headedness.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

A friend and me always joked about when we die we would get creamated.then Head over to our old Mack. fire it up, pull the throttle control knob and set it to full RPM, remove the air filter and send us on our way. Dont know if that will ever happen but im pretty sure it will????. On a serious note a will does save the family alot of un answered questions and concerns.

I have always been interested in trucks and equipment since I was a kid growing up in my father's gas station and always fond of the B Model Macks. I have a Cat skid steer and mini excavator that I use around my property or to help out family members and friends and had a Ford dump to pull them. I recently sold the Ford and bought the 1958 B61 that had been converted to a dump. I am not the typical stereotype funeral director. My everyday driver is a Ford 350 King Ranch pickup not a Cadillac or Lincoln. So the Mack fits right in. I do use the Caddy to lead the procession.

Denny

Edited by DCR

Denny

330-550-6020

I have always been interested in trucks and equipment since I was a kid growing up in my father's gas station and always fond of the B Model Macks. I have a Cat skid steer and mini excavator that I use around my property or to help out family members and friends and had a Ford dump to pull them. I recently sold the Ford and bought the 1958 B61 that had been converted to a dump. I am not the typical stereotype funeral director. My everyday driver is a Ford 350 King Ranch pickup not a Cadillac or Lincoln. So the Mack fits right in. I do use the Caddy to lead the procession.

Denny

If you like B Models you would enjoy going to Macungie,PA over fathers day weekend, great show 500-600(maybe more) trucks you wont be disapointed. Ron

When my grandfather passed in 2004, I carried his casket to the cemetary on the back of my flatbed Ford, the funeral director looked at me like I was crazy when I told him that this is what we wanted to do, I really didnt care what anyone thought to be honest. The man was involved in transportation industry for almost 40 years, and was the shop steward in the vehicle maintenance shop for Pan Am Airways for nearly 15 years prior to retirement. I followed his footsteps and became a Teamster. I remember I wore his Pan Am jacket as I drove that truck...it was a sad day, but I know as he looked down he would have been smiling ear to ear knowing that him and I were taking our last ride together. It really meant alot to me to be able to do that for him. When my time comes my wish would be to have an old Mack carry me to my final resting place...I never really was the Cadillac kind :rmod_dump::bmod_dump::bmod_trac::bmod_mix::rmod_mix::SMOKIE-RT::SMOKIE-LFT::MackLogo:

Kind of a morbid subject,but one we all have to deal with eventually. My dad took his last ride in his beloved Peterbilt 359 (i know,i know!) after he was cremated. My dad drove trucks all his life,and at my mothers request this was deemed a fitting tribute to someone that spent 50 years in the cab of a truck! our funeral director was more than accomodating with this unusual request,and i was happy i was able to do it for him. I actually parked his truck in the "loop" in front of the funeral home,so people could have a better look at what he made his living with,i had spent the 2 prior nights polishing/cleaning etc. wanted it to look good,and it helped to take my mind off of things. When he looked down, (or up LOL!) i'm sure he would have been proud! My wife is fully aware that my last ride will be in a Mack when my time comes!.................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

So if you don't mind my asking, how did you get involved with trucks? I for one got involved through a combination of stupidity and hard-headedness.

LMAO! sounds kinda' like me,mine was a combination of being a not-so good student,not knowing any better,and liking the smell of diesel smoke!..Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.